NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Body Restoration
User Name
Password

Old 04-14-2012, 05:37:21 PM   #1
76 camaro car 1
Veteran Member

What to use to clean a convertible top?

A friend of mine left her mustang convertible with me last year after her and her husband were transferred to Texas for a year. The reason they left it with me was so I could do the body work and paint the car while they were gone. I have completed all the work I was to do on the car but I have a lot of tree's in my yard. The top was relatively new when they left the car here. Next month they will be back and I would like to clean the top up a little but do not know what to use on it. Does anyone know a product they would recommend?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:57:43 PM   #2
dgiepss
Veteran Member

mothers makes a convetable top cleaner
dgiepss is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 04-14-2012, 06:11:33 PM   #3
earlysecond
Veteran Member

I used to sell a product in the aftermarket that would knock the slop out of dirty tops.

Try to find, perhaps at an auto paint dealer a product labeled leather and plastic cleaner.

It really worked exceedingly well.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:20:34 PM   #4
spicewood1
BANNED

I have cleaned the original top on my 69 Camaro with everything at one time or another. Straight laquer thinner, greased lightning, bleach - nothing has hurt it yet. You need a stiff brush to get in the grain though.
spicewood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:24:37 PM   #5
76 camaro car 1
Veteran Member

Thanks for the responses, I know dawn and water does not hardly touch the stuff. I guess I should have kept the car washed better. I want the car to look great when they get back. They have put a lot of money into it while they were gone. They sent me the money to take it and have the seats recovered and new carpet installed. I am almost done with the paint. The front bumper lifted when I put color on so still have it to do. But the top kind of takes away from the car now.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:07:59 PM   #6
earlysecond
Veteran Member

76 well played nice looking job. Clear of choice?

I once painted a CJ Jeep for a friend of a friend basically in a weekend and pretty much whatever they could pay, they had landed on some hard times so I figured I would surprise them since the Jeep was sitting at my buddy's garage and needed some patches to pass inspection. Once I painted it, one of my other friends bought them a new top becasue he said that it looked like crap compared to the fresh paint.

That will look sharp when you button it up.

What happened to the bumper?
Old 04-14-2012, 11:29:40 PM   #7
76 camaro car 1
Veteran Member

Not really sure what happened. It was a new cover and I washed it with soap and water,sanded it,primed it and sanded it with 400. When I shot the base coat on in the very front it lifted in a spot about 6" long. I've never heard of base coat lifting primer but I don't know what else it could be. It was cool when I painted it and all I had was hot weather reducer. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. That was the only spot it happened at so I kept going. Cleared the whole car except the front bumper. The color is that nasty looking ford color E9 but I did not use the mid coat just the base. I think it looks a lot better than it does with the mid coat.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:46:45 AM   #8
earlysecond
Veteran Member

Not sure what base coat you were using but I always have trouble when it is below 70 spraying cheap base. I have cleaned lightning strike patterns that ran the length of panels 1 or 2 times.

Seems to happen with non-urethane bases to me. You'll get it and it will come out fine. The rest looks really good from here.