NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > High Tech Retrofits
User Name
Password

Old 04-14-2012, 10:57:32 AM   #1
DMSTAINLESS
Veteran Member

Msd atomic efi

Im getting ready to pull the trigger on the msd atomic efi and was hoping to get some input from the members here. Has anybody gone this route? Hows the quality? And were u happy with the purchase and the outcome? Also with the master kit did u have all that u needed for the install?
Thx
Old 04-14-2012, 09:10:40 PM   #2
DMSTAINLESS
Veteran Member

Nobody?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:25:02 PM   #3
1WILDZ
Veteran Member

A buddy of mine got the.very 1st one that Jegs sold, we havent put it on yet. We took the whole subframe off, and the rear suspension also. Prob in a week or two. Its going in a 1968 camaro with a 496BBC. Stay tuned...
1979 Z28 360ci, 11:1 comp, Comp Cams Extreme energy hyd roller, turbo 400 reverse manual valve body, 10 bolt rear Eaton posi 3.90 gears, Moser axles
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456765
1WILDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:19:17 AM   #4
DMSTAINLESS
Veteran Member

I saw a power block utube they put one on a 69 nova. Really smoothed it out and numbers improved nicely, about 30 hp at the wheels. But most importantly it made the car very street able and fun.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:03:24 PM   #5
CDesperado
Lifetime Gold Member

What made you decide between the MSD Atomic and the Holley Avenger?

I need to make a decision on this myself in the near future. I am leaning towards the MSD too, primarily bc it is reportedly easier to install and manage.

There is always a better way. Find it. (Thomas Edison)
CDesperado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:39:11 PM   #6
PolarBear
I love hood, I love lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDesperado

I need to make a decision on this myself in the near future. I am leaning towards the MSD too, primarily bc it is reportedly easier to install and manage.
I read through the MSD instructions. It really isnt any easier to install than the Holley and it doesnt control the timing still.

IMO I dont know why anyone would want anything other than the Holley, it is just so much better

I love hood

The artist formerly known as notchbackgta
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:46:11 PM   #7
DMSTAINLESS
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDesperado

Yep I like the pulse flow pump that pushes the fuel and no need for a return, I also like the look of the unit better than the ez efi, also that it supports enuf hp for my application some of the others were only 400 hp. Also if u order by the end of may they throw in an msd 6a box for free.
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 04-15-2012, 08:22:00 PM   #8
DMSTAINLESS
Veteran Member

The holley has way more connections and it uses a return line. Also the good one is the multiport which requires the new intake and does not keep the old school carb look. It may have more options but that also means less simple to me... The multiport is also a grand more. I'm leaning towards the simplicity of the msd.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:13:44 PM   #9
kawboy
Veteran Member

I have looked at the MSD at trade shows and when I am ready for one it will be the MSD. Originally it was the EZ EFI until I saw the new MSD.
kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:21:35 PM   #10
newschool72
Veteran Member

I hope the MSD works as well for you as the Fast EZ is working for me. I do like the Holly carb look of the MSD. Time will tell if it is as good or better than the Fast in function. Good Luck and I will be waiting to hear of how well it works for you.

68 camaro, 406, th350, 4.10s. Old schoolin hotrod. 11.30 at 120 on dragrads, pumpgas, footbraken.

I prefer the simplistic life of telling the truth. Besides Im not smart enough to remember what I said, if I tell a lie. That being said, if the truth is going to hurt your feelings, please don't ask the question.
newschool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:06:24 AM   #11
CDesperado
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear
I read through the MSD instructions. It really isnt any easier to install than the Holley and it doesnt control the timing still.

In case anyone comes across this in the future, the part I marked in red is incorrect. (At least according to the MSD website.)

I have spent months agonizing over which system to use, and I put together a side-by-side comparison of four different systems. I will post this up here..

There is always a better way. Find it. (Thomas Edison)

Last edited by CDesperado : 05-03-2012 at 08:51:41 AM.
CDesperado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33:32 AM   #12
DMSTAINLESS
Veteran Member

Ya if u run the free digital box they offer and remove weights and springs from the dist u can set it up for timing control. I will let u know how much I like it in a few weeks when I get it and installation is complete.