NastyZ28 Forum



Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > Engine Topic
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 10:31:16 AM   #1
80-z28
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 521
Z-MAX oil additive

Does anyone use the Z-MAX oil or fuel additive in their engine? If so,what are your opinions about it?
80-z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:12:11 PM   #2
badazz81z28
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MO, USA!
Posts: 9,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-z28
Does anyone use the Z-MAX oil or fuel additive in their engine? If so,what are your opinions about it?


I used the treatment a few times in my 96 Jeep Cherokee. Dont know if prevented/improved anything....but I drove it to 140,XXX miles before my wife wrecked it. Never had a mechancial problem with it.
badazz81z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:41:52 PM   #3
Simon@London
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 1,244
Just another scam.

Their sales pitch states Z_max penetrates into the metal for better protection against wear. How it works better than oil is beyond me and I am sure it does not. They have so many motor sports guys plugging this crap now with the latest Ken Herring commercial.

Shelby has been plugging this Cash Cow for years.

Don't buy into it it's about on par with all those anti-bacteria plugs two years back. Tests proved plain soap did same thing and most times better.
Simon@London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:07:00 PM   #4
badazz81z28
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MO, USA!
Posts: 9,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@London
Just another scam.

Their sales pitch states Z_max penetrates into the metal for better protection against wear. How it works better than oil is beyond me and I am sure it does not. They have so many motor sports guys plugging this crap now with the latest Ken Herring commercial.

Shelby has been plugging this Cash Cow for years.

Don't buy into it it's about on par with all those anti-bacteria plugs two years back. Tests proved plain soap did same thing and most times better.


In a way I feel this way about all over the counter products. Theres just no such thing as a miracle product. The engine restore, trans restore, leak fixes ect...Just scams
badazz81z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:44:30 PM   #5
COPO
Lifetime Gold Member
 
COPO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 12,986
The Co is going to court over the misleading advertising. It's BS snake oil.
__________________
Mark
My 70 Z28 Web Site http://www.nastyz28.com/~copo/index.htm
Twitter
Qjet rebuilt etc http://www.nastyz28.com/~copo/qjet.zip
The angle of the tangle X's the heat of the meat = the mass of the ASS.
COPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:39:53 PM   #6
496z28
Lifetime Gold Member
 
496z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 695
I'll play on the other side!! I personally use zmax in all my vehicles, and my DD is a 01 saturn with 198k miles on it.. At 155k my engine started smoking upon cold startup, also had a big problem with oil consumption! The car was using on average about 2 quarts to every 3k miles (it only holds 4qts).
I started using Zmax at every oil change (3-4k miles). Now, 40+k miles later, the car no longer smokes on startup. The oil consumption is down to about a 1/4qt every 3-5k miles!!
I also put it in my lawnmower and it too quit smoking.. This one kinda sucked cause now the mower don't kill the mosquitoes anymore!! LOL

I say it's not snake oil, and I also say this age old saying---- Don't knock it until you try it... If you haven't used it on a constant basis, you really have no opinion!! nbl..
__________________
David

1967 RS Project
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275195
496z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:03:23 PM   #7
muscl car
Lifetime Gold Member
 
muscl car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: san bernardino calif
Posts: 17,422
i used to use pro-blend "racing" oil additive and pro-blend "racing" trans additive in all of my cars in the mid to late 80's and noticed a big difference especially in reduced oil and water temps along less oil consumption .after using pro-blend for many years and very satisfied with the results i switched to lucas hvy duty oil stabilizer and have used one bottle at ea oil change in my camaro and again very satisfied with the results . i've run lucas oil stabilizer in t/cases and rear axles with good results and will continue using it
__________________

baldwin motion phase III Z/30 clone


1972 chevy camaro ss

1970 LT1 350sbc / 425hp 11.1:1 comp, GM #140 off-road solid lifter cam ,holley strip dominator
2" open spacer and holley 750dp ...........all old school 70's performance parts

old school pic

my old school camaro idle video
muscl car is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:03:17 AM   #8
Ted
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscl car
i used to use pro-blend "racing" oil additive and pro-blend "racing" trans additive in all of my cars in the mid to late 80's and noticed a big difference especially in reduced oil and water temps along less oil consumption .after using pro-blend for many years and very satisfied with the results i switched to lucas hvy duty oil stabilizer and have used one bottle at ea oil change in my camaro and again very satisfied with the results . i've run lucas oil stabilizer in t/cases and rear axles with good results and will continue using it

I've used pro-blend products since the early 80's and have been very pleased with the results. A LT-1 I built in 80 and tore down in 89 with many passes at the track and many miles on the street had bearings that looked like new.
__________________
Ted
80 Z28
377
Liberty's TKO600
4.10 12 bolt
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:10:13 PM   #9
Bikefixr
Lifetime Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,377
Z-Max won't hurt anything, but it won't help. Oil can not penetrate into metal. The parent company is owned by the same people who own NASCAR and a couple of the tracks as well. They sell various different additives under many names. The US Gov Federal Trade Commission sued them and won on every cont and got millions in fines. The FTC sued many of the additive makers and won across the board. None of them could prove their claims, including Dura-Lube, Motor-Up, Prolong, Tufoil, Slick50 etc... An independent analysis of Z-Max showed it to be colored mineral oil and some other stuff that swells the dried-out rubber seals. I lost a lot of respect for Carrol Shelby when he started plugging this stuff.

