NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General Topics > Project Progress
User Name
Password

Old 03-29-2014, 03:40:48 PM   #481
flak monkey
Veteran Member

Nothing new planned really. Got lots of improvements to do on the Camaro though, but they will have to wait a while. Got lots of big spends coming up soon....

Our Bonneville Adventures follow the progress on Facebook
flak monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:45:28 PM   #482
flak monkey
Veteran Member

Been working on the transmission and axle swap.

The axle swap went really well, only took about 4 hours in all. Left the brakes connected up and tied them up out of the way, saved bleeding them again.

Straightened the shock mount plates and welded on a reinforcement rib to stop it bending again. Bolted the axle up to the springs with no insulator pads and with new 1/2" U bolts.

The old 10 bolt out

12 bolt in

Spent all afternoon removing the old transmission, was hoping to work around the exhaust but had to take it off in the end, so that ate up a couple of extra hours. I've got a load of prep work to do before fitting the 700r4 next weekend. Got a huge stacked plate cooler to fit, and the wiring for the lockup converter.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:52:42 PM   #483
JCSilver80
Veteran Member

Hey Flak, just went through your entire project. To say that you have done a lot of work would be an understatement. Your car looks really bitchin. Checked out your B'ville link, nice bikes!! Are all of the ones that were there in 2012 returning this year? I have spent a lot of years out on the salt helping my dad and his friend run a 32 roadster and also hanging out/crewing on another lakester that he was driving for a good friend. Love the salt!!

Project Thread:http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230634
JCSilver80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:01:20 PM   #484
flak monkey
Veteran Member

Thanks man! Most of the same people are going, plus some extras. We have at least 10 teams going this year, possibly 12! We are all intending to pit together, come and say hello if you are there this year?

Old 04-12-2014, 02:04:58 PM   #485
flak monkey
Veteran Member

Finished installing the new transmission today, took a while as I had to do loads of other small jobs at the same time including fitting a new transmission cooler and resolving a shifter issue due to a bent cable end.

I moved the stock crossmember back 70mm, using the original rear holes in the sub frame as the new front holes and drilling new rear holes. To position those I stuck a long bolt through the original rear hole so I could measure the centres properly. Worked out well.

I was lucky, in that my car originally had a TH350C with a lock up converter, so I already had the brake switch and +12v wire ready to hook up to the trans, just had to solder on the correct connector.

The UJ is going to be very close to the reinforcement in the floor pan, it should have around 1/4" clearance, I could gain some more by elongating the holes in the rubber mount if needed. Reason is that the engine and trans sit offset by about 3/4" in the second gen, so it's always going to be rather close!

Still waiting for my driveshaft so I can actually test it properly (due weds), but I've filled it with fluid and run pressure tests in park, getting 110psi with the TV hooked up, and it spikes up to 200psi as soon as the cable is pulled. So far so good - and yes it sounds great on open headers

Last edited by flak monkey : 04-12-2014 at 02:07:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:52:02 PM   #486
flak monkey
Veteran Member

Got my crossover pipe refitted today after some modifications to clear the crossmember. I've also made a few other small alterations to the exhaust to try and stop some annoying rattles and bangs.

Thinking of making myself a set of traction bars, I'm undecided whether to make some 'Caltrac' style ones or just good ol' traditional ones.

Ordered some tubular upper control arms today as well, should be here in a week, after those are fitted I can finally get my front alignment sorted properly.

Going to be interesting to see what difference the changes have made!

Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 04-19-2014, 02:37:33 PM   #487
flak monkey
Veteran Member

Done a few miles with the new axle and transmission. Got a couple of minor issues to sort out, waiting for some more parts to arrive to modify my driveshaft. Seems 45.5" is about 1" too short with the 12 bolt, fitting a longer slip yoke which should put the right amount of spline inside the transmission for better engagement on the rear bushing. It's currently a bit on the short side, especially with the short TH350 slip yoke.

Also found I had an issue with my Megasquirt ECU losing sync at 5300rpm, an issue with the VR conditioner circuit. I'd had problems early on with the install with RPM signal stability. Made some modifications today and fitted a different VR circuit which seems to have solved the problem.

Decided it was about time I gave the car a good clean up too, the wheels were looking in a bit of a sorry state. Polished alloy doesn't hold up too well in the wet UK winters. They looked a lot better after a few hours with a polishing mop.

Before

After