NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Electrical Systems
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2009, 10:16:50 PM   #1
bigbear40
Veteran Member

Remote Starter Solenoid Problem

I just installed a remote starter solenoid (or the ford type starter solenoid) and I go to start my camaro and heres the problem. The starter starts the car fine but while the cars running the starter is still engaging for like 3 seconds after and I'm not holding the key or anything. What could cause that?

Is something getting stuck?

Please Help.

Thank you.
bigbear40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 11-06-2009, 11:20:45 PM   #2
onovakind67
Veteran Member

Why does my starter seem to "run on" after the switch is released?

This is a common complaint on Ford permanent magnet starters, although it can occur on any permanent magnet starter in the right conditions. This situation develops when the ignition terminal on the starter is "jumpered" to the battery terminal on the starter and a remote solenoid is used. Permanent magnet starters can actually produce power if they are driven from an outside source (i.e. the starter will act like an alternator once the engine fires and starts spinning). The current produced in the starter for this second or so will flow from the starter's battery terminal to the starters ignition terminal and hold the solenoid in. This will cause the one to two second delay in the solenoid release and an irritating noise. The solution is to wire the starter per the instruction sheet, which will ensure that the ignition switch terminal goes dead the instance the key is released.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/faq-starter.html
Old 11-06-2009, 11:48:19 PM   #3
marc_b
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67
Why does my starter seem to "run on" after the switch is released?

This is a common complaint on Ford permanent magnet starters, although it can occur on any permanent magnet starter in the right conditions. This situation develops when the ignition terminal on the starter is "jumpered" to the battery terminal on the starter and a remote solenoid is used. Permanent magnet starters can actually produce power if they are driven from an outside source (i.e. the starter will act like an alternator once the engine fires and starts spinning). The current produced in the starter for this second or so will flow from the starter's battery terminal to the starters ignition terminal and hold the solenoid in. This will cause the one to two second delay in the solenoid release and an irritating noise. The solution is to wire the starter per the instruction sheet, which will ensure that the ignition switch terminal goes dead the instance the key is released.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/faq-starter.html

Cool, I learned something new today.
marc_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:19:00 AM   #4
bigbear40
Veteran Member

I did wire the solenoid per the instruction sheet.
I just used thicker gauge wire for the jumper but that shouldnt cuz a problem correct?

Also, the wire that comes from inside the starter housing itself goes to the R terminal correct? and I dont have to extend that wire at all correct?

Thanks
bigbear40 is offline   Reply With Quote