NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General Topics > Project Progress
User Name
Password

Old 06-09-2009, 03:37:47 PM   #1
LT1 WS6
Veteran Member

LT1/T56 79TA swap

Anyone care to see this? I've started on the swap but wanted to get a head start before posting about it. Just wanted to make sure there would be interest here before I started plastering my Trans Am all over a Camaro site. Thanks

79TA being converted to an LT1/T56 combo.

My thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155518

Last edited by LT1 WS6 : 07-11-2009 at 12:39:52 AM.
LT1 WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:53:07 PM   #2
dingo0722

I would. I would like to see how you put in the t56 as this is what I want to also do. In particular the mod you need to make to the car if any to get it to fit correct

Last edited by dingo0722 : 06-09-2009 at 10:15:14 PM.
dingo0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:18:10 PM   #3
V8TEC
Lifetime Gold Member

Location: Declaring myself a black ziptie master, second only to Freiburger.
Yes....definitely would like pics & info!
'77 Type LT - 86K, White/Black, ZZ3 w/ported heads & Comp 1.52s, SMI Stage 2 Qjet, P-D HEI, Hooker 1žs, LS1 T56, MGW shifter, 4.10 Auburn 10-bolt, PTFB Stop-Flex, 80Z springs, WS6 bars, Bilsteins. Project Progress
'13 Wrangler Rubicon, Red/Black, 3.4 VVT V6, 6M, 4.10 Dana 44s, loaded
'03 Olds Alero GL - Silver, 3.4
'05 Tahoe Z71 4x4 - Black, 5.3, K&N, Grabber AT2's, Bilsteins
V8TEC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:36:54 PM   #4
moms1978
Veteran Member

please show us everything,
moms1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:38:54 PM   #5
70 splitbumper
Veteran Member

Would love to see it. Post everything you can please.
70 splitbumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:54:03 PM   #6
LT1 WS6
Veteran Member

OK, give me a few more days and I'll start with what I have.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:59:54 PM   #7
Hoot
Veteran Member

They let us post pontiac pictures, BUT you gotta pass the tube door quiz first !!
Nothing to it, but to Duit !
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 06-09-2009, 10:26:57 PM   #8
Timeattack
Veteran Member

I would love to see it done
Old 06-10-2009, 10:49:31 PM   #9
LT1 WS6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot
They let us post pontiac pictures, BUT you gotta pass the tube door quiz first !!

I'm afraid to ask what this is but go ahead and quiz me if you must.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:16:49 AM   #10
Hoot
Veteran Member

Ok heres your homework. Read this thread. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...highlight=levi

Ill let the Veterans give you the quiz. LOL
Nothing to it, but to Duit !
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:43:39 AM   #11
LT1 WS6
Veteran Member

Well, as some of you know I totaled my 96 Formula back on Feb 28th. I got out of school for the summer on May 8th. That day I started tearing the car apart to get the drive train out and part the rest of it for money. The plan for this summer is to put the LT1/T56 combo into my 79TA and make it driving again. I don't have a lot to spend so I'm doing it cheaply but correctly. Unfortunately, in order to get the car rolling down the road again with the LT1 in it, I need to do brake work as well. So I'll be updating this as I go with more than just the LT1/T56 swap. I plan to get pretty detailed once I get into the LT1 swap part itself. I figure it is bound to help someone with a second gen. There aren't too many of us here yet.

For now though, I'll start with tear down photos of the TA and some clean up. I'm moving quickly on the car so I'll have more to show soon. It's just a matter of getting the pics uploaded and replies typed up.

Yes, the motor is green. Laugh all you want. I do not care. What you're looking at is a heads/cam 403 with a TH350 behind it.

As you can see, I'll have some rot repair to do also. No way this is going back on without being fixed or replaced first. I have some plans though for strengthening it before I put the core support back in. I'll be building for function not restoration.

She is actually running in this picture. I had to get the car from behind the shop into the shop. It's the last time that engine ran in this car. The person who bought the drive train has a 79 SE TA. He's using mine to teach his sons how to work on and build engines. He already has a motor in his TA.

Hood fenders inner and out removed.

