NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Electrical Systems > Car Audio, Electronics & Security
User Name
Password

Old 05-24-2011, 10:03:16 AM   #1
RXL

Budget audio idea's

I had an idea that someone I'm sure has already experimented with and if you have, feedback would be great.
I have a set of 3 way 6x9's laying around and I noticed the mid and tweet are mounted to a bracket that has a pole extending down the center of the speaker and held in place via a screw through the large magnet on the back.

The mid and tweet are an attractive looking piece and have caps in place to prevent the lower frequencies from sending them up in smoke. Seems they could be easily mounted in any shallow pocket.

Thoughts?
Knowing there is just about anything and everything geared towards car audio available for a price, keep in mind, not everyone has the means or desire to lay out $$ for some decent sounding tunes.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:11:18 AM   #2
Twisted_Metal
L. G. M. / Moderator

I used tweeters from a set of component speakers (mounted on the "A" pillar) and split the signal (passive x-over) between them and a pair if 3.5" speakers in the dash.

The tweeters were leftover stock from an out-of-business manufacturer and it all came from eBay.

If you can find a good place to mount the mid and tweets.. Go for it.
I've even heard of people mounting tweeters in the vents.

Last edited by Twisted_Metal : 05-24-2011 at 10:15:02 AM.
Twisted_Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:37:38 AM   #3
RXL

The previous owner tossed the vents and half azz'd some 3 1/2's in them. No suprise seeing all the other garbage I keep finding in this car.
I drove it for a few days and it's been parked since. Getting there though.

Well thats good news. I may mount them in the doors. I have pocket panels and want to change them to flat panels. I wont mind cutting the flats up if I still have the originals. I have an extra console I just picked up for $10 too, so maybe experiment with that also.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:30:24 PM   #4
RXL

I went ahead and mounted the mid/tweets that were scavenged from a pair of pooched 6x9's. I had a pair of 6 1/2 Memphis class M's I stuck in there too. Class M's need to be amped, but the mid/tweets run off the HU.
I also made up some lower door panels so I could save my originals.
Total cost of the panels was about $65. Had to have the piping made up which was 1/3 the cost.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-01-2011, 05:35:39 PM   #5
RXL

Cheap sub box? I was at a garage sale this morning and found an old Paradigm 8" powered sub for $5. Didnt bother to see if it worked as I had plans for it.
I had 2 10" Alpine Type R's in a small sealed box wedged into the Camaro trunk. And I do mean wedged. The smallest dual 10" box you can buy prefabbed. Atleast that I could find.
The subs sounded like shyte compared to being used previously in a large ported box.
Back to the box. I knocked the front out of it and replaced it with a piece of 3/4 MDF that the sub mounted to. I sealed the exsisting amp back into the box after wiring the single sub to recieve a 2ohm load from my amp. The box already had a very large port and suprisingly, it works well. Pounds atleast 3-4 times better than the previous dual setup and fits in the left side of the trunk with ease and room to spare.
And the black walnut finish doesnt look so bad either.
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals