NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General Topics > Troubleshooting & Diagnosis
User Name
Password

Old 06-13-2003, 10:12:00 PM   #1
DaveM

1981 z28 - What does the computer chip control??

I've been reading on stuff as I've been planning on some stuff to buy to replace some of the parts.

I was looking at carburetors for a 81 camaro at autozone and notice they where around 239.99 or so and the older camaro ones where 129.99.

Is something here to do with the newer carb controlled by the computer chip.

If so can't I just replace everything used by this chip and get rid of that damn thing .

I would appriciate any help on what the chip actually runs, what the diff. is in the carb. I mean they both are rochester quads so.

Thanks guys,

DaveM
DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:58:00 PM   #2
Petes 81Z
Veteran Member

It's not a chip, but the computer controls the mixture in the carb, the advance for the distributor and the lockup converter in the transmission. Yes you can swap everything out for non computer contolled parts, then ditch the computer. That's exactly what I plan to do with mine.
Petes 81Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 11:08:00 PM   #3
Gary S
Administrator

Unless I'm mistaken, the TH350C in the 81 Camaro wasn't controlled by the Computer yet. I think that didn't happen until the 700R4 came along.

The TH350C does its own lockup controlling from a pressure switch inside the tranny and vacuum from the engine. It is a much simpler design than the later trannys.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 12:20:00 AM   #4
DaveM

So Gary S I could change out the carb for a older one like i plan on. Then also would I have to put a differnt distributer in. Then would that be all the ccc controlled stuff.

Note that I already took all the smog crap out. So would that be all set where I could rid it of the chip or control .

Thanks a bunch guys appriciate your replys.

DaveM
Old 06-14-2003, 12:34:00 AM   #5
Gary S
Administrator

There should be folks on this bulletin board who have done this conversion and can tell you for sure, but I think that all you would need is an older style distributer with the vacuum and mechanical advance instead of your electronic one, and an older quadrajet that doesn't have the electronic controls.

Of course, this would cause real problems if you need to pass any kind of smog checks. That would be the first issue to consider before you start.

The guys who have already done this should be able to steer you in the right direction.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 04:34:00 AM   #6
DaveM

Smog check doesn't matter here in Tn. hehe

Well hopefully the other guys come double check to give the a-ok on what I need .

DaveM
Old 06-14-2003, 09:48:00 PM   #7
DaveM

Anybody else?

Anything they missed that I should know about before I start looking into buying this stuff??.

Also what distributer would you recommend, links please .

Thanks guys,

DaveM
Old 06-15-2003, 10:15:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well I had a '69 327 in my '81 get yourself a HEI distribitor they can be found for next to nothing, buy yourself a pretty new Elderbrock carb and some black electrical tape for the check engine light. And for God sakes can anyone give the boy a torker II manifold. I'm 95% sure the tranny is also controlled by computer. Thats why I have a '79 now, the closest thing to a computer in my car now is if my son drops his gameboy on the back seat.
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 06-15-2003, 10:50:00 PM   #9
DaveM

Can you give me a good link to a cheap HEI distributor. The one i saw was around 100 dollars at autozone and advance auto parts without the cap.

Thanks,

DaveM
Old 06-18-2003, 12:53:00 PM   #10
Ls1smlblck
Veteran Member

Very, very, very simple swap. Unplugging the ECM will be best thing you can do to a /that stock motor.

------------------
81 Z28 350
700r4, 3.42
T-tops
My 81 Z28

Another pic

Wheels
My 81 Z28

Engine

Wheels

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”
….Ronald Reagan
Ls1smlblck is offline   Reply With Quote