As mentioned in the garage section, now that it's 20 degrees outside there's a flurry of activity in the cold garage and my 74Z. Either that or the fact I have to gather up all my 73Z stuff had booted me in the pants to figure out what I have/need/don't need for the 74Z.
Anyway to make a long story short... today is the FIRST day where (so far) - nothing's gone wrong. I'm fixing a PITA problem and I fixed it without incident.
Whoever screwed my car together back in 1974 was either lit up or on cruise control cause every door bolt hole was cross-threaded. I went to hang the doors on the car many years ago and noticed that problem. Since the plan is to hang the doors (permanently) on this car tomorrow, I went out and tapped all the mounting block holes in the door jambs and door shells (these are from a 1970 and weren't messed up too bad). Sucess. I didn't sheer the tap off in 1 of the holes, I didn't drop the door on my foot. I didn't get a hernia...
This is part of my "tapping jacked up holes" batch work.
I respotted all the sheet metal and have it laid out nicely for the paint gun, and opened up some space.
I have 15 plastic bins of goodies for this car. I can't remember what's what. So it should be relatively safe to sort through these bins. I'll do that this afternoon.
Yesterday was "under the car" bitch work. Installing the (heavy full size) starter, wire conduit (undoing bellhousing bolt - the hardest one), speedo cable, checking oil. Whoops, I didn't realize there was a quart in the engine (didn't register on the stick) - so that's all over the floor now.
Last tip of advice for today: the car has no front end sheet metal on it. I used a tire to put my ratchet on top of temporarily.... then scooted out from under the car and accidentally rolled the tire. Next thing I remember.... I was still laid out on the floor but I was trying to make a concious effort to get off the floor and get into the house before crapping out. I look like Tiger Woods with a golfball sized welt on my eyelash. And apparently when that hit me I was in the process of getting up, so that slammed the back of my head into the concrete.
So - while I'm careful to not have the whole car fall on my ass, I neglected to think about smaller stuff.
As I mentioned in the engine section, I gotta overcome the stripped out hole in my crankshaft snout.
That is/was a major hurdle and pissed me off. I'm going to enlist some help to get that solved so I can finish screwing the engine together and fire it up.