NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Regional Discussion, Events & Clubs > Colorado Owners
User Name
Password

Old 03-23-2015, 05:54:15 PM   #1471
asphaltburner
Lifetime Gold Member

Mine must be a bit different.
And this gives me the chance to show off some of my sh**t! Yeeha!
My front spoiler is a full front spoiler:

Click image for larger version

Name:	full front spoiler (Large).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	18349

,...not so easily removed, but it doesn't "hug the ground" terribly.
And, as I said, my exhaust is no more than turbo mufflers, attached directly to the header collectors,...

Name:	Camaro header collector (Large).JPG
Views:	3
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	18350

then 90 degrees to the side:

Name:	Camaro turbo muffler out (Large).JPG
Views:	3
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	18351

(sorry it's not all polished/beautiful,...this car is licensed and on the road as needed).
Both items help it perform as well as it does!
Todd.
asphaltburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:59:42 PM   #1472
sparkyboy

Looks good Todd! I have always liked the front spoiler of the late 70s Camaros. I am going to have an exhaust similar to yours, but with glasspack muffler after the catalytic converter. Hope it's not too loud! Used to run her without a muffler and never got pulled over (for that haha) but need to take e test soon and can no longer get the collectors plates :-(
Took her out for a spin today, she ran great, but stalled at a stop sign - my fault didn't feed her enough. Just need a little valve and carb fine tuning and she'll be ready to rock on!
Those little bars that fit over the turn signal lenses look really cool to me, I recommend them for your car Todd! Really give her a finishing touch/accent on your sweet ride!

Last edited by sparkyboy : 03-25-2015 at 12:06:00 AM.
sparkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 03-26-2015, 12:49:24 PM   #1473
asphaltburner
Lifetime Gold Member

With the long Hooker headers, I couldn't find room to pack more up underneath,...I hope you can organize it better to fit that cat in there,...or maybe you're thinking shorty headers. Coming to a "T" after the headers, with a single cat and muffler inline (similar to the stock exhaust arrangement), would help a lot with the limited space.
After I built the engine to stock compression, I burnt a valve using a pair of Purple Hornies for glasspacks (bolted to the header collectors), but they provide almost NO backpressure and the stock, low compression 350 needs a bit more. After building the engine to 9.5:1 compression using World heads and adding the offset turbo mufflers, the car has performed perfectly since.
Good luck and have FUN!
Todd.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:00:56 PM   #1474
sparkyboy

Hmmm...that's definitely something to consider, I used to run no muffler back in the day, since I didn't have to e test for 5 years with my old collector plates, but just the cat was enough to quiet her down enough so the cops didn't hassle me. Haha I have the base engine (250 CI inline six) and a no name glasspack muffler sitting around. You think it will cause problems with stock 8.5:1) compression? Maybe I will go buy a nice name brand muffler and do the exhaust properly, since they changed the laws regarding collector plates.
I have the stupid integral head, so no headers or power adders for me! I'll get a v8 when she fails catastrophically. But those old inline sixes are anvils! I have tried to run her hard enough to break something so I had an excuse for an engine swap, but nothing so far over 200,000 miles. I refuse to run her without oil or coolant or break her on purpose from neglect. I love my Camaro too much for that!
Cheers fellas!
Old Yesterday, 02:17:12 AM   #1475
asphaltburner
Lifetime Gold Member

Naw, Aaron,...with a six cylinder of stock compression, I'd guess that the cat and the glasspack will give your car enough back pressure to avoid burning a valve.
I built my 350 to about as much Hp/torque as I could externally, but neglected back pressure necessary for the lower compression motor, designed to survive on low octane gas and deliver good mpg. I simply completed what I wanted to do with the engine (at a slightly later date, but burnt the valve,...), which was the smaller combustion chamber/larger valve World heads,...and the turbo mufflers, just because. Especially since I run high ignition advance settings.
If you can look through a muffler, and see through it (like the Purple Hornies), it will not produce very much, if any, back pressure. Too little back pressure can result in too fast a flow across the valve face, overheat the edge, and burn the valve edge, creating a leak. Timing can exacerbate this problem.
Anyway, enough of my instructing,...just hope it helps.
Your six will probably run factory timing, utilizing a two barrel carb, have rock-hard valves, flowing through a factory exhaust manifold, through factory sized pipe, to the factory cat, through more factory sized pipe, the glasspack, and a short pipe (or two) to the rear. All of this will keep that six happy!
Sorry to hear about the collector plates. What changed?
Todd.
Old Yesterday, 02:21:54 AM   #1476
asphaltburner
Lifetime Gold Member

Ya know,...my car used to look EXACTLY like yours (except for the little bars in the turn signals). And long ago, I used to live at ninth and Jasmine.
Just FYI.
Todd.
Old Yesterday, 12:39:11 PM   #1477
sparkyboy

Hahaha! Really? Small world even for Camaros! The new law for collectors plates is 1975 or older model year, you remember used to be 25 years old or older. You could be grandfathered in, but one has to maintain registration and I let mine lapse. Oh well.
Old Today, 12:19:41 AM   #1478
77CamaroSC
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltburner
Mine must be a bit different.
And this gives me the chance to show off some of my sh**t! Yeeha!
My front spoiler is a full front spoiler:

Attachment 18349

,...not so easily removed, but it doesn't "hug the ground" terribly.
And, as I said, my exhaust is no more than turbo mufflers, attached directly to the header collectors,...

Attachment 18350

then 90 degrees to the side:

Attachment 18351

(sorry it's not all polished/beautiful,...this car is licensed and on the road as needed).
Both items help it perform as well as it does!
Todd.

That is definitely the front spoiler I want to go to. They did not do repops of the center piece when I built the car. They seem to be easy to get now from classic industries.

we have a similar exhaust space as well lol. I used to tip the guys that did oil changes on the car before I started doing them on my own, it is very tight down there to get to the oil filter, especially when they have been running.
AFR 195cc alum. heads
Airgap intake
670cfm Street Avneger
Dynomax headers and sidepipes
TH-350
stock tourque converter
3.73's with Eaton posi unit
Need to upgrade:
Torque converter
cam
77CamaroSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:20:37 AM   #1479
77CamaroSC
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyboy
Hahaha! Really? Small world even for Camaros! The new law for collectors plates is 1975 or older model year, you remember used to be 25 years old or older. You could be grandfathered in, but one has to maintain registration and I let mine lapse. Oh well.

I was told this by the DMV last time I registered. I HAVE to keep the registration up to date lol. No more smog stuff on this car, the day it got the collectors plates we ripped all the stuff off and put the side pipes on.
AFR 195cc alum. heads
Airgap intake
670cfm Street Avneger
Dynomax headers and sidepipes
TH-350
stock tourque converter
3.73's with Eaton posi unit
Need to upgrade:
Torque converter
cam
77CamaroSC is online now   Reply With Quote