NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General Topics > Project Progress
User Name
Password

Old Yesterday, 02:28:11 PM   #541
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Started rewiring the car this weekend - between rain showers.

Pulled out the old harness and removed the necessary connectors.

I bought an EZ Wiring harness last year, but kept putting off actually making a start on putting it in. I made a stainless adapter plate for the firewall to block up the hole left by the stock connector and passed the engine section of the harness through a grommet in the centre of it. I'll seal it with polyurethane sealant once I am happy that I haven't missed any cables that I might need.

The reason for changing the harness was that I was never really happy using a 37 year old harness in the car, and I'd had to add so much to it in order to run the EFI and transmission controllers that it was completely hacked up anyway.

So a new loom with a lot of extra circuits that I'll never use (like power locks, windows, cruise and A/C) was perfect as that gives me lots of extra fuse power supplies direct from the harness that I can repurpose for the other things I need.

The only downside of modern running gear? Just the wiring for that makes up quite a list!

Had to strip the ignition switch out of the car as I had a dodgy connection inside in the 'run' position. Thankfully being old technology it was full of copper bars and little springs which were all gummed up with old dielectric grease. Cleaned it all out and now it works perfectly again...

I also had to make a few changes to the power feeds to the fuse box, as the only power out which was live in the cranking position was the coil feed - no use at all with injection.... Fixed that, now everything except the lights stays live. Not a problem with new battery technology...

The dash section is more or less finished now, just a few bits to tidy up, and the immobiliser circuits to reconnect and it will be done, then I can move on to the engine bay where I also need to move the fuel feed line to a more sensible location.

My torque converter also arrived back, very quick turnaround, 7 days door to door, mind you the courier struggled up the yard with it at 830am this morning

Cleaned, new seals throughout, new lock up clutch lining and stall speed increased to approx 3000rpm. Not bad service at all.

Our Bonneville Adventures follow the progress on Facebook
flak monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old Yesterday, 10:57:27 PM   #542
73bandit

how so you like using the ez wiring kit? i need to rewire my whole car and i am at a bit of a toss up with the wiring between the ez and the aaw kit. thanks.
Old Today, 09:01:05 AM   #543
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

It's pretty good, and it's comprehensive. I bought a generic kit, so I had to make an adapter plate for the bulkhead with a grommet to pass the engine harness through. No major problem though.

All the cables are labelled up (printed on the cable) and its got the correct connector for the GM column and start switch too.

It's got all the wires in you need for the basic body circuits, but you will have to add cables for control circuits for heater and wipers for example. You'll also need to make your own ground harness up as required. Other than that, for the $150 or so it cost, I'm very pleased with it.

Old Today, 05:43:18 PM   #544
Edem_Alive

Read through about 80% of your thread. Good lord mate, you practically replaced everything ! It's a very cool thread but you use a lot of silly UK words :P
Edem_Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:52:07 PM   #545
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Lol... it's English... it's you guys on that side of the Atlantic that use the silly words!

Last edited by flak monkey : Today at 06:10:10 PM.
Old Today, 06:07:26 PM   #546
Edem_Alive

I think you said chuffed somewhere and I laughed
Edem_Alive is offline   Reply With Quote