Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General & Off-Topic Topics > The BS Topic
User Name
Password

Old 11-21-2009, 09:24:37 AM   #1
mnz28
Veteran Member

reddy heater help

Anybody repair these??
Wont light the kerosene the ignitor glows for a few seconds then the fan starts. I can see the fuel being sprayed. Runs a total of 10 seconds then shuts down.
I have checked the fuel pressure,cleaned the filters, pulled what they call the fuel filter.
Does anybody know how to check if the photocell is bad? From everything I have read it sounds like it should shut it down only if it senses something wrong with the flame but I cant even get that far.
Has anyone ever gotten bad kerosene? I filled the can and put about a gallon in to top off the tank. Then the problems started.
It confuses me cause the ignitor lights and the fuel sprays and fan runs just wont ignite.
Any other Ideas?
1980 Z-28 400 4spd 4:10 posi
http://community.webshots.com/user/mnz28
mnz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:58:03 PM   #2
marauder64ky
Veteran Member

Good luck. I used to think that I could fix about anything but my heater got the best of me. Fire up and run every time.......for about 5 seconds. Then shuts down. Tried everything to fix it. Now it sets in the corner of the garage.
marauder64ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 11-21-2009, 09:47:12 PM   #3
mnz28
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder64ky
Good luck. I used to think that I could fix about anything but my heater got the best of me. Fire up and run every time.......for about 5 seconds. Then shuts down. Tried everything to fix it. Now it sets in the corner of the garage.
Yeah im in the same boat. im thinking mine is headed for the same fate
1980 Z-28 400 4spd 4:10 posi
http://community.webshots.com/user/mnz28
mnz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:56:28 PM   #4
Camaro4life18
Veteran Member

I have never worked on one of these before, but I have worked on some industrial heating and a/c units. Do these things have any sensors like a temp probe, O2 sensor, or something. It sounds like a safety is shutting it down.

Although I would think a safety cutoff would shut down the fuel :P

Cars, Computers, and Women, my 3 favorite things. All nothing but trouble

Project Progress.. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194655

Joseph
Camaro4life18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:58:02 PM   #5
gin man
Gold Member

From Google(typed in reddy heater troubleshooting):
“My heater runs for 30 seconds and shuts down” is the most common question I am asked. Listed below are some of the more obvious troubleshooting tips:

If you brought the heater to our shop we would immediately check the pump pressure. Always-check the pump pressure FIRST. The pumped air eventually sucks the fuel from the tank. Low pump pressure translates directly to poor fuel delivery. Loss of only ˝ psi can cause as much as 30% reduction in fuel delivery (starvation).
By performing a pressure check much valuable time is saved in the troubleshooting process. And, it’s easy. For instructions visit www.reddyparts.com/pressure.htm .
If there is zero psi, then the problem is almost certain to be a broken rotor. If there is “some” pressure then adjust the pressure to specs.
If unable to reach specs, then look for an air leak. If you don’t want to check the air pressure- then take the heater to someone else to fix, because you will never make a heater mechanic! (No offense intended.) Correct pressure is critical. If you don’t have a low pressure (0-15 psi) gauge order HA1181 or HA1182 or find one locally. Our gauges are complete. We have accumulated all of the fittings so you don’t have to go to 3 different stores shopping for the correct components.
If there is zero psi, then the problem is almost certain to be a broken rotor. If there is “some” pressure, then adjust the pressure to specs. If unable to reach specs, then look for an air leak, using soapy water. Stay clear of electrical components (shock hazard) and the fan blade (knuckle hazard).
Next, shine a flashlight into the fuel tank. Look for water/debris/contamination. Any of these conditions will produce a flame-out condition causing the photocell to shut the heater down. Drain & replace the fuel, if necessary.
Check to see if the sparkplug is sparking. No spark? Check the ignition device (aka transformer, spark box). Note: the ignition device MUST have a good ground.
Check plug gap. It should be 60-80 thousandths, about the thickness of a dime.
If the sparkplug is worn on the tip replace it.
If all of the above are ok, REMOVE the spray nozzle, check for obstruction. Use compressed air (wear eye protection) from the front of the nozzle to clear.
Nozzles don’t last forever. The hole becomes worn, it then produces a spray instead of a fog which results in ignition failure. Replace it.
The Nozzle is worn. DESA recommends annual replacement. If the pressure is correct and the heater fires off & runs with the top cover off, but goes out when the lid is replaced, then it’s a 90% good bet that the nozzle is worn. Replace it.
The air pump (rotor) pumps air to the nozzle. In turn, the air sucks fuel from the tank then the air & fuel mix at the nozzle and creates atomization. IMPORTANT: if the fuel is sprayed instead of fogged then incomplete combustion will occur and the photocell will shut the heater down. If there is an air leak ANYWHERE between the pump and the nozzle THE PUMP WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACHIEVE FACTORY SPECIFIED PUMP PRESSURE and you will NEVER be able to get the heater to run properly! Find the leak with soapy water and fix the leak, and then set the pressure. If the fuel filter is restricted or the fuel line is cracked there will be poor fuel delivery.
If all of the above checks out Ok, then the photocell is either dirty, poorly aimed, or defective. Test by temporarily bypassing.

Please understand that my recommendation for trouble shooting comes strictly from the description that has been given to me over the internet. If your heater was in our shop, I may have a different evaluation of the problem.

Setting the pump pressure

Illustration by DESA International

Use 0-15 psi
HA1181 or HA1182

Low pressure gauge & fittings inserted in the end
cover in order to set the pump to factory specs.

Locate the black plastic end cover that is mounted on the intake end of the motor/pump assembly. Some end covers are round, some are rectangular. The end cover will have 2 protrusions, 1 long and one short, and a receptacle that houses the foam air filter.

The long protrusion houses the pump adjuster (relief valve) which consists of a ball, spring, & adjustment screw. The ball is inserted first, then the spring, then the screw w/hole. The purpose of the adjuster is to allow excess air to escape. If the pump is operating properly the further the screw is run in the tighter the spring & ball, the higher the pressure. Therefore, if unable to reach or exceed the pressure required for your heater, then there is a problem “before” the air reaches the gauge, either the rotor is defective or there is an air leak (the 2 most likely spots to check with soapy water are the cork gasket that surrounds the lint filter or possibly a crack in the black plastic cover itself).

The short protrusion normally has a solid plug inserted. Remove the plug- insert the gauge.

Turn the adjusting screw until the required pressure is reached.

Q. What if the pressure can’t be reached?
A. Using soapy water check for very, lather type, fine bubbles around the lint filter assembly point and check for a crack(s) in the black plastic end cover. Stop the leaks and the pressure will come up provided the rotor & vanes are intact, have the proper gap, and are functional. And, provided the motor is turning the correct revolutions.