NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics
User Name
Password

Old 11-15-2003, 10:15:00 PM   #1
Strange81Z
Lifetime Gold Member

C5 Brake Upgrade

Has anyone got this completly installed yet? What about pics? Sorry, i read through all of the post, but didn't see anyone post that they got it done. Atleast i didn't see it anyway.

How much did it run? I thought that I saw $600?

THX

"Millions of individuals making their own decisions in the marketplace will always allocate resources better than any centralized government planning process." (September 27, 1983)
Strange81Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 11-17-2003, 12:02:00 AM   #2
Strange81Z
Lifetime Gold Member

I guess not huh.....

"Millions of individuals making their own decisions in the marketplace will always allocate resources better than any centralized government planning process." (September 27, 1983)
Old 11-17-2003, 02:33:00 AM   #3
runnin350
Veteran Member

Check with HarleyT (hthordson@compcams.com) I was looking throught the archives and found his car. Dont know if it is the one you are looking for. Hope it helps
runnin350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:47:00 PM   #4
rscamaro73
Administrator

Location: Striking fear and destroying the enemy from my borders
Harley was looking into this a while back as well. I'm sure he'll have some insight about now...
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in THIS country who no longer understand it.'

http://community.webshots.com/user/rscamaro73
Facebook - rscamaro73

I'm sometimes called Wayne

rscamaro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:10:00 PM   #5
Strange81Z
Lifetime Gold Member

I really really want to do this, but I just want to make sure that it is possible. Then I can start buying the parts.

Old 11-18-2003, 11:33:00 AM   #6
HarleyT
Veteran Member

Hey guys

I finished my set up and did some 30-40 mph stopping and they worked great.At the time the car did not have any front clip on or glass ect,ect so that's why I was unable to do some real hard testing. I have my car completely apart and in storage until I move into my new house. If I can be of any help let me know !
HarleyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 11:51:00 AM   #7
Nick76
Veteran Member

Check out Rippers 74 pro touring TA. He put the C5 brakes on.
Nick76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:01:00 PM   #8
Strange81Z
Lifetime Gold Member

HarleyT,

Where did you get the brakets? Do have have any for-sale? Or do you have a drawing with the specs for the brakets and the spindels? This way we can get them done ourself.

I REALLY want to do this so any help would be greatly appriciated! Detailed instructions PLEASE!

THX

Old 11-18-2003, 02:33:00 PM   #9
HarleyT
Veteran Member

Strange sent you some mail
Old 11-18-2003, 03:08:00 PM   #10
Tyler
Veteran Member

I put C5 brakes on a set of spindals, it really wasnt that big of a deal. Took about 8 hours of work and around $700.

I tested them on one of my buddys car, I think they will work great, but I didnt really get to test them because his MC was the wrong size (way wrong).

Ill do a better test when I get them on my car.

------------------
My 1974 camaro now smog exempt!
400hp 383, 2004r, 4.11 rear, 450lb/inch springs, Del-a-lum, 12:1 steering, Trac-bite springs, big sway bars, need I say more?

13" C5 brakes mounted on spindals ready to be installed, however, I don't have enough money for the big wheels and tires! D'OH!

$5500 '74 Camaro
350, 2004r, posi 4.11

$1300 73 Camaro
Needs built, 13" brakes, del-a-lum, ect

E-mail Wannababean@hotmail.com for more info.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:29:00 PM   #11
HarleyT
Veteran Member

Here's the link to some of the old pics http://www.cardomain.com/id/harleyt73
Old 11-19-2003, 04:38:00 AM   #12
yody
Veteran Member

UPDATED; Email me. I am in the middle of this project and believe i know all the details and what to use and how. I can give you all the info, i will also post some here;
1. need C5 or LS1 calipers(same thing) and baskets
2. Need 13" C5 rotors
3. third gen(iroc/transam) rotors
4. have a machine shop cut off the entire "rotor" surface to create only a "hub" they can do this on a brake lathe, I paid $60, and that seems to be the going rate
5. Important!! Use the stock second generation spindle, the stock second gen outer wheel bearing, and the Third generation(Iroc) Inner wheel Bearing, and the third generation wheel bearing races on both the inner and outer. The reason for this is that the third generation rotor uses a different inner wheel bearing than the second gens, but uses the same outer wheel bearing as the second gens.
6. take the dust shield off of the spindle and enlarge the 2 holes that the dust shield attached with to use a bigger bolt like a 1/2" bolt. Use a drill and then a tap to maket the bigger 2 holes.
7. These two holes will be where you will mount your caliper bracket too. Now You must make a bracket, We measured mine and it looks like it will take a 5/8" thick bracket to fill the space between the spindle and the caliper basket.The bracket will be a bar with two holes on each end to mount it to the spindle with two more holes more towardst the middle of the bracket to mount the caliper to. I believe this takes a 12mm bolt(something like that, the caliper basket has metric threads
8. You also need to to cut off the "ears" off of your spindles, these are the two pieces that your old caliper bolted to, you need to cut them off so a bracket can lay flat across the spindle from the one dust shield/mounting hole to the other. You can do this easily with an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel or use a sawzall.
Then you bolt it all together, YOu will have just a hub that goes on the spindle that came from your machined third gen spindle. then the "hat" C5 rotor mounts over that hub, you might need longer wheel studs to make up for the thickness of the C5 rotor. You need the third gen rotor/hub because it is thinner in width which makes up for the thickness of the C5 "hat" rotor. If you use the stock thicker seond gen rotor/hub then it will space your wheels out however thick the C5 rotor is, which is about 3/8". Email me for anymore details
codybouc@yahoo.com
I got my calipers loaded brand new powdercoated with crossdrilled and slotted rotors for $600 from DiscBrakesRUS.com Great guys, check out my brakes on my webpage in my sig. Also I believe you use the stock C5 front brake lines, i think they should attach to your hard lines just fine but havent' gotten there yet!

------------------
http://geocities.com/codybouc/firebirdpage.html

[This message has been edited by yody (edited November 19, 2003).]
71 formula firebird, pro-touring, 468; AFR rectangle port, 11-1 compression, Isky Solid roller 290/294,...620HP, D+D T56 six speed, 19" CCW rims, Hydroboost, C5 corvette brakes.. currently being built(almost done)
http://formula454.com
yody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:26:00 AM   #13
Ls1smlblck
Veteran Member

HarleyT, can you send me the info too? Thanks

Deighbo@netzero.com

------------------
81 Z28 350
700r4, 3.42
T-tops
My 81 Z28

Another pic

Wheels
My 81 Z28

Engine

Wheels

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”
….Ronald Reagan
Ls1smlblck is offline   Reply With Quote