View Full Version : Where can I find a Torsen T-2R for GM 8.5"

Penix
06-15-2007, 04:18:38 AM
I'm look'n all over and I can't seem to find the damn thing. Is this some mythical creature or something?

hardline_42
06-15-2007, 08:14:53 AM
I'm look'n all over and I can't seem to find the damn thing. Is this some mythical creature or something?
Any gear type differential will give you the same performance as the Torsen. I would suggest the Detroit TrueTrac if you're stuck on a worm gear LSD. Otherwise, a regular old Eaton clutch posi will be sufficient for just about every application.

80'427
06-15-2007, 10:10:50 AM
I have a tru-trac (torsen design) in the the front of my k-10 and it is seemless when driving in 4x4 but will climb a brick wall with the help of the detroit out back.

SHANE 73Z
06-15-2007, 10:29:22 AM
Penix,

IIRC I bought my whole setup from Reider. They are still listed under the Zexel name on their site. They carry the whole line & can get wahtever you need.

You mind me askin what the application is? I decided on the T-2 for my car after the difference was explained.

Shane

GetMore
06-15-2007, 01:07:12 PM
Big Gear Head can get them, IIRC.

yodaddy
06-15-2007, 01:34:52 PM
http://www.stranoparts.com/index.php

Try giving them a call.

hardline_42
06-15-2007, 01:59:56 PM
http://www.stranoparts.com/index.php

Try giving them a call.

Last time I checked they didn't have any. Also, Sam deals primarily with road racing and autocross parts for 4th gens which have a different (weaker) rear end alltogether.

yodaddy
06-15-2007, 02:06:02 PM
Last time I checked they didn't have any. Also, Sam deals primarily with road racing and autocross parts for 4th gens which have a different (weaker) rear end alltogether.

The t2-r is primarily used in road race/ autocross situation from what ive seen. I know for a fact he sells the t2-r for the 7.5" 10-bolt. But being that hes a dealer for the torsen line I would think that he can also also get the diff for different rear ends. Its worth a call.

Penix
06-15-2007, 04:06:18 PM
Road race / Autocross

My 1989 L98/700R4 (From a dual cat Formula Firebird) arrives today! I'm so pumped! I can't wait!

The tranny is already set up for 3.27 gears, and since my 79 currently has 2.41's I'll have to swap the carrier and gears out anyhow. I figure since my ultimate goal is to race this thing I might aswell get the right carrier for what my intentions are, not just something that will work for now. So I intend to install the T-2R and 30 spline axles with 3.23 gears.

I'll have to get ahold of Big Gear Head and see how much he can get me one for, delivered ofcourse. I'm also gonna send an email Reider Racing. The guys at Torsen told me that Reider does carry them, though they may not always have them on the shelf. So I'm gonna see how much they want for one. I'll post my findings!

Penix
06-15-2007, 04:18:39 PM
Just got off the phone with Reider Racing and they do have the Torsen T-2R 30-spline for GM 8.5" in stock for $600

Well, I guess I answered my own question! :)

No I just need to decide who's install kit to purchase.

hardline_42
06-15-2007, 04:22:27 PM
Road race / Autocross

My 1989 L98/700R4 (From a dual cat Formula Firebird) arrives today! I'm so pumped! I can't wait!

The tranny is already set up for 3.27 gears, and since my 79 currently has 2.41's I'll have to swap the carrier and gears out anyhow. I figure since my ultimate goal is to race this thing I might aswell get the right carrier for what my intentions are, not just something that will work for now. So I intend to install the T-2R and 30 spline axles with 3.23 gears.

I'll have to get ahold of Big Gear Head and see how much he can get me one for, delivered ofcourse. I'm also gonna send an email Reider Racing. The guys at Torsen told me that Reider does carry them, though they may not always have them on the shelf. So I'm gonna see how much they want for one. I'll post my findings!
If AutoX and R/R is your ultimate goal, the T2R is hard to beat. For any straight line, high power traction it won't be as good as a clutch type posi or spool.

I know the T2R is a probably your best bet, but for others who might want better straight line performance without sacrificing too much control on corners, a clutch posi with 400 lb springs (instead of 800, for example) won't act like a locker.

SHANE 73Z
06-15-2007, 05:57:45 PM
Penix,

These guys talked me out of the R model:

www.on-trackperformance.com

From what I was told it takes high HP (600+) & sticky tires (R compound) to necessitate the R. If your goals arent quite that lofty you could go wiht just a T2. These guys are very knowledgable about the Torsens.

After our tech conversation, the only reason I didnt purchase from them was they wouldnt return my phone call to place the order.

Shane

Penix
06-15-2007, 06:19:35 PM
If AutoX and R/R is your ultimate goal, the T2R is hard to beat. For any straight line, high power traction it won't be as good as a clutch type posi or spool.

I know the T2R is a probably your best bet, but for others who might want better straight line performance without sacrificing too much control on corners, a clutch posi with 400 lb springs (instead of 800, for example) won't act like a locker.

Okay, I'm gonna put up another post, and we'll see who suggests what diffy. I'm pretty sure I want the Torsen T-2R but let me tell you guys what I'm doing and see what everyone thinks.

yodaddy
06-15-2007, 08:22:36 PM
Penix,

These guys talked me out of the R model:

www.on-trackperformance.com

From what I was told it takes high HP (600+) & sticky tires (R compound) to necessitate the R. If your goals arent quite that lofty you could go wiht just a T2. These guys are very knowledgable about the Torsens.

After our tech conversation, the only reason I didnt purchase from them was they wouldnt return my phone call to place the order.

Shane

www.frrax.com There are plenty of folks running the t2r diffs with well under 600hp (most classes prohibit such modifications) Probably closer to 300 hp. A lot of them (the competitive ones) are running R compounds though.

Penix
06-15-2007, 09:00:55 PM
Here's a link to my other post:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89709