NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General Topics > Tips 'n' Tricks Topic > Detailing Topic
User Name
Password

Old 08-26-2011, 11:07:40 AM   #1
cgibsong002
Veteran Member

Will wax deteriorate from sitting?

I've never waxed or applied any type of product really to my camaro since having it painted 3 years ago. it doesn't see rain or even cold weather really and is garaged. i've always just washed it. so i've never had experience with any other types of products. i was reading through this page: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?37320-Meguiar-s-5-Step-Paint-Care-Cycle-Updated! as one of you posted, and i'm inspired to give it a shot. i'm thinking the M09 followed by the pure carnauba wax. the paint is fairly new and hasn't seen much weather, so i'm thinking i can combine the clean/polish in one step.

anyway, to my original question. i'm leaving for college tomorrow, i may be back to drive the car in a week, or it could be two months. if i polish/wax the car and then cover it in the garage.. will it look as good when i come back as it does today? or am i wasting my time by doing this if i won't potentially be driving it for a while again?
cgibsong002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:12:14 PM   #2
CorkyE
Lifetime Gold Member

In the garage, wax will last for a long long time.

79 Z28 bought new, honeymoon ride same year, still have same wife, same car.
CorkyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:31:43 PM   #3
cgibsong002
Veteran Member

Ok, thanks. Doesn't look like I'll be doing that though. WalMart didn't have the #9 and i ended up picking up the nxt 2.0 wax. I found a think of meguiars polishing compound here as well as a turtle wax brand compound. Figured id just try the polish since they said they get rid of minor swirls and my car barely had any. The meguiars did nothing for the swirls and the turtle brand made it much, much worse. So that was a huge disappointment. I also found an old bottle of 'kit' swirl compound which did a little, but not much. The nxt 2.0 said it actually gets rid of minor swirls as well so i applied a small section to try but I'm not counting on it. Guess I'll most likely just wait until next time i come home and get the scratchX as well as a DA then do it in 3 steps like i should. Are DA's as easy to use as they sound or should i practice on a beater car first?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:35:18 PM   #4
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

I've found car wax(the tough old turtle variety) that my Dad had purchased when I was just a kid....I've used up the entire can with good results...the stuff is so tough to get off the car after it hazes over that you will swear not to ever use it again...but it lasts so good and your memory of how tough it was to remove escapes you, so you use it again.....LOL
Old 08-26-2011, 04:53:18 PM   #5
cgibsong002
Veteran Member

Surprisingly the 2.0 wax did remove... Or at least hide.. A very good amount of scratches that the turtle wax brand polishing compound put in, but as expected it didn't completely remove everything. I'll just wait so I can do it right. Is there a bug difference between different brands DAs or not really? WalMart had a couple really cheap ones.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:18:00 PM   #6
deputbig
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wright
I've found car wax(the tough old turtle variety) that my Dad had purchased when I was just a kid....I've used up the entire can with good results...the stuff is so tough to get off the car after it hazes over that you will swear not to ever use it again...but it lasts so good and your memory of how tough it was to remove escapes you, so you use it again.....LOL

^^^^^Agreed
deputbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:55:54 PM   #7
GoldenOne7710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyE
In the garage, wax will last for a long long time.
Yep, even the 'cheapest' wax will last a long time out of the weather. Sun and acid rain are the 2 biggest enemies of paint. If you're parking with a roof overhead, you're automatically protected from both. I'd still like a coat of wax protection regardless if it were mine.

NRA Life Member
GeorgiaCarry.org Member
GeorgiaPacking.org Member
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Equal Opportunity Offender
GoldenOne7710 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:19:13 PM   #8
cgibsong002
Veteran Member

Yeah its unfortunate I never was knowledgeable about this stuff. Its a two year old paint job and I never did anything but a wash and wax car wash. Now I see the swirl marks and realize what I should've been doing. For now though at least I've got it garages and covered, so there's no risk with it sitting.

But when I can, what would you guys recommend I use? Like I said I already have the nxt wax and a polishing compound. Should I try the swirl #9 ? That will also clean a bit, so I shouldn't need a clay bar if the paint is new and out of the elements, right? Or should I look at the scratch remover instead since I already have a pure polish for afterwards?

Since the car hardly gets driven and is always garaged I just want something that I can use to do it right and have it last a long time.
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 08-27-2011, 03:51:12 PM   #9
GoldenOne7710
Veteran Member

How do you plan on applying the product? By hand or buffer?

With 3 year old paint that hasn't been in the weather, you DEFINITELY shouldn't need a clay bar. I wouldn't 'think' you would even need a machine applied product either.

The #9 applied by hand should be good enough to remove light swirls. Follow up with a coat of Meguiars Gold Class™ Carnauba Plus wax. Make sure your application pads are clean/new (and I prefer mine a little damp). You should be good to go...just be prepared to work your butt off! You'll appreciate the amount of work in the end.

NRA Life Member
GeorgiaCarry.org Member
GeorgiaPacking.org Member
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Equal Opportunity Offender
GoldenOne7710 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:04:48 PM   #10
cgibsong002
Veteran Member

was planning on doing it by hand. i also saw the $20 machines at walmart.. might grab one of them. know they won't really do any better than i could by hand with the pressure they're capable of, but i figure it'll at least save me some work.

whats the difference between the carnauba and the nxt 2.0 wax (which i already bought)?
Old 08-27-2011, 04:46:53 PM   #11
cgibsong002
Veteran Member

double

Last edited by cgibsong002 : 08-27-2011 at 04:49:38 PM.