NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General Topics > Troubleshooting & Diagnosis
User Name
Password

Old 09-03-2004, 09:20:00 PM   #1
mike d
Veteran Member

Fuel sending unit - How does it function?

I put a new fuel pump in with all new fuel line back to the sending unit. I'm pretty sure that the fuel pump and rod was put in correctly. I have taken the tank off twice to see what might be happening with the sending unit because I am still not getting fuel to the carb. I am starting to get frustrated.

When I took off the last rubber hose fitting that attaches to the sending unit "tube" that is exposed outside of the tank, I noticed that fuel actually came out from the sending unit tube. Therefore, my thought that the tube was clogged doesn't fly.

However, I still have no idea how the fuel sending unit actually works...because if it's purpose is simply to indicate how much fuel is the tank and nothing else I still have a problem.

Any ideas??
mike d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:48:00 PM   #2
Batman
Mr. Swap Meet & Administrator

The fuel sending unit for the gauge is a float attached to a potentiometer (variable resistor). Depending on where the float is will determine the resistance, and thus the indication on the gauge. No fuel actually flows through the sender to the carburator.

Depending on the model year of tank, there may be 2 to 3 tubes coming off the tank; one for the actual fuel, a vent tube, and sometimes a return tube from the fuel pump. Make sure you're hooked into the right tube. Hope this helps.

Love of Theory is the Root of all Evil.

I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:21:00 PM   #3
mike d
Veteran Member

Batman - Thanks for the information. It is a 70 and the only tube I can see at all is the one that is hooked diretcly to the fuel line, period...there is nothing else there. So, if fuel was splashing out of the tube does that sound to you like it should be getting fuel at least up to the pump if everything else is unobstructed inside the fuel lines?

I was kind of thinking that if there were no "active mechanics" in the sending unit that forced fuel to the pump...and most of the unit is there to simply allow the fuel gauge to work...then I MAY have an issue with the fuel pump...Any thoughts?
Old 09-04-2004, 11:27:00 AM   #4
Batman
Mr. Swap Meet & Administrator

Sounds like a bad fuel pump. Do you have the mechanical pump on the front passenger's side of the engine, or an aftermarket electric pump mounted somewhere else?

Love of Theory is the Root of all Evil.

I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 09-05-2004, 06:56:00 PM   #5
mike d
Veteran Member

Yup..I do have the mechanical fuel pump on the pasenger side of the engine. Thought I was a genius when I got everything on the engine when it was on the stand and thought I'd "never" have to take anything off...now it looks like I might need to swap out my fuel pump.

To tell you the truth, I really sweated making sure that I got the rod properly seated before I put the pump on...more challenging when the engine is in the car..