More of the rot from the battery. The battery is being relocated to the trunk as part of the swap.

Front clip completely removed at this point

And now the subframe is stripped and ready to pull

This picture shows what the subframe looked like before I started cleaning away the rust, dirt, and grime. You can also see a section I have completed and my tool for getting this mess off the metal. Aside from sand blasting, the wire wheel on the end of an electric die grinder works tremendously well. You have to wear gloves, eye protection, and ear protection. The thing is a monster. The only downside is getting into tight spaces. It really can't do that very well but if you're working quickly and on a tight budget, this thing works wonders. It'll also tear through undercoating pretty well. The wire wheel won't harm the metal like you would think it should.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:44:17 AM   #12
LT1 WS6
Veteran Member

All clean and wiped down with Ospho to convert any rust still on the metal.

Here it is all primed and painted. From using the wiring wheel to clean the metal to painting, all I did was clean away any crap still left around with different solvents. I didn't need to work the metal any more as far as sanding goes or anything. See, the wire wheel doesn't harm the metal.

And back on the front of the car. I have GW 1/2" drop body bushings on the car. To align the subframe, there are two alignment holes in the body right by the forward body mounts. You'll need a 5/8" dowel to slide into the holes in the subframe and the body to get the alignment right. It turns out that my 1/2" ratchet extensions are close enough to 5/8" that I used them to get the subframe aligned correctly.

Well, I don't have the close up picture of the paint any more. Apparently, some of my files got corrupted and I've lost a number of them. I had some fun ones of my setting the water in the gas tank on fire. Those were cool.

Here's the fuel pump and sending unit out of my 96 Formula. My 4th gen tank was metal so I was also able to cut the top off so I could have the mounting ring and seal to adapt to the 2nd gen tank. The sending unit is spring loaded to force the pump down onto the bottom of the tank. It also has a decent range of motion so you should be able to use it in many different tanks. The gauge sender even has full range of motion inside the 79 tank so I will have accurate gauge readings. It does not have it's own sump or internal pressure regulator like a late LS1 4th gen would have. Again, I'm on a budget and this will work just fine. I'm crossing my fingers that this fuel pump with 177k miles on it will still live for a while yet in my 79's tank.

Here's the 79s tank with the outline of where I plan to cut the tank and install the 96's pump.

I ended up cutting further than I thought becuse of a large cylinder object on the inside of the tank around the return tube inlet. Notice the raised ring? That's got to come out as a unit.

The idea of how the 96 pump will sit in the tank. It should be obvious at this point that it will indeed work just fine. I'll have to change the metal lines coming out of the unit but that's no big deal.

Poster board mock up of the replacement panel.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:45:09 AM   #13
LT1 WS6
Veteran Member

New panel and mounting ring from 96 welded in place. I had some more in between photos of what I did but they too were corrupted. It's pretty self explanatory though. Just make a panel that hold the mounting ring and use fuel pump in the correct location. The later larger 2nd gen tanks need to make sure they are far enough into the large section to not have the gauge sender float get caught on the lower section. It won't read accurately then. You early 2nd gen guys with the shallow tank should still be able to use this pump and sender if you desired. You'll have to shorten the arm on the fuel lever float though.

Also, my welding sucks at this point in time. I'm getting better though. Feel free to laugh at it as well. If you can tell what I may need to work on in terms of my skills, speak up. I'm never above learning a new way or listening to advise.

All painted and protected since it was 22ga steel and I removed the zinc off the tank to do my welding. Notice I taped up where the seal will seat to make sure nothing interferes with that seal working correctly. The tank and new panel shouldn't leak..... too much.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:31:46 AM   #14
moms1978
Veteran Member

Do you have any pictures of the engine that is going in?

Could you have used a electric fuel pump mounted outside of tank?
This thread is great, thanks for your knowledge.

Last edited by moms1978 : 06-16-2009 at 11:37:07 PM.
moms1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:58:40 AM   #15
2ndgenguy
Lifetime Gold Member

Looking good. I will be keeping an eye on this one. I have been thinking about an lt1 swap in one of my cars because they are much more affordable than the ls motors.
2ndgenguy is offline   Reply With Quote