View Full Version : Anyone see the benefits of a pre-oiler?

Todd80Z28
09-16-2007, 10:32:30 AM
Like many here, I don't seem to drive my car all that often anymore. It can sometimes sit for a few weeks between starts. One of my concerns with that is the bearings being dry, or drier, than they'd be after sitting for just a couple of days.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/products/amsoil-prechargers-amk01-amk02.htm

I know the mains on the bottom end of my engine are down through a couple layers of material. It's only got 82k on it, and with a whopping 320hp, maybe, it's not like I'm brutalizing them. I'm left to wonder if it's the dry starts that are the problem.

Thoughts?

Todd

Lowend
09-16-2007, 11:26:19 AM
A buddy of mine who is an engineer did some research of these pre-oilers a few years back and found that they really don't have any effect. The pressure isn't high enough and not well directed enough to really do anything to float the crank.
That was on a Canton system though

camertom
09-16-2007, 12:00:22 PM
Not needed at all in an automotive engine. They are needed in 2500 hp 45 litre diesels with huge volume capacity oiling circuits but in a V-8? Someone wants your money more than you do. The bearings are not "drying out".

rchydzik
09-16-2007, 02:46:10 PM
What leads you to think your bearings are worn? If they are, I am just curious as to what type of motor oil you have been using. I think a block heater might be more effective, especially if you are starting it on cool mornings.

Todd80Z28
09-16-2007, 03:36:37 PM
What leads you to think your bearings are worn? If they are, I am just curious as to what type of motor oil you have been using. I think a block heater might be more effective, especially if you are starting it on cool mornings.They were worn the last time I had the main caps off, just to take a peak. That was around Xmas 2001. I was down into the 3rd layer of material. That, and after three tries, I cannot get the rear main seal to seal up. A respected builder in FL told me top reason for that, assuming correct install, was a worn rear main bearing.
I didn't/don't really care enough about the engine that's in the car now (which is the factory original LM1 bottom end) to do a full rebuild at that time. I'm thinking more about the next build, and protecting it.

onovakind67
09-17-2007, 02:46:12 PM
We use an accumulator in our road race motors. It keeps the oil pressure more constant under severe road conditions, and can be used as a pre-oiler if you close it off when the oil pressure is high.