NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > High Performance Modifications
User Name
Password

Old 08-21-2008, 08:25:20 PM   #1
speedywrench

366 big block?

I was wondering if building a 366 for a 81 z28 is a idea or if there are some tips to make it a screamer?

I'll have pics up soon. I am a new member so here's a quick history.

Bought the Z with no motor, tranny, etc! It was a mess but the body was good. I built a 350 bored .30 bigger cam, vorteck heads, eldebrock performer intake, eldebrock 650, headers, 5 speed tremec. cragar ss, t-tops,
Well I got married and needed a motor for a truck and ....... I can't I parked the car. It's been parked with no motor for over 3 years. Now I have a 350 bare 4 bolt block or this 366.

Just want some input. What kind of ponies are we talking if I build the 366? How big of a deal is it to drop in?

Thanks guys
speedywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:38:03 PM   #2
Grumpy 427
Veteran Member

There are many SBC stroker kits out there, the 406 or 415 seem to be making some big power. Depends what you want to do with the car. I have never heard of a 366 BBC? not sure why you would want to build one?

468 CI BBC on spray

1006 HP on the dyno.

9.65 @ 137 mph 1.39 60' Still more left in the car.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...hloic/4563.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...hloic/4508.jpg
Grumpy 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:55:48 PM   #3
speedywrench

The 366 is out of an old straight truck. The understanding I have is it's the same block as a 454. The stroke is the same the bore is just smaller?!?! That's what I was reading online the other night but I don't know much about them either.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08:05 PM   #4
GetMore
Lifetime Gold Member

It is not worth it to build a 366 big block. You get the extra weight, and no more displacement.
If it has the same stroke as a 454 (4.25", IIRC) then it must have a small bore. A small bore means less room for the heads to breathe, and that is not a good thing.
FWIW, one of the magazines did a test of a 408 small block against a 408 big block. I don't remember the specs, but the SBC was bored 4.165", and the BBC was somewhere around 4.25", and had a shorter stroke to lower the displacement. The BBC made more power due to the larger bore allowing the heads to breathe better.

Now, if you have it backwards, and it has the same bore as a 454, and there is nothing keeping you from stroking it to 454 or so, then I'd say you may want to go with the big block. I wouldn't do it to my car, but I like handling more than grunt.

TANSTAAFL (especially on turbos)

Nothing like doing a drive by in a Huggies edition donk
GetMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:10:08 PM   #5
74RAT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedywrench
The 366 is out of an old straight truck. The understanding I have is it's the same block as a 454. The stroke is the same the bore is just smaller?!?! That's what I was reading online the other night but I don't know much about them either.

it's a 396/402/427 stroke of 3 3/4" and a very small bore. smaller bore than the 396 @ 4.094,,,,, not really a good starting platform from the 366 block standpoint,, but all the parts you'd put on the outside "could" be transfered over one day.

just hard to get any compression from it (366) with no performance pistons offered for it. pretty much all the bbc heads require some kind of decent sized dome with any cu. in. size to get compression up to and or over 10.0:1. even the 454 with 100 cc heads will barely get you there with a flat top. just under it anyway.

you could build up a 427 with that crank if you could find a 427/454 block. can't bore that one to make a 4.250 bore. to thin,, or through to water if you try. you'd have to balance the assy though. it's balanced for the 366 piston weight.

i think that is also a tall deck truck block if i remember correctly. was used with 4 ring pistons that have a taller compression height/pin height to piston deck.
3 compression ring grooves and one oil ring groove. calls for the specific tall deck intake,, or using intake manifold spacers. headers can be fun also. they can hit the floor under your feet from the heads sitting up a little taller and raising the header collector flanges. the headers for the tall deck blocks or heads with raised exhaust ports can get pricey. just my opinions. hope it helps.
andy
Old 08-21-2008, 09:10:24 PM   #6
GetMore
Lifetime Gold Member

BTW, from how I understand it, the 366 was a decent truck motor. It didn't make a lot of power, but you could stand on the throttle all day and not break it.

TANSTAAFL (especially on turbos)

Nothing like doing a drive by in a Huggies edition donk
GetMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:18:38 PM   #7
pdq67
BANNED

It's a TALL DECK BB that has like a 3.935" b x 3.76" s so really can't be made into a larger BB like the bigger bore engines can.

That and the tall deck block can cause header and aftermarket intake manifold fitment issues so really do your homework if you still want to use one.

pdq67
pdq67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:18:38 PM   #8
mrdragster1970
Lifetime Gold Member

Can't remember the exact specs, but it's a junk block. Can't be bored enough to use decent heads without choking them down. If they were worth anything we would have been using them already all these years. Good luck, listen to the guys, not a good platform to start with.

