NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Electrical Systems
User Name
Password

Old 08-12-2009, 01:49:22 AM   #1
Shakedown
Veteran Member

Fusible link...

My fusible link is giving me nothing but problems. the plastic casing thing holding it has a bad spring in it or something, and it seems that the fuse is loose in the casing.

I am about to replace it with a new fusible link, but I was wondering your guys take on these:

Are they necessary? If they are, why is it in my best interest to have one?

Can I solder in new wire to replace/delete it?

Please tell me what you think. Thanks a lot.

1979 Camaro Hard Top
Fresh 350, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock Intake, Headers, Flowmaster Exhaust system, HID Conversion, fresh interior. Fresh 3.73 Posi
Summer car

I NEED: Door panels (daily driver condition), 4 speed parts possibly. Z28 Gauge cluster. PM ME if you have parts THANKS.

1988 Pontiac Trans Am. 305/5 speed/ T Tops car. Daily driver.
Shakedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:53:55 AM   #2
Erics69
Veteran Member

Since fuse-able links were original to your wiring you should just replace the link you are having problems with. They are not at all necessary but are nice. All they do is protect a certain circuit from overload that could cause a fire or other electrical problems. If a circuit develops too much load for a wire to handle but not enough load to blow a fuse block fuse they have a fuse able link which as you know is nothing but a fuse inline that protects that circuit. You should replace it. But I've always had first gen Camaro's which never have had fuseable links and have never had any problems. It's your choice weather you want to or not.
Erics69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:02:53 AM   #3
Shakedown
Veteran Member

Thanks for your opinion. Right now i'm 50/50. I could go either way. I just want to see what people say on here. I'm sure if I replace the the one I have now with a new one, I will be just fine. And I guess if I was going to solder a wire in there anyways, why not just solder a new fusible link instead...

I guess I have some thinking to do.

Thanks

1979 Camaro Hard Top
Fresh 350, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock Intake, Headers, Flowmaster Exhaust system, HID Conversion, fresh interior. Fresh 3.73 Posi
Summer car

I NEED: Door panels (daily driver condition), 4 speed parts possibly. Z28 Gauge cluster. PM ME if you have parts THANKS.

Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 08-12-2009, 11:14:24 AM   #4
onovakind67
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erics69
Since fuse-able links were original to your wiring you should just replace the link you are having problems with. They are not at all necessary but are nice. All they do is protect a certain circuit from overload that could cause a fire or other electrical problems. If a circuit develops too much load for a wire to handle but not enough load to blow a fuse block fuse they have a fuse able link which as you know is nothing but a fuse inline that protects that circuit. You should replace it. But I've always had first gen Camaro's which never have had fuseable links and have never had any problems. It's your choice weather you want to or not.

A fusible link is there to protect the wiring, not the devices in the circuit. If large amounts of smoke and flames are what you are looking for, remove the fusible link.
I'd be interested to see the wiring diagram of the particular Camaro you owned without a fusible link. Here's one from a 1967:

Old 08-12-2009, 11:21:20 AM   #5
EricsZ28
Lifetime Gold Member

I agree, put it back in.

When I put the fusible links back into my '80 (the previous owner's mechanic had removed them), I connected one end to a connector (that bolted to the starter) and I soldered the other end to the wire. I used heat shrink on the connections as well.
EricsZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:21:34 AM   #6
MadMike
Dr. Feelgood

What circuit is this?

A fuseable link is a wire, 4 guages smaller than the circuit it's protecting.

What I think you're describing is an inline fuse - like you'd find in a radio circuit... a plastic case with a glass or ATO style fuse spliced inline. That's why you're talking about a spring & a case... I think?

A fuse is a fuse... fusable links are typically used in something that's designed into the system as a whole, whereas an inline fuse is often used to something that's being added to a system. As long as the circuit is protected appropriately, I don't think the style of fuse matters.
MadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:42:23 PM   #7
Shakedown
Veteran Member

The "inline fuse" is what I think I am using. It is the plastic case with the spring.

They have always worked fine for me in the past, but for some reason, the spring in this case is just very bad. I am definitely going to use a new one, like you guys have advised me to do, instead of replacing the fusible link with wire.

1979 Camaro Hard Top
Summer car

Old 08-12-2009, 12:47:00 PM   #8
79camaro2001
Lifetime Gold Member

Where is this inline fuse located?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:31:32 PM   #9
Shakedown
Veteran Member

The inline fuse was going right to the starter. But I relocated it further up the wiring, up by my firewall/cowl, and i'm glad I did because its so much more accessible now.

1979 Camaro Hard Top
Summer car

Old 08-12-2009, 02:32:02 PM   #10
Shakedown
Veteran Member

Let me add that its still going to the starter now. Its just located further up.

1979 Camaro Hard Top
Summer car

Old 08-12-2009, 05:16:14 PM   #11
gin man
Gold Member

One thing to consider is that if you continue to have issues with the fuse, it may be because it can't handle the inrush current for starter as easily as a fusible link and may fatigue over time.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:31:53 PM   #12
MadMike
Dr. Feelgood

Another observation from the peanut gallery - in 1979 the fuse in the wire you're talking about was originally a fuseable link. Sounds like it popped sometime in the past and someone put an inline fuse into that wire rather than use a fusable link. 6 of 1 - 1/2 dozen of another - but sounds like something may have happened to that wire in the past. The wire your talking about should be black... 2 black wires together with a heavy lug going to the BAT post on the starter. Those have/had fuseable links in them cause that's the power distribution point for the rest of your car.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:38:43 PM   #13
MadMike
Dr. Feelgood

Correcting myself above - in 1980 they're black. In 1978 there is 1 wire - red, 14 guage - protecting a 10 guage red (that you probably can't see). I don't know if 79 is similar to 78 or 80, but regardless....

You need to be careful where you put the fuse because there's a splice (crimp) in that wire that distributes power to different places. The fuse is right after the starter to kill the car dead if there's a problem.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:18:41 PM   #14
Gary S
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedown
The "inline fuse" is what I think I am using. It is the plastic case with the spring.

They have always worked fine for me in the past, but for some reason, the spring in this case is just very bad. I am definitely going to use a new one, like you guys have advised me to do, instead of replacing the fusible link with wire.

Get rid of the fuse and put in a fusable link. a fuse and all the messy connections it takes to put it together will never be reliable as you already have found out. There are very good reasons that GM used fusable links instead of fuse.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote