flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for dropping by and checking it out

Our Bonneville Adventures follow the progress on Facebook
flak monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:56:37 AM   #527
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Done a bit more to the oil pan. Got some 4mm sheet and made an extension for the bottom section, this will regain the capacity lost by cutting down the depth. It gives the pan more or less the same dimensions as the Cadillac CTS-V pan.

Currently just tacked together, I want to bolt the pan to the block before fully welding it to minimise distortion.

Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 06-28-2015, 02:31:16 PM   #528
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Been ages since I did anything on this! Been too busy getting our Bonneville race bike ready!

Anyway...

I'm a bit stuck for options in the UK, and splashing out on some very expensive CNC heads would just about bankrupt me I think! So as I had these stock heads here I thought I would make use of them. Not my first porting job by a long stretch, but it is the first set of LS heads I've done.

5 hours in and I've got one head roughed out with the carbide cutter. Just need to finish it off with cartridge rolls and give the exhaust ports a polish.

After they have been skimmed I'll polish the chambers and unshroud the valves as well.

I had a scrap head here as well, so decided to drill the ports in a few places to find out how thick the walls were as I wanted to remove quite a bit of material, especially around the exhaust ports.

Started off by marking out the inlet ports on the face so they were all the same size.

And here's a stock inlet port/valve throat, there's a big step where the cast runner meets the seat insert which you might not be able to see in the photos.

First thing I did was dive in with a big carbide cutter and blend the seat into the throat

Then in with a smaller ball cutter and worked on the area around the guide. I did think about cutting the guide back, but I can't see any huge benefits from doing so?

I didn't really touch the rest of the port apart from cleaning up a few casting marks. I just need to run a cartridge roll all the way through the port to finish it off

Inlet ports all squared up and equally sized

Next the exhaust ports - these were even worse where the seat meets the cast runner - but the port was a long way behind the seat insert, so all I could really do was clean it up a bit and blend it as best possible.

The main work on the exhaust side was at the port exit. They seem very small at the manifold, so I marked them out and then cut quite a lot of material out of the ports including on the top and bottom of the runners so as to make the port the same size all the way through.

Here's a side by side comparison

And all done

Not sure if what I've done will actually result in any gains... but it passes the time!

Old Yesterday, 12:11:41 AM   #529
JCSilver80
Gold Member

Nice work on the cylinder heads. How much do you have left to get your bike ready for the salt??

"Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time"

Project Thread:http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230634
JCSilver80 is online now   Reply With Quote