User Name
Password

Old 07-14-2014, 07:37:47 PM   #1246
77CamaroSC
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltburner
Good to hear from you, 77CamaroSC!
I have also been out of the loop too long, and I think I was able to just lube my '76 hinges to get them working properly again.
FRANKENTRUCK got a set of new ones from Classic Industries to go with the new steel hood and they have worked perfectly for a number of years now, but I understand your desire to have original parts for your Camaro. Best of luck.
Right now I have the interior of the '79 Fiat Spider torn down to restore all I can. There are no replacement parts for it's red interior, and what is available is priced way outta my league, so it's kinda cool having to refurbish/repair everything. Luckily, most everything is in fairly good shape. Cool little convertible.
The weather has cooled down for just a bit, thank goodness,...I can get some car work done.
My Camaro is comfortable under it's cover in the arena for right now.
Todd.

Its more of me being a tight wad than anything else lol. I don't have much funding to work on the car, so a 10.00 hinge is better than a 69.99 hinge for the time being.

Hopefully I can start freeing some funding, the past four years has been absolutely horrible. I design homes for a living, so the recession hit me very hard and at one point I thought I would have to sell the car (which is my first car.)

Things are much better now though. Two years back at full time, getting more projects and all.
AFR 195cc alum. heads
Airgap intake
670cfm Street Avneger
Dynomax headers and sidepipes
TH-350
stock tourque converter
3.73's with Eaton posi unit
Need to upgrade:
Torque converter
cam
77CamaroSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:38:33 PM   #1247
77CamaroSC
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutchevy
no it closed down.storage yard now.

yea, the guy that is going with me next week drove by this morning.

I think I will have to check out the one a few posts back. And see if I can find some more.
AFR 195cc alum. heads
Airgap intake
670cfm Street Avneger
TH-350
stock tourque converter
Need to upgrade:
Torque converter
cam
Old 07-17-2014, 01:07:20 PM   #1248
asphaltburner
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
"Hopefully I can start freeing some funding, the past four years has been absolutely horrible. I design homes for a living, so the recession hit me very hard and at one point I thought I would have to sell the car (which is my first car.). Things are much better now though. Two years back at full time, getting more projects and all."

I hear ya,...I've been unemployed, and without unemployment assistance, since April.
Good news, though. I've been approached by two different individuals wanting vehicles painted,...one asking about a '72 VW Superbeetle, and the other, a '57 Chevy pickup. I expect to base coat/clear coat them and I meet with the owner of the bug tomorrow morning.
It's still more satisfying to return a properly functioning part back to service than to replace it and throw it out. I call it "refurbishing" parts. A lot of parts need no more than cleanup, some paint or polish, and lubrication. Rebuilding cars is a lot cheaper that way, too!
I'm slowly working on my '79 Spider 2000 right now,...it has a red interior, in fairly good shape (other than the upholstery, which I can get an auto upholstery shop to do for me someday, when I can afford it), and NONE of that can be replaced. Very few of it's cosmetic parts are available, and only a handful of it's mechanical parts can be got, so it is a complete study in refurbishing! Kinda cool!
Glad you're back to full time,...good luck with your Camaro! Keep us informed and post some pics!
Todd.

Last edited by asphaltburner : 07-17-2014 at 01:09:28 PM.
asphaltburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:03:15 AM   #1249
77CamaroSC
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
"Hopefully I can start freeing some funding, the past four years has been absolutely horrible. I design homes for a living, so the recession hit me very hard and at one point I thought I would have to sell the car (which is my first car.). Things are much better now though. Two years back at full time, getting more projects and all."

I hear ya,...I've been unemployed, and without unemployment assistance, since April.
Good news, though. I've been approached by two different individuals wanting vehicles painted,...one asking about a '72 VW Superbeetle, and the other, a '57 Chevy pickup. I expect to base coat/clear coat them and I meet with the owner of the bug tomorrow morning.
It's still more satisfying to return a properly functioning part back to service than to replace it and throw it out. I call it "refurbishing" parts. A lot of parts need no more than cleanup, some paint or polish, and lubrication. Rebuilding cars is a lot cheaper that way, too!
I'm slowly working on my '79 Spider 2000 right now,...it has a red interior, in fairly good shape (other than the upholstery, which I can get an auto upholstery shop to do for me someday, when I can afford it), and NONE of that can be replaced. Very few of it's cosmetic parts are available, and only a handful of it's mechanical parts can be got, so it is a complete study in refurbishing! Kinda cool!
Glad you're back to full time,...good luck with your Camaro! Keep us informed and post some pics!
Todd.

