NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Body Restoration
User Name
Password

Old 06-12-2009, 07:42:08 PM   #1
arick793
Veteran Member

How to "scuff and shoot"?

My car finally runs and drives, and I've just got to get it on the road this summer. It won't really be driven in the rain, and it definitely won't see snow. I'll completely disassemble the car again in a few years when I have a nice shop and do a nice rotisserie restoration. My car has no rust through, just a little bit of surface rust. My plan is to put a wire wheel on my grinder and take that all off and then spray paint some rust preventing primer over it, and then scuff the whole car with a DA sander (what grit or grits should I use? ) and then seal the whole thing (what sealer would work best? Is there a sealer/ primer I can paint over? ) and then a couple coats of base coat/ clear coat. I have some decent guns and the shop I'm painting in has a great air compressor set up for painting. I have wookies painting DVD, which was very helpful, I'm just looking for some scuff and shoot tips. I'm not filling in any high or low spots and I'm covering up the junk front end with a bra. What I'm getting at is that I'm not trying to do a show paint job, I just want the car to be one color, not rust, and I don't want the paint to all come off in sheets. Thanks! Oh by the way, there is no Maaco within 500 miles, otherwise my car would have been there months ago

Here's a picture of what I'm working with

Last edited by arick793 : 06-12-2009 at 08:17:04 PM.
arick793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:07:15 PM   #2
wookie
Paint Guru

320 DA then a NASON sealer and shoot away. Ask your paint salesman which he recommends.

You may want to 400 wet sand the entire car before base coating it. Or even go one more step to 600 wet then seal.

-Elbert Hubbard

My name is Mark.
wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals