View Full Version : Where to get parts rechromed

BLUE72CAMARO
03-16-2007, 03:35:02 PM
I am going to be sending my window moldings and head light surrounds out to get rechromed but I dont have a clue as to where I should send them. Where have you guys had good luck with at a reasonable cost?

C-1 generation 2
03-16-2007, 05:00:48 PM
About four years ago I had some plating done on my 62 Vette,fan shroud, hood Strikers,plates and bolts and all pullies at Gateway plating in St. Louis.not cheap but they did a good job. Although the building looks shody.

BlownBigBlock
03-16-2007, 07:14:56 PM
I'm gonna send my stuff down to a place in Philly, don't have their link at the moment, but someone on here has used them and had good luck. I did talk to them about doing my grill surround, was quoted about $400 - $500 to do it, and they did say it will come out right.

Seems alot on here in the Cali area have had luck with Sherm's(?). Do a search on Keizer - he had has headlight bezels done and was quite happy.

CamarosRus
03-17-2007, 06:58:11 AM
FYI, The window reveal moldings and headlamp bezels are ALUMINUM with Brite Dip Anodizing applied. They never were Chrome plated.........Why not just have anodizing stripped, repolish , and keep shiny by using ZOOPS.........or ?????????????

79CamaroMan
03-17-2007, 10:14:23 AM
My dad and family run a metal refinishing chrome shop in Hagerstown , IN. They do great work of course, if it werent so, I would be embarrassed to recomend them. Thats where all my chrome is done, of course I do my parts myself when I visit. Here is their info I found from a google search:

Specializing in Chrome Plating
Welcome to Custom Metal Finishing Indiana LLC.
We are a family owned and operated business.
We perfom the Rechroming on Cars, Boats, Motorcycles, Antiques, and more.
We can plate Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, and yes even Di-cast (Pot-Metal)
Aluminum and Stainless Polishing is also available.
Available in our office is a small display showing some of the parts we have rechromed.
Contact Information
Email :
Chromeplater1@yahoo.com
Phone :
1-866-489-4089
Address :
9705 State Road 38
Hagerstown
IN
U.S.A.

Edit: Also they can get aluminum trim re-anodized for you.

Rick WI
03-17-2007, 12:31:08 PM
That's right Blue, those parts are not chromed. A shop like CamaroMan though can strip and repolish them and maybe anodize them again if they do that process.

It is VERY expensive to have trim restored so don't take it personal when they quote you the cost. You can do it yourself of course but if you truly buff the parts out you need a buffing stand and the buffs plus compounds. After you get the equipment now you have the huge and likely outcome of totally destroying a part when it gets caught in the wheel due to us newbies not knowing the correct positioning of the part or pressure against the wheel. Easy to fubar parts up on the buffing wheel.

My sense is, based on your restoration to date, you are best served by sending the parts out to be stripped, buffed and polished to better than new condition. Bend over, write the check to 79's inheritance fund, and I think you'll be happy with the end result.

Camarofanatic73
03-17-2007, 12:34:27 PM
Sherm's is top notch-

http://www.shermsplating.com/

Keizer
03-17-2007, 01:31:24 PM
Sherm's is top notch-

http://www.shermsplating.com/

Yes they are. And I know that the head light bezels were not originally chrome, but I had Sherms do mine, and they turned out awesome. GM should have done it this way.

You can strip the brite dip coating off your headlight bezels with heavy duty oven cleaner. Then, you can polish them. However, they will be a maintenance nightmare keeping them looking good.

hucks 70
03-17-2007, 01:32:36 PM
whatcha think matt road trip to indy .let me no if your going ,i need some stuff chromed .is st.louis plating still in business .there is also a place in belleville ,but the chrome he does looks like old chrome . looked great on my old norton motorcycle.

BobB
03-17-2007, 01:37:31 PM
Used to be lots of chromers around,EPA ran em all out.

Show7d3
03-17-2007, 05:28:25 PM
Yes they are. And I know that the head light bezels were not originally chrome, but I had Sherms do mine, and they turned out awesome. GM should have done it this way.

You can strip the brite dip coating off your headlight bezels with heavy duty oven cleaner. Then, you can polish them. However, they will be a maintenance nightmare keeping them looking good.

That's what I did. They were a pain to keep polished so I powder coated them with clear.

Keizer
03-17-2007, 08:31:51 PM
Heres a shot of my headlight bezel that was chromed at Sherms custom plating.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3892/pa072581mh6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

79CamaroMan
03-17-2007, 10:52:23 PM
That's right Blue, those parts are not chromed. A shop like CamaroMan though can strip and repolish them and maybe anodize them again if they do that process.

It is VERY expensive to have trim restored so don't take it personal when they quote you the cost. You can do it yourself of course but if you truly buff the parts out you need a buffing stand and the buffs plus compounds. After you get the equipment now you have the huge and likely outcome of totally destroying a part when it gets caught in the wheel due to us newbies not knowing the correct positioning of the part or pressure against the wheel. Easy to fubar parts up on the buffing wheel.