Glad to year some work is coming your way!
So far I have a few friends helping me scour the junk yards sat. for a new drivers side hinge. If one cannot be found Goodmark has there hinges for a pretty good price. I will just clean, paint and use the existing springs since they are in great condition. Then comes the starting problem, that one I think we can figure out quickly. And then there is an electrical problem with the pass. side headlight (much dimmer than the drivers side) That is really it mechanically that is problematic with it. If I can gather some money It would be nice to have painted again. There are a few small rust areas that have popped up in the past ten years, and a few dings and dents. of course I would stick with the color it is now (PPG antique turquoise)

I really wish I could go back in time and get an extra money for the paint job, I got permission from Joe Rosen to use the Baldwin-Motion patin scheme, and he offered to come lay the stripes himself if I paid for the plane ticket. I really wish I did that. But the next paint iteration will have the stripes laid down so they are "ghosted" into the car. I really want to keep the lower front valance, but the thing is a pain in the rear, I have to be careful of any dip in the road. The side pipes are not a problem though, they just lay sparks lol

Here is one of the last pictures I have taken of my steel lady.

AFR 195cc alum. heads
Airgap intake
670cfm Street Avneger
TH-350
stock tourque converter
Need to upgrade:
Torque converter
cam
Old 07-21-2014, 07:39:57 PM   #1250
asphaltburner
Lifetime Gold Member

I LIKE IT!
Quite a different front valance (air dam/spoiler) than the one my car has,...looks cool with the lights. Mine is also a PITA if I don't pay close attention to how far I pull up to those damn concrete stops that they put in parking lots. And I'll bet that those side pipes lay some sparks with dips in the road and on speed bumps,...geeze, I pulled down into a parking lot over a tall bump long ago and had to drag my exhaust a bit to get out, so I can relate.
I would also bet that your black interior gets as hot as my black exterior in the Colorado sun, but it sure looks nice.
I hope to someday have 3.42:1 rear gears, but for now I have to downshift my TH350 to deal with the 2.79:1 differential.
Good luck with the hinge,...sounds like a minor short in the headlight circuitry on the passenger side.
Glad you posted some pics!
Todd.
asphaltburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old Yesterday, 01:14:02 AM   #1251
77CamaroSC
Veteran Member

Quote:
I LIKE IT!
Quite a different front valance (air dam/spoiler) than the one my car has,...looks cool with the lights. Mine is also a PITA if I don't pay close attention to how far I pull up to those damn concrete stops that they put in parking lots. And I'll bet that those side pipes lay some sparks with dips in the road and on speed bumps,...geeze, I pulled down into a parking lot over a tall bump long ago and had to drag my exhaust a bit to get out, so I can relate.
I would also bet that your black interior gets as hot as my black exterior in the Colorado sun, but it sure looks nice.
I hope to someday have 3.42:1 rear gears, but for now I have to downshift my TH350 to deal with the 2.79:1 differential.
Good luck with the hinge,...sounds like a minor short in the headlight circuitry on the passenger side.
Glad you posted some pics!
Todd.

The front valance was a "reproduction" of the ones Joel Rosin used on the 77 Baldwin-Motion Camaros he made (I think it was 3-4 of em, where one went to a Saudi prince lol) The originals were attached to the bumper. The car sits with a very mean look to it. I only scrape in with the largest bumps, or if I do a full pedal and then let up lol. I usually leave about 2' from the point to the concrete, I did hit one once (you can see the damage) And I am careful now. The pipes are really not too bad unless there is a speed bump in a parking lot.

The interior I really don't know how hot it gets lol, the Front seats are from a '98 trans-am with some custom spacers built by my father in law to mount them. The drivers side seat track does need to be replaced though, Maybe I will find that at the junk yard this weekend too. The rear seats have only had one person in them in the past 5 years which is my daughter. She never complained of any heat. I was going to go with the original color, but figured it would be a pain to keep clean (white) So I went with black. Hopefully I can start working on the interior a bit more and get that done, then pull the whole car apart and do a nice deep restoration, the car deserves it. I bought it when I was 16 from the first owner. My dad thought I bought a piece for 1800.00 I skipped school with my older brother to go buy it. The engine has about 30,000 on it at most, it needs a few more upgrades to really make her purr. The cam is way to mild, but the rest is ready for more punch. The tranny was built just before I bought it, and was gone over with a fine tooth comb by a family friend. The rear end is a set of 3.73 gears with an Eaton posi with probably 600 miles on it. It launches HARD! and will light the tires up with the slightest touch.
AFR 195cc alum. heads
Airgap intake
670cfm Street Avneger
TH-350
stock tourque converter
Need to upgrade:
Torque converter
cam