Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > High Tech Retrofits
User Name
Password

Old 06-13-2013, 09:28:43 PM   #76
PolarBear
I love hood, I love lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas
I am thinking about ditching the carb for the Holley Avenger FI system.

Good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas

550-401 900cfm with 75lb injectors 375hp to 525hp
I would go with this one

I love hood

The artist formerly known as notchbackgta
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:58:00 AM   #77
roy powell

retro tek EFI

Old posts I know but I wanted to mention the Proff. products EFI unit
We installed the Rtro-Tek EFI on a small block ford, I must say, the kit is very complete from braided line to every little bolt with very well written instructions.
Briefly, we installed it on a Saturday & the little ford was up & running on Sunday morning, a few hiccups on start up, (our fault) & we took her for an hour run, you can actually feel the unit going through the "self learning" mode while you drive.
After about 2 weeks of driving with no drama, Geff tells me he felt his fuel mileage had doubled but he was wrong, its more than doubled!
He figures he's gone from a carb;d 9-11mpg to an average on a round trip to Peterboro (bout 250 miles) of 20-23mpg. mind you, the old Holley wasn;t well & to big for a 5.0 Ford too.(750)
HP is up especially through the mid range where he says - I can really feel the difference in mid range power & response, its huge!
So, I just wanted add a hurrah to Proffesional Products for a great product & serious Tech. line support, even looking at Geoff;s readouts online & fixing a cold start issueon the phone!
For any totally ignornant EFI guys like Geoff & myself, now, as I get into this new field I;m hoping to be able to utilize all the features this new product offers, I'm not even sure what I can & can't do as of now
Impressed enough though, to ordered the latest versionof the Prof. products EFI unit with the install kit (braided line for main & return spark control) & will be installing asap
cheers & a great site you have here
Roy
roy powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:17:31 AM   #78
72 pile
Veteran Member

I have been running the Holley avenger system for about 2 years now. With my 383 stroker (550hp), tremec 5 speed and 3.73 gears; I get about 18mpg on the freeway at 70 mph. Even with the a/c blasting! The only downfall is I have to replace the oxygen sensor every 6 months. I narrowed it down to my cam being too big. I run the compcams 305H 525/525 lift with 1.5's.
Other then that I'm very pleased. I have this system on a few of my cars.
72 pile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:50:15 PM   #79
newschool72
Veteran Member

Just a report on the Fast Ez on the LS3 in my 72 Camaro. I like it more every day and love the way I can tune the MSD controller independent of the Fast EZ. I started using a laptop for the ignition control and it is seamless. I can move the advance curve around anywhere I want it in a matter of minutes and the Fast EZ holds the same A/F ratio independent of the MSD.
Im going to post up a small thread on the 72 when I get done with the final tuning to kind of show off the finished build. I am in the process of dropping a new trans in over this weekend and am planning a trip to the strip for some fun and final tuning of the advance curve .
For this particular thread though, the Fast is working flawlessly and using the MSD 6012 to control the LS coil packs is about as easy as it gets. Its idiot proof and that comes straight from the idiot!

68 camaro, 406, th350, 4.10s. Old schoolin hotrod. 11.30 at 120 on dragrads, pumpgas, footbraken.

I prefer the simplistic life of telling the truth. Besides Im not smart enough to remember what I said, if I tell a lie. That being said, if the truth is going to hurt your feelings, please don't ask the question.
newschool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:15:39 PM   #80
Zee
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee
OK, I don't have any of these systems but I am interested and have an open mind. Reading the Holley Avenger EFI installation instructions, it appears that you can utilize timing control only if you are using a GM small HEI cap distributor. (See Pg18: http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...9R10552rev.pdf ) For those of us without a Chevrolet, if I am reading correctly, ignition control isn't going to happen using a Holley Avenger EFI and for those with a Chevy, a potential extra cost that should be factored in.

Another item is that both the Holley and MSD inject fuel above the throttle plates and I would think would still have some of the same distribution and atomization issues that carbs have. For those of us with limited hood clearance but cannot use spacers to optimize our manifold combination we may see performance improvement with Fast's system as it is injecting under the throttle plates.

For me I have no intention of running N20 so it would be between FAST and Holley with FAST getting the nod. FAST is dedicated to FI and nothing else. FAST introduced EZ EFI a few years ago and it changed the market forcing Holley and MSD to play catch up. I prefer it's controller, display and in theory, the TB should improve performance for my application. Holley is trying to sell an updated version of the same set up they have been relatively unsuccessful with for the last ten+ years and change every 2-3 years. Projection, then Commander now Avenger...what's next? Not adverse to the Holley and maybe with the air cleaner, it is lower which would allow me to run a spacer while retaining hood clearance. I am all ears to hear more about the Holley system.

Appears Holley has finally delivered with their Terminator EFI. Anyone running it?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08:19 PM   #81
woody80z28
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 pile
I have been running the Holley avenger system for about 2 years now. With my 383 stroker (550hp), tremec 5 speed and 3.73 gears; I get about 18mpg on the freeway at 70 mph. Even with the a/c blasting! The only downfall is I have to replace the oxygen sensor every 6 months. I narrowed it down to my cam being too big. I run the compcams 305H 525/525 lift with 1.5's.
Other then that I'm very pleased. I have this system on a few of my cars.

WOW that is a lot of cam for EFI. What is your MAP reading at idle and under normal cruise?
11:1 forged 383 w/ AFR 195s, .575/.584 roller, 1000cfm Accel EFI, T56 6spd w/ SPEC 3+ clutch, Moser 8.5" w/ 4.10s, 12"f/11.6"r disc brakes w/ line lock, Hotchkis springs & sways w/ PTFB stopflex, 18s w/ 255/295 Nittos, Slide-A-Links w/ 275 Mickeys, elec fan & water pump w/ battery in trunk, 4th-gen interior w/ Equus gauges & custom bezel
My Chevy garage GEARHEAD dezign
woody80z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:01:28 AM   #82
Rick WI
Veteran Member

Doubt the cam is the reason. I run a 260/265 @ .050 and .700 lift roller on the street with a FAST system and never replaced an 02 in over 10 years. Does it carbon foul?
Rick WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:39:09 PM   #83
newschool72
Veteran Member

Sounds like the Fast system might work better than the Holley system with an aggressive cam.

68 camaro, 406, th350, 4.10s. Old schoolin hotrod. 11.30 at 120 on dragrads, pumpgas, footbraken.

I prefer the simplistic life of telling the truth. Besides Im not smart enough to remember what I said, if I tell a lie. That being said, if the truth is going to hurt your feelings, please don't ask the question.
newschool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 09-04-2013, 07:49:47 PM   #84
72 pile
Veteran Member

Ya it carbon fowels out. I don't remember what the map reads, I'll have to check tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:03:00 AM   #85
72 pile
Veteran Member

Ok finally got a reading on the map sensor.
Idle-80
Freeway cruse-55-60