My sense is, based on your restoration to date, you are best served by sending the parts out to be stripped, buffed and polished to better than new condition. Bend over, write the check to 79's inheritance fund, and I think you'll be happy with the end result.

Words of wisdom here. Especially the inheritance part lol :D
When I first started working on "the wheel" 10horse buffing stand, I got an old die cast chevy emblem caught in the wheel and it shot into my chest putting a nice V shape red mark on my abdomen.

On a more serious note, I almost lost a finger copper buffing a front grill oval for a Studebaker. It got caught in the wheel and pulled my right hand with it, pinching my hand between the guard and the part, and pulling hard as the wheel wanted to twist everything around itself. My middle and ring finger got bad sprains, but my pinky was almost completly severed at the 2nd knuckle:o . That sucked. Fortunatly the docs put it back on pretty well and the grill oval was nearly unscathed, and went on to be a beautifully restored piece of someones Studebaker.

so yes, this stuff can be pretty dangerous. Broken and sprained fingers and wrists are relativly common especially when doing custom work rather than production. And trim can be ruined really easy.

BobB
03-18-2007, 04:51:36 PM
79CamaroMan,sent you PM

mnz28
03-18-2007, 06:58:39 PM
I can suggest a place if you want em stripped and want to polish them yourself. I'm not sure if you need do polish em before bright dip, but I'd imagine so.

BLUE72CAMARO
03-19-2007, 11:06:28 AM
Kiezer, what grade of chrome is that from sherms? I noticed they offer 3 different grades.

Randy, I doubt I will be taking a road trip to indy for my chrome, I will probably ship them to who ever I have do the parts for me.

AceZ28_OVERKILL
03-19-2007, 01:43:45 PM
better question is what level of service is that, added with, how long??? and How much did those cost, to get an idea of what we would be in for...

Keizer
03-19-2007, 01:51:10 PM
Kiezer, what grade of chrome is that from sherms? I noticed they offer 3 different grades.

Randy, I doubt I will be taking a road trip to indy for my chrome, I will probably ship them to who ever I have do the parts for me.

Hmmmmm, I don't recall them asking what level of chrome I wanted. You would be hard pressed to find any flaws.

The bezels were $80.00 a piece, and took about six weeks to get back to me. As MuscleCarJohn would say, to chrome aluminum takes a masters hand.

You guys need to do what you feel comfortable with. I had Sherms do my bezels on MuscleCarJohn's recommendation, and I couldn't be happier.

CamarosRus
03-19-2007, 02:16:36 PM
Regarding CHROME Plating............stay away from the THE BUMPER SHOP in L.A. Calif.......You'll get screwed, I did !!!!!!!!!!
Also had bad experience with MARANTHA's in Puyallap, WA

CamarosRus
10-09-2010, 06:26:53 PM
Asking for contact info, pricing and positive comments from those having knowledge of vendors doing polish and BRITE DIP anodizing.

I'd like to have more comments on SHERMS's regarding what quality you pay for and received.......

Thanks,

Keizer
10-09-2010, 06:52:17 PM
I'd like to have more comments on SHERMS's regarding what quality you pay for and received.......

Thanks,

Chuck, you have seen my 73, and the head light bezels were done by Sherms at least three years ago. They look as good as the day I put them on. But, they have only seen occasional fair weather driving. I certainly don't have any gripes about them.

CamarosRus
10-09-2010, 06:56:04 PM
Doug, Their current web site shows three quality of chrome work. Be interesting to know which quality you got on your bumpers ?

Do you recall what you paid for the bumper chrome/straightening/polishing

Who turned you onto SHERM's ???

Thanks

Keizer
10-09-2010, 07:17:37 PM
Doug, Their current web site shows three quality of chrome work. Be interesting to know which quality you got on your bumpers ?

Do you recall what you paid for the bumper chrome/straightening/polishing

Who turned you onto SHERM's ???

Thanks

MuscleCarJohn, another member here recommended Sherms. I actually had the front bumper and guards chromed through the body shop that painted my car. They have a guy that comes by there and grabs all the stuff they need chromed. I would need to find the name of the place though. It was up north closer to you. They did a fine job as well.

My rear bumper is an after market piece and came chromed already. It isn't perfect, and doesn't look as nice as the front bumper and head light bezels.

Also 79CamaroMan (look earlier in this thread) does chroming. He did my side glass aluminum drip rails. I'm happy with them as well. He sold me the drip rails, and chromed them for me before he shipped them to me. His family owns the chroming business where he works.

77nomad
10-09-2010, 08:53:48 PM
I don't know CamaroMan personally but were from the same town in Michigan and both grew up buffing and polishing so we know alot of the same people. After a few chats with him I can say he knows his stuff and does quality work. This is from a guy with 15 yrs on a wheel. My dad has 40, so I know good work when I see it.