NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > High Tech Retrofits
User Name
Password

Old 03-09-2012, 12:31:26 PM   #1
TX79Z28
Lifetime Gold Member

Edelbrock pro-flo XT FI system

I did several searches, but couldn't find any posts about this particular FI system. I am considering this for my 79 (Gen I SBC, 700R, street only) and was wondering if anyone has installed this system and what their impressions/opinions are about it?

Specifically:

Installation
Clearance issues with stock Z28 (79) hood
Tuning
Performance (mpg?)

I am going with an AAW Highway 22 wiring harness, so I don't have to worry about interfacing with the OEM wiring

Last edited by TX79Z28 : 03-09-2012 at 02:44:32 PM.
TX79Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:47:17 AM   #2
TX79Z28
Lifetime Gold Member

hello?

anyone?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:36:35 PM   #3
burley

Iam not aware of any one using the Edelbrock system. Iam buying the FAST EZ EFI and others here are using it. I think the MSD sounds great buy I have a lot of support from FAST and that makes a big difference to me.
burley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:44:07 PM   #4
71RS/SS396
Veteran Member

I have no experience with the pro flo xt but I've used the original pro flo and was not overly impressed, it took a lot of tuning to even get it close to right, the supplied fuel pump was too small and pooped out on the dyno before max rpm and the distributor burned up shortly afterwards. This was installed on a 383 with edelbrocks performer rpm top end kit so I would've thought it would be close but it wasn't and I still have cold start issues that nobody seems to be able to solve.

71 SS LS -3 Stock #'s matching
Mulsanne Blue

69 RS/SS Pro-touring

61 LeSabre 2dr post

70 Z/28 Track Car Build http://www.detroitspeed.com/Projects...maro-pg-1.html

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/losabre
71RS/SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:54:26 PM   #5
ErikNORCAL
Veteran Member

I don't know if the xt offers much more than what they started with (the pro flo) but it does look cool. I currently have a Pro Flo on mine but haven't logged anything more than going down the street. They are pretty reliable and good basic systems from what I've found but are limited if you want to start going with lots of mods or power adders. There's a link of the car running in the troubleshooting section under my name. Unrelated to the installation, which was straight forward for an amateur like me, got some internal noise that may be a collapsed lifter or something from sitting.
If you are looking to go EFI on a SBC cheaper, I have a spare Pro Flo system #3500 I'd let go for a heck of a lot less than a new system. I found a complete manifold minus the harness and everything else, then found all that complete minus the manifold. Meant to run it on my dads street rod but he ended up selling it. Would need an electronic distributor from Mallory or MSD which is way better than the conversion kit they use.
ErikNORCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 03-12-2012, 08:26:03 AM   #6
TX79Z28
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikNORCAL
I don't know if the xt offers much more than what they started with (the pro flo) but it does look cool. I currently have a Pro Flo on mine but haven't logged anything more than going down the street. They are pretty reliable and good basic systems from what I've found but are limited if you want to start going with lots of mods or power adders. There's a link of the car running in the troubleshooting section under my name. Unrelated to the installation, which was straight forward for an amateur like me, got some internal noise that may be a collapsed lifter or something from sitting.
If you are looking to go EFI on a SBC cheaper, I have a spare Pro Flo system #3500 I'd let go for a heck of a lot less than a new system. I found a complete manifold minus the harness and everything else, then found all that complete minus the manifold. Meant to run it on my dads street rod but he ended up selling it. Would need an electronic distributor from Mallory or MSD which is way better than the conversion kit they use.

I should have stated in my OP that this will be for a street-only car, driven on the weekends, and no track time. I don't see myself doing any mods or trying to get more HP out of the engine. I am just looking for something that is reliable and user-friendly as far as installation and tuning. The engine is still out of the car (as well as EVERYTHING else!), so I am not quite ready to install it. Will PM you at that time, and see if you still have that 3500, thank you.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:29:05 PM   #7
andrew69_04
Veteran Member

I worked on one of these systems in the past on a SBC truck a guy had. The tuning was a pain. It took alot of work to get it close, and he had the same cold start issues others have mentioned. I believe he ditched the system since and has gone to something else.
andrew69_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:58:39 PM   #8
79ZED
Veteran Member

Pro Flo XT systems use an entirely different ECU, so you can't compare the two.

John
79ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:03:11 PM   #9
TX79Z28
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ZED
Pro Flo XT systems use an entirely different ECU, so you can't compare the two.

John

Different, as in one is better than the other?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:00:36 PM   #10
ErikNORCAL
Veteran Member

The table at the bottom of the link gives you a general overview of features. I don't know the particulars of the ecu itself except that they did away with the chip and can use flash programming. I believe the tables which you are programming are basically the same size though. Also I know you can adapt a wideband such as the innovate LC-1 to the pro flo and suspect it would be the same process for the systems (such as the XT) that don't have wideband.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/efi/
ErikNORCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:34:13 PM   #11
czizza
Veteran Member

I have the original pro-flow rpm with 4V system and have had it in my Camaro since '97. I had to replace the O2 sensor twice and the distributor once. I have the Mallory distributor since '03 and have had no issues.

I am tuning it a new SBC 409 engine and working out all of the kinks. The new one looks really cool.

As for performance, the car with me is 3800 LBS and I have run 12.69 with a 4 speed S10 and I bogged in 2nd. I am working on that so I will let you know how that works out.
czizza is offline   Reply With Quote