NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Interior Restoration
User Name
Password

Old 04-07-2012, 08:17:07 PM   #1
71 Camaro
Veteran Member

Dash Pad Epoxy?

Have pulled the warpage out using heat and weights. Now would like to add attachment points underneath. My idea is to grind the heads of some short bolts very thin and then epoxying these underneath, giving me several studs to be used to fine tune the dash, pulling it down where needed as much as needed.

Has anyone done anything similar? What adhesive did you use? Am debating between 5 min epoxy, JB Weld, or fiberglass resin.
71 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:57:04 PM   #2
mech393
Veteran Member

i cut out the squares that should have studs put in at the factory, then i made a sheetmetal square to fit the hole and weld in a screw to the sheetmetal square after that i fiber glassed it in, its been six years and the dash has'nt lifted yet.
mech393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:59:30 PM   #3
71 Camaro
Veteran Member

That sounds a lot like what I have in mind, but one thing I don't understand, do you mean bolts? I don't see how it would work with screws. Also, why did you remove those squares? I was going to just glue right on those. Maybe I should go look at them again. Thanks for the tip on the fiberglass. Have had good luck with the stuff, but figured something else might be better.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:38:20 PM   #4
mech393
Veteran Member

yes i think i used a 10/32 bolt or screw what ever you wan't to call it as long as a nut will thread on it , and also i used the longer clamps from classic industries to hold down the dash pad.
mech393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:44:27 PM   #5
71 Camaro
Veteran Member

Sweet! This beats the heck out of replacing it. Getting the hump out really wasn't that hard either. It just isn't lying quite flat. Few fasteners where needed and it'll be perfect.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:19:58 AM   #6
CamarosRus
Veteran Member

Want specific info as to HOW to
heat up slightly warped pad so i pull down f
Flat after i install additional small carriage bolts????
70 R/S Z-28, 70 SS L-78, 70 R/S SS L-48 (all 4spds)
69 COPO "Recreation"
CamarosRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 04-15-2012, 02:17:17 PM   #7
nova66mussl

One to consider is called an elevator bolt. It has a large diameter head that is very thin like a flat washer. You can dremel out a large round hole back from where you want the stud then dremel a small slot big enough for the stud part. Insert into the large hole then slide into the slot.
nova66mussl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:47:12 AM   #8
71 Camaro
Veteran Member

Not sure I follow what you're saying nova66, but sounds like a good idea, could you elaborate a bit more? You lost me with the slots and hole stuff. I'm thinking of using brackets off a bathroom vanity top on the new studs. I noticed that these sinks are attached very similarly to the dash pad.

As for pulling out the warp, it was a piece of cake. I have everything out of the dash to refurb it all a bit, so plenty of room now. Took a heat gun and just got it really warm on the back side and it just flopped back down. I shoved everything heavy I could find on top to keep it low as it cooled. Ended up doing it a few times, trying to improve things, but it didn't make a lot of difference. If it resists drawing up evenly, I'll heat it up some more. For the record all the techniques that I used I found here on this forum. If you search for it, you'll find enough reading to keep you busy for an entire evening.