NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General Topics > Project Progress
User Name
Password

Old 12-08-2013, 12:45:23 PM   #466
flak monkey
Veteran Member

Thanks guys!

Fed up with having to stand on the brakes to haul it to a stop, mostly due to only pulling 11-12in vac during idle and cruise. So last week I ordered a new hydroboost from the USA and it arrived at the end of the week. So I've spent today making it fit.

The recon/new hydroboosts don't come with the output or input pushrods so I had to make those to suit. They also dont have the special star washer to lock the spring in for the output rod. I managed to find a large washer which served the same purpose though. I picked the cheapest hydroboost with the external accumulator I could find, happened to be from a 1980 C30 truck. They are all more or less the same, though there is some variation in the piston sizes and accumulator pressures. This one is the same as an astro van though under a different part number....

It also came with no mount plate, so I cut one from some 1/4" steel. I needed to add some 5/16" spacers so that the nut on the hydroboost cleared the hole in the firewall. I then put some strip caulk around it before bolting to the firewall. The booster used an input pushrod retained by an O-ring, I managed to find one the right size in the end. I also had to remove the brake switch actuating plate as it was bolted to the upper hole in the pedal where I needed to connect the pushrod. But there was enough adjustment on the switch to just actuate it with the pedal itself.

The most expensive bit of the conversion was the hoses and adaptors. But it's good stuff, rated to 7000psi burst pressure! Like big braided brake hose, PTFE inner with braided outer.

Last job was to top it off with fluid and bleed it through. Took nearly 3 quarts to fill it all back up again. I still have a few things left to finish off, like a new bracket for the prop valve, change the return hoses to braided to match the pressure hoses, and refit the subframe brace (which does still fit!). I also should add a filter in the system somewhere as I'm reliably informed the hydroboost will benefit from one.

Loads more access around the firewall now too, which should make future maintenance easier. The short drive up and down the yard seems to indicate the brakes are much improved!

Before:

After:

Our Bonneville Adventures follow the progress on Facebook
flak monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:12:20 AM   #467
Cowman
Lifetime Gold Member

Nice to see you are still making improvements, makes me wonder what my brakes will be like! Have you put many miles on it since you got it MOT'd? Are you going to be at any shows over Xmas? Any new videos?

'Relax, all right. My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.'
Cowman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:49:13 AM   #468
flak monkey
Veteran Member

I've done maybe 400 miles. My brakes worked, and it passed the MOT OK. Just had to apply a lot of pedal pressure, worse than manual brakes. Hydraboost is a massive improvement.

Going to one local run over xmas, not done any driving videos yet, but will do at some point.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:39:22 AM   #469
flak monkey
Veteran Member

Another few odd little jobs done today. Fitted some hood springs, used some from an old Volvo 240 I was breaking, they work a treat and were a nice cheap solution.

Also refitted the subframe brace after a slight modification for extra clearance for the master cylinder. Finished by tidying up the hoses and wiring, the 2 relays are for the headlights.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:28:57 AM   #470
flak monkey
Veteran Member

Almost finished setting up the Megasquirt now and had a really good long run out today. Not taking it easy, sticking in second gear quite a bit to try and get some of the acceleration and part throttle settings sorted so up and down speed all the time. The car really does pull well now, had a couple of slightly sideways moments...

192 miles covered, and 30.8litres (8.1 gal) of fuel doesn't sound half bad at 24mpg average.... 8-)

Last edited by flak monkey : 01-05-2014 at 11:52:16 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:50:29 PM   #471
flak monkey
Veteran Member

There's no reason for this, other than I spent half the day cleaning both bikes so I thought I'd take some photos

But they do all have one thing in common....

Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 02-17-2014, 01:39:36 PM   #472
Cowman
Lifetime Gold Member

Show off...

lol - looking great buddy, you going to the Essex meet in a few weeks, maybe drive down in, I dunno, the CAMARO?!

'Relax, all right. My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.'
Old 02-17-2014, 02:42:17 PM   #473
flak monkey
Veteran Member

You mean the swap meet? I might do, dunno

Old 02-17-2014, 03:46:39 PM   #474
Cowman
Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah that's the one, if I've finished repairing my roof and fence after Fridays weather I'll be there, always worth a rummage around. I've still got your number so I'll give you a shout nearer the time.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:52:07 AM   #475
J. Chris Davis
Veteran Member

I just came across your build. Very nice job. I like the hood scoop. That is pretty cool.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:37:45 PM   #476
flak monkey
Veteran Member

Thanks

Starting to think about the 700r4 swap. I picked the transmission up about a year ago for virtually nothing and it was always planned to rebuild it completely.

So I've just splashed out on a PATC Raptor rebuild kit. Guess it will be a while before it arrives. Planning to start the tear down of the transmission tomorrow and see what I've let myself in for!

Old 03-17-2014, 04:45:34 PM   #477
flak monkey
Veteran Member

My 12 bolt had landed....

4.10 gears, Moroso Brute strength posi, superior shafts. And a bargain to boot. Just need to move the perches back into the right place for the 2nd gen

Old 03-18-2014, 02:48:19 PM   #478
flak monkey
Veteran Member

Moved the spring perches on the axle today, hopefully it'll fit now. They were set up for a 1st gen, the springs are closer together on those.

Cut the old ones off, made the tubes good and welded them back on in the right place. My little digital inclinometer came in very handy getting them at the right angle in relation to the pinion :lol:

Hopefully it ain't warped the tubes. I just need to find out what the correct mounting pads are, as this axle has universal perches fitted. Might have to eliminate the isolator pads. Not sure yet.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:59:44 PM   #479
flak monkey
Veteran Member

Been gearing up to do the transmission and axle swap next weekend. Finished rebuilding the 700r4, hopefully it'll work properly after all that :lol: I think I will need a longer dipstick though, rather annoyingly!

Spent all day today making a new linkage for the throttle body as it had no provision for the TV cable whatsoever and then adding a suitable mount to the cable bracket. Went based on information here:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p1.html

The post for the cable is 1.1" from the throttle shaft centre line and with the throttle 25% open it is vertically below the throttle shaft.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:24:20 PM   #480
Cowman
Lifetime Gold Member

Then you're all set for summer!

Still can't believe how quickly you turned round your project, and still making improvements! Good man! Any new projects in the pipeline?