NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General Topics > Project Progress
User Name
Password

Old 06-14-2014, 11:41:56 AM   #496
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Couple more bits of progress today. The headers arrived, doesn't look too difficult to modify them to work with the external wastegates.

And I collected a 4L80E too, just needs rebuilding and the output shaft and housing swapping for a 2wd version. Having looked at the parts it's easy to see why they will take so much more power than the 700r4. In hindsight I would have been better off just fitting one of those in the first place, but never mind!

I am considering whether to go the whole hog and build the motor using a Dart block, certainly makes it future proof. Will see how the cash flow goes.

Our Bonneville Adventures follow the progress on Facebook
flak monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:19:19 PM   #497
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

I got a serpentine belt system with my new block, been messing around with it today. Its one from a '90 G20 van, steel brackets. Not as pretty as the cast aluminum ones, but there ya go. Got all the accessories with it too, including a nice 120 amp CS alternator. More or less figured out how it all fits together.

Been having issues with my PS pump belt slipping since getting the car back on the road, so want to try and get the serpentine set up fitted to see how it performs. If all is OK then I'll transfer it to my turbo set up.

I've ordered an AC delete idler, which I hope will fit, if not I'll be making a suitable one. Just need to find a new reverse rotation water pump and a few other odds before fitting it all up.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:42:46 PM   #498
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Finally got around to applying some stickers today

Also spent a couple of hours swapping out the injectors to the new 70lb ones I got. Runs OK, still some fine tuning to do but it idles good and isnt running out of duty cycle now!

Also did a bit more work on the serpentine drive, just got to get a PS pump for it. Before that I ought to check it will actually fit under the hood, I reckon alternator clearance will be very tight! Anyone else tried one of these?

Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 07-08-2014, 02:32:43 PM   #499
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Slow progress - time and money (mostly money) is the main constraint.

Spent an hour or so measuring the cylinder wall thicknesses on my block - was a little concerned as its at +.040. Measured all the wall thicknesses with calipers and a digital vernier in at least 3 places. I don't have ultrasonic measuring kit to hand!

They range from .161" to .212" on the thrust walls so I am happy with that. They are a little thinner on the front and rear (pin sides) but not enough to worry about. So I can now start getting the parts together for the short block. I basically need a set of splayed caps, rods and pistons along with a cam kit to have the block finished off. Got everything else I need.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:17:44 PM   #500
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Decided that the T3 exhaust side was too small and that I needed something bigger. Moved on the hybrid turbos and wastegates and ordered some different bits. So lots of goodies arrived today! Fast shipping from SS Autochrome - from California to UK in 4 days. Wasn't expecting the best quality items, as I know turbos at this price can only be made in China but knowing that I'm impressed with the quality of the parts, packaging and service so far.

They came packaged as a pair

These are the anti surge turbos with journal bearings. The compressor and turbine sizes are exactly as advertised - checked with a vernier. They are water cooled centre sections - not sure if I'll connect up a water supply to them or not - any reasons why it's needed? All of the bolts holding the housings to the centre section are stainless too. There's some radial play in the shafts, but no more than I'd expect.

These are *exactly* the same turbos as sold by CX Racing - the part number on the boxes was TRB-GT35-2-P82, and the hot side has WSR Turbo cast into the housing

Next the 50mm BOV - packed in foam, 2 different springs ship with it along with a load of other accessories and a mounting flange with v-band. Also comes with a spare seal for the plunger. I've fitted the lowest pressure spring for the time being. The diaphragm is very thick heavy duty and nomex reinforced.

Final goodies was a pair of 60mm wastegates. These have 4 springs with them for different boost levels from around 8 psi to something beyond silly and everything in between. Also have adjustable preload on the spring at the top. I'll be running electronic boost control through my ECU so I fitted the softest spring and bench tested with my compressor. They start to open at 8psi and fully open at 12 psi. I also have over boost protection on my ECU, so I'll be using that as a final safety device.

Again the diaphragm in these is heavy duty and nomex reinforced...

I need to pick up a couple of scrap heads for mock up then I can get on with some fabrication on the headers.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:31:33 PM   #501
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Picked up a junk cylinder head tonight to use for mock up and ordered some stainless tube to modify the headers. Quite a bit of modification to do, including some braces to support the weight of the turbos and prevent the headers cracking.... all will become clear!

Old 07-23-2014, 02:51:56 PM   #502
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Now I've got a head for mock up its clear that they are going to hit the front of the upper control arm, even with the rough measurements I have taken. So it leaves me with 2 options, cut these apart and completely re-make them, or buy some different ones which will fit. The collector needs to be a good 6" higher than it is.

The plan is to make a mock up support bracket for the turbo and then make the headers to suit. Stainless mandrel bends work out to be about £15/$24 each. In addition to cutting up what I have I think I'd need to make something to work:

4x 90 deg
2x 45 deg
2 x 180 deg

Old 08-02-2014, 12:24:41 PM   #503
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Made a start on header mock up today.

First things first, make sure the turbo will fit under the hood without too much adjustment of existing parts of the car! What I wanted to work out was where the outlet of the collector will need to be from the header. So I cut up my existing headers into their component parts and tack welded the turbo flange to one of the 3" 90 deg bits of tube and bolted a piece of 1/4" plate to the front of the head.

After a few hours messing around I think I have something that will work. Got about 1/2" clearance to the underside of the hood. Only thing I am slightly unsure of is the turbo has ended up being mounted at a slight downward angle to the front of the car. Around 3 degrees.

A little modification will be needed to the inner fender, but nothing that a hammer and dolly can't sort out pretty quickly.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:53:38 PM   #504
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Finally got around to putting some badges back on the car, and fitting some new parking lamps. Picked them up from Classic Industries while on vacation in the USA.

Work on the turbo headers continues, I've ordered the additional bends I require and I'm just waiting for those to arrive. The piece of plate is there only for location purposes. Once I've got the header tubes made I'll be welding the collector to the turbo flange tube directly.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:14:14 PM   #505
1971SS
Veteran Member

badges look good!