PARTS FOR SALE

'94 Pro-Modified Lumina. Photo's of fast car Photos & License 6.54 @ 213 mph 1.00 60'
'70 1/2 RS, 8.57 @ 159 1.27 60'
'72 plain jane, getting chrome moly chassis

For my babies, never forgotten
mrdragster1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:13:23 PM   #9
MyBoTy
Veteran Member

Ge the steel 3.766" stroke crank and snag the 4-bolt main caps and bolts, that's about $200 worth right there to put toward the right engine. Surely you can find a good 2-bolt main 454 block, maybe a cast stock crank and some truck rods. Get lucky and score a pair of open chamber ovals, do a little work on those, pick a cam and have a strong street runner on a budget.
MyBoTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:21:20 AM   #10
rustbucket79
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoTy
Ge the steel 3.766" stroke crank and snag the 4-bolt main caps and bolts, that's about $200 worth right there to put toward the right engine. Surely you can find a good 2-bolt main 454 block, maybe a cast stock crank and some truck rods. Get lucky and score a pair of open chamber ovals, do a little work on those, pick a cam and have a strong street runner on a budget.

That's what I was going to say LOL!

The (2 pc seal cranks) were hard as nails and forged, rods are good HD stock length, main caps of course but aren't a drop on for a 2 bolt block unless they are close enough to only need a line hone, plus drilling and tapping for the outer bolts. The heads actually work well on a flat top 454, giving in the 8.5:1 compression range with their 101 cc chambers. I had a set on my old truck, and took the time to put the pass car 2.06 intake valves rather than the 1.8xx stockers, with a little bowl work they worked quite well. The block is a boat anchor, but probably worth a few bucks at your local recycler.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:13:18 AM   #11
speedywrench

Thanks for the help. I have never messed with anything bigblock before so I am pretty much clueless. I have lots of 350 parts laying around though so maybe I'll save a bunch of headaches and stick with that.
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 08-22-2008, 11:05:54 AM   #12
Cardinal
Lifetime Gold Member

Everyone else has posted the right information about the 366 BBC you're looking at.

It a tall deck block as is the 427 truck block. The fact that it is a tall deck block presents many problems: pistons are hard to find for it, intakes are expensive for it, etc. The 366 is a good truck engine with some very strong parts in it but it lacks any inexpensive performance potential.

Here's how I'd spend your money: find a 350 SBC. Have it checked out by a compitent machine shop (one that doesn't say "it needs to be bored" just so they can have an income) to determine if the block is any good (IF it needs the cylinders bored, align bored, cracks, etc.). Once you determine that you now have a useable block, buy a stroker kit to build a 383 (4.030" bore with a 3.75" stroke) kit with forged pistons (for nitros) from whoever has them on sale at the time (Speed-O-Motive, PAW, Summit, Jegs all have these kits). Then (even though I'm not a big fan of Vortec heads because all I have is old junk) buy a Vortec cylinder head/intake it from Scoggin Dickey. Then add a Isky or Crower hydraulic roller cam. The end result will be a great street strip motor that'll put a smile on your face everytime you hit the trottle!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:29:50 AM   #13
rscamaro73
Administrator

Location: Striking fear and destroying the enemy from my borders
I'd buy a crate motor first before i built any 366 BBC engine....but that's just me....

Then again, you can prolly find tons of used engines out there.....or something that needs 'freshening' up....
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in THIS country who no longer understand it.'

http://community.webshots.com/user/rscamaro73
Facebook - rscamaro73

I'm sometimes called Wayne

rscamaro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:17:23 PM   #14
theflash
Lifetime Gold Member

The 366 is the 307 of the truck world (unless it's in a truck)
If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the f'ing car.

I am the proud parent of a child whose self-esteem is sufficient that she doesn’t need me advertising her minor scholastic achievements on the bumper of my car
theflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:23:59 PM   #15
Damon
Veteran Member

The crank is about the thing you want out of the motor. I think the rods are also the standard 6.135" big block length and forged. Everyting else is worthless.

Put the crank in a nice used 454 block and you've got a 427. That's about the only worthwhile project I could think of to build from that engine.

78 Malibu. Inherited with only 35K on the odo! Mild 383 with Weiand 142 blower on top. Mid 12s appears to be the best it's gonna do on street rubber. Runs so good I may never drive it again.

"Last remaining QJet tuner on planet Earth!"
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote