View Full Version : Who Sells POR-15???????

71 Camaro
03-13-2007, 11:54:04 PM
Don't tell me.....mail order only?

Nobody I know has even heard of this stuff. I'm about ready to just buy some Rustoleum or something from Tractor Supply.

68400BIRD
03-14-2007, 12:13:08 AM
Call some of your local body shop suppliers. I bought mine from Welle auto in Minnesota and at the state fair. I also have bought mine on line and it was delivered pretty quick.

rgearhead
03-14-2007, 12:28:54 AM
i got mine threw ups shiping today direct from por15 took just 3 days...........

1974Z28
03-14-2007, 12:42:56 AM
Call their 800 number they will be happy to tell you the nearest distributor.

silver78
03-14-2007, 08:05:01 AM
I buy mine online. It usually takes only 2 days.

BobB
03-14-2007, 09:33:37 AM
i got mine threw ups shiping today direct from por15 took just 3 days...........

Same here.

BLUE72CAMARO
03-14-2007, 10:35:25 AM
I have always bought mine online, but several body shop supply places around have it but they jack the price way up on it.

bobpon
03-14-2007, 09:23:21 PM
i got mine at a local car show - swap meet...just a side note...i made the mistake of painting my frame with a short sleve shirt on...this stuff does not come off skin easy.

Cardinal
03-14-2007, 09:28:37 PM
They'll have a booth at Carlisle if you can wait that long. BTW, it's great stuff at any price. The only other products that I use in their place is Extend by Loctite or Rust Reformer by Rustolium.

71 Camaro
03-15-2007, 12:21:09 AM
Thanks. I'll have to see if I can find a local supplier.

I'm not big on ordering paint. What if you are all set up and ready to paint, but find you are a little short........I'd like to be able to run somewhere close and pick some up.

BonzoHansen
03-15-2007, 11:21:54 AM
I've had great luck with these people, and they give us a 5% discount.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4345

POR goes a long way, you don't need gallons. My recommendation is by the 6-packs of 4oz cans.

71 Camaro
03-16-2007, 02:23:52 AM
I've had great luck with these people, and they give us a 5% discount.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4345

POR goes a long way, you don't need gallons. My recommendation is by the 6-packs of 4oz cans.

Sounds like the way to go Bonzo.

Do I need both Marine-Clean and Metal-Ready? How much? I'm just wanting to do the underneath of the car, including rear end, springs, driveshaft I guess might as well POR everything, right? I got to do something, it is all red like blood, but not really scaley.

One other thing, do I need a special thinner for spraying? Seems like this is adding up fast. Real tempted to just go buy a gallon of black oil paint.

protour73
03-16-2007, 08:55:15 AM
Don't spray POR-15 withoout a real good respirator!!!!! very toxic... do a real good job prepping before you paint, or it will all come off, or even worse....cause rust, where there wasn't any before!!!!!

READ................ http://www.por15.com/?gclid=CJ_oiPSd-YoCFRgJSQodKi8qkQ

and you can't use oil paint on a car!!!!!:rolleyes:

MAP79Z28
03-16-2007, 01:56:57 PM
OK time for me to chime in here. First of all, I think that POR products perform great. Are they the best out there? dont know. But I do know that once you put it on correctly, it'll never rust anymore - well at least not in your lifetime. Now having said that, they are expensive. No, you dont need the Marine Clean. Industrial-type degreasers, such as Purple Passion, work just as well, and can be as cheap as $2.99 a gallon. The metal ready? I've found that Rust Mort is a good substitute. The metal ready IS better, but just a little bit better, but I am not sure that it justifies the additional cost. Be sure to follow the directions for any of these products and do rinse off each step as they say. One other point, it is extremely important to remove all traces of moisture before you apply POR. I have retorted to heating the surface initally with a propane torch and then following it with a heat stripper gun before applying the POR. You dont want it red hot, or even hot when apply the POR, but you do want to remove any excess moisture from the surface. There is one POR location, I believe in Valpraisio, Ind, that will give you free shipping if your order is $50, or $100, I dont know which. I also buy the quart size cans, stir them well and dispense into clean, dry baby food jars. If you dont understand why I do that, you will.

Eaglefixer
03-16-2007, 02:17:13 PM
and make sure you wear gloves or you'll never get it off. It has to wear off.

mcrrt
03-16-2007, 02:46:02 PM
I just saw that the Por products are for sale in the NPD catalog.

71 Camaro
03-17-2007, 01:41:42 AM
OK time for me to chime in here. First of all, I think that POR products perform great. Are they the best out there? dont know. But I do know that once you put it on correctly, it'll never rust anymore - well at least not in your lifetime. Now having said that, they are expensive. No, you dont need the Marine Clean. Industrial-type degreasers, such as Purple Passion, work just as well, and can be as cheap as $2.99 a gallon. The metal ready? I've found that Rust Mort is a good substitute. The metal ready IS better, but just a little bit better, but I am not sure that it justifies the additional cost. Be sure to follow the directions for any of these products and do rinse off each step as they say. One other point, it is extremely important to remove all traces of moisture before you apply POR. I have retorted to heating the surface initally with a propane torch and then following it with a heat stripper gun before applying the POR. You dont want it red hot, or even hot when apply the POR, but you do want to remove any excess moisture from the surface. There is one POR location, I believe in Valpraisio, Ind, that will give you free shipping if your order is $50, or $100, I dont know which. I also buy the quart size cans, stir them well and dispense into clean, dry baby food jars. If you dont understand why I do that, you will.

Thanks, lots of good info! I live pretty close to Valparaiso too! Do you happen to have the name of the place that stocks it? That would be great if I could just drive over there and get what I need. The weekend is almost here.

:happy:

71 Camaro
03-17-2007, 01:52:05 AM
Don't spray POR-15 withoout a real good respirator!!!!! very toxic... do a real good job prepping before you paint, or it will all come off, or even worse....cause rust, where there wasn't any before!!!!!

READ................ http://www.por15.com/?gclid=CJ_oiPSd-YoCFRgJSQodKi8qkQ

and you can't use oil paint on a car!!!!!:rolleyes:

I thought all paints that weren't water soluble eg: latex house paint, were oil based. I know some new automotive paints are water based, but most of us are still using oil, yes? Even POR-15 is likely oil based, isn't it? How do you clean out your gun any way?