Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General Topics > Project Progress
User Name
Password

Old 05-06-2012, 08:26:34 AM   #256
Cowman
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICARDO1969
That is some nice welding Curious what machine are you using im in the market for a new machine looking at the Millermatic 180 I had enough of the old Lincoln flux welder.
Hi Ricardo, I'm using a Clarke 151TE Mig Welder.

I bought it ages ago from my local Machine Mart and its never let me down, I think it's limit is 6mm of mild steel but then I've never needed to weld anything that thick. It's perfect for what I'm doing at the minute and Mig is a great way to weld.

Here's the link... http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...welder#reviews

The Millermatic 180 looks like a nice unit, but I'm not that familiar with what you guys have got over the pond. All I can suggest is to try before you buy if you can. I was able to use my mates Clarke welder before I bought one - so I knew I'd get on with one.

Hope this helps.

'Relax, all right. My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.'
Cowman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:41:38 PM   #257
Cowman
Lifetime Gold Member

Not much progress today, was out on a mates Stag do last night and spent a lot of today with a sore head recovering.

I did manage to get out and pick up a new toy though, still plenty of smaller parts to blast so I thought this would pay for itself.

Should be back on it this week!

'Relax, all right. My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.'
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 05-06-2012, 03:44:37 PM   #258
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Handy tool, hope you have a big CFM compressor to run it

Our Bonneville Adventures follow the progress on Facebook
flak monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:31:00 PM   #259
The_Parts_Guy

Hello Cowman,

My name is Matt and your dad told me to check this site out. I have been working with your dad ordering parts from Classic. Your dad was right it is simply amazing what you have done with this car. Tell your dad Matt from Classic says Hello.
The_Parts_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55:32 AM   #260
protour73
Lifetime Gold Member

Hey Cowman, here are some pics of the modification I had done on my car for that Roof/Quarter Panel seam. This was a big concern of mine as I didn't want to put a ton of money into the paint and bodywork only to have it crack due to body flex later on. This is something you see on many 2nd Gen Camaro's. I added subframe connectors to add to the rigidity of the frame as well.

Great work on your car so far!!

protour73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:22:31 AM   #261
Cowman
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Parts_Guy
Hello Cowman,

My name is Matt and your dad told me to check this site out. I have been working with your dad ordering parts from Classic. Your dad was right it is simply amazing what you have done with this car. Tell your dad Matt from Classic says Hello.
Hey Matt, great to hear from you buddy, Dad said you'd been checking out my build on these pages! Thanks for your kind words on the build, this project would be so much harder without help (and patience) from guys like yourself!

I'm already putting together another order, there's a few essentials I need to finish the bodywork, especially a new RS nose - I'll be in touch!

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:29:35 AM   #262
Cowman
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protour73
Hey Cowman, here are some pics of the modification I had done on my car for that Roof/Quarter Panel seam. This was a big concern of mine as I didn't want to put a ton of money into the paint and bodywork only to have it crack due to body flex later on. This is something you see on many 2nd Gen Camaro's. I added subframe connectors to add to the rigidity of the frame as well.
Hi Scott, thanks for attaching those photos, it looks as though I pretty much did the same as you in welding up the seams. It just made sense to add some additional strength in this area. I too wouldn't want to have the joint crack after paint!

I haven't gone for SFC's yet, because I want to see how the car rides without them first, but have installed Hotchkis suspension all round to improve things over standard and lower the centre of gravity.

Thanks for stopping by.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:27:23 PM   #263
Cowman
Lifetime Gold Member

A little more progress to report, fired up my new toy last night and blasted the trunk hinges and the bracket thingy which goes under the drivers floorpan.

Got these welded up tonight...

Got this bracket welded up too, I replaced the floor earlier in the build so had to salvage this off the old one and clean it up. All I need to do now is drill through...

I just couldn't resist unpacking my hood and chucking it on. On initial inspection I don't think there will be too many fitment issues - fingers crossed.

I think I made the right choice for my build, I was always tempted to go for a cowl hood but love the clean lines of the original, should look great in paint.

Hope to make some more progress this weekend. Thanks for looking!

Old 05-10-2012, 05:02:17 PM   #264
1971zed
Lifetime Gold Member

I always look forward to seeing your posts....awesome work Cowman

"PRO LIGHT"
The ONLY way to start a Drag Race.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_N2CPM3hbetY/TL...0/_IGP3942.JPG
1971zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:12:22 PM   #265
barri corps

Enjoying this thread, some serious work gone into this one !

Keep up the good work.
barri corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:27:16 AM   #266
Jas0n
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowman

I think I made the right choice for my build, I was always tempted to go for a cowl hood but love the clean lines of the original, should look great in paint.

Sweet! Great progress here, looking this pic it seems to be finished!!

Join' my new boring project progress thread by clicking here!
Jas0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:01:20 AM   #267
FlaJunkie
Lifetime Gold Member

The fitment problem starts at the doors along the body lines. Getting them aligned properly with the body drives the fenders, and the hood, as to where THEY will fit properly. Anything more than a fraction of an inch really stands out when you are done.

Maybe it will fit fine, but keeping your fingers crossed makes it hard to turn a wrench!

Keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowman
I just couldn't resist unpacking my hood and chucking it on. On initial
inspection I don't think there will be too many fitment issues - fingers crossed.

I think I made the right choice for my build, I was always tempted to go for a cowl
hood but love the clean lines of the original, should look great in paint.

My Personal Z28 Website link...Click Here.
FlaJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:39:46 AM   #268
ezetorr37
Veteran Member

Looks great Cowman! Like Flajunkie, I hope you can install the doors and have perfect alignment with the fenders and quarters, I installed the hood this week and there's no way I can make it fit correctly, but yours looks great.

Ezekiel

Caribbean Camaro RS 79
See my progress thread:
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198979
ezetorr37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:51:21 PM   #269
Cowman
Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks guys, made some more progress this weekend, figured I'd fit up the panels and see how everything went together. On the whole things were ok, I was pretty happy with how the passenger side turned out...

The gaps are ok, but I will need to 'add' some here and there to the edges to make things spot on.

The drivers side on the other hand has been fighting me all the way, the gaps aren't great and its going to need quite a bit of work. Things were only made worse by my knackered door hinges, I mean they are trash, the lowers are ok and I will rebuild those but the uppers are completely shot. So far gone I can't even repair them, anyone have some spare uppers they fancy parting with?

Ok another question here for you guys, the gaps at the bottom of the doors seem a little excessive to me, almost half inch, I can't remember from when I tore the car apart but what sort of gap should I be aiming for? I have replaced the skins so maybe they came up a bit short low down?

Is the gap for a seal? It's pretty uniform across, whats everyone else's gaps like?

Final photo for the weekend, I'll try and get the trunk latch bracket welded up this week.

Oh yeah, hood doesn't look like its going to be a million miles out either.

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:58:09 PM   #270
mathd

I have about 1/4 gap at the bottom of my driver side door to rocker. and passager side is 1/8.

I have a problem with my front/hood gap.. Seem like at the front of the hood driver side there is no gap and there is 3/8 gap at the passager side but my door to quarter and door to fender gap is ok... can't get it fixed... Wish mine was fitting as well as yours.

My 80 assembly manual call for 1/8 all around the hood, and 1/4 from fender to door(my door end up with about 1/4 all around)
mathd is offline   Reply With Quote