Slick 50 in $20M lawsuit, loses to FTC.

Blue Corral, the manufacturers of the Slick 50 engine oil additive, have been banned by the Federal Trade Commission from making claims about reduced engine wear, increased fuel economy and lower running temperatures in it's advertising in America. The Federal Commission found the company's claims of increased performance and reduced wear were unsubstantiated, and Blue Corral has agreed to pay upwards of $20M in damages to affected customers.
Source: Max Power magazine, March 1998.
MotorUp loses to FTC for deceptive advertising claims.

MotorUp loses to FTC for deceptive advertising claims.

In an ongoing campaign targeting ads that tout motor oil additives with deceptive claims that they reduce engine wear or extend engine life compared to motor oil alone, the FTC has charged the seller of Motor Up Engine Treatment with making unsubstantiated and deceptive advertising claims, in violation of federal laws. Motor Up Corporation and its principal, Kyle Burns, face an administrative trial.

ZMax loses case against an FTC settlement for misleading advertising.

The Federal Trade Commission filed suit in a U. S. District Court that sought to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and which asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleged that enhanced performance claims for the product were unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually mineral oil tinted with food colouring..

I can go on and on....

Last edited by Bikefixr : 09-27-2009 at 05:30:30 PM.
Bikefixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 09-27-2009, 05:57:45 PM   #10
GoldenOne7710
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 3,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikefixr
ZMax loses case against an FTC settlement for misleading advertising.

The Federal Trade Commission filed suit in a U. S. District Court that sought to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and which asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleged that enhanced performance claims for the product were unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually mineral oil tinted with food colouring..
I'm thinking Zmax went back to court with the FTC in 2003 and won their case and were allowed to continue marketing their product. I still wouldn't use it though.....or any other oil additive. My 1994 Honda Accord has over 300K on the clock and hasn't ever had the 1st additive put in it.
__________________
-Andy
1979 Z/28

NRA Life Member
GeorgiaCarry.org Member
GeorgiaPacking.org Member
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Equal Opportunity Offender
GoldenOne7710 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:53:37 PM   #11
muscl car
Lifetime Gold Member
 
muscl car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: san bernardino calif
Posts: 17,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenOne7710
I'm thinking Zmax went back to court with the FTC in 2003 and won their case and were allowed to continue marketing their product. I still wouldn't use it though.....or any other oil additive. My 1994 Honda Accord has over 300K on the clock and hasn't ever had the 1st additive put in it.

i'm thinking of going back to pro-blend and like i mentioned back in the 80's i had really good results when i was using this product . going to try their drag race formula and more of their transmission formula




__________________

baldwin motion phase III Z/30 clone


1972 chevy camaro ss

1970 LT1 350sbc / 425hp 11.1:1 comp, GM #140 off-road solid lifter cam ,holley strip dominator
2" open spacer and holley 750dp ...........all old school 70's performance parts

old school pic

my old school camaro idle video

Last edited by muscl car : 09-27-2009 at 09:59:39 PM.
muscl car is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:14:43 PM   #12
ThumperZ28
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oceanside,California
Posts: 1,002
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscl car
i'm thinking of going back to pro-blend and like i mentioned back in the 80's i had really good results when i was using this product . going to try their drag race formula and more of their transmission formula






u think autozone carries it or napa or pepboys....

..
ThumperZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:00:12 AM   #13
Lowend
Administrator
 
Lowend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: San Jose, CA, USA
Posts: 12,325
__________________
“well, I thought it was funny”
  • This makes sense. I'm agreeing with Lowend,. - Shawn 1/27/2011
  • Lowend sit down for a minute because I'm going to agree with you on this point - Knuckle Dragger 12/14/2012
  • I (gulp) very much agree with this - 69LM1 1/12/2013
Lowend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:04:51 AM   #14
1970camaroRS
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 2,606
Know what I found works. Pure, real, actual full synthetic oil. Know what else works well? Cheap dino stuff that's changed every 3,000 miles. Ask my 142,000 mile 2000 Camaro SS how full synthetic with no additives works.
1970camaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:47:06 AM   #15
rscamaro73
Administrator
 
rscamaro73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Striking fear and destroying the enemy from my borders
Posts: 14,832
My dad used to have a Honda Civic....drove it at least 3000 miles a month and sat in much traffic on the way home 5-6 days a week. Changed the oil monthly with cheap WalMart oil and Fram filters. Well over 100K+ miles w/o issues.
__________________
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in THIS country who no longer understand it.'

http://community.webshots.com/user/rscamaro73
Facebook - rscamaro73

I'm sometimes called Wayne


rscamaro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Copyright © 1997 - 2014 NastyZ28.com Inc.
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.