View Full Version : Are all radiator hose brands equal?

1974TypeLT
01-05-2005, 07:53:00 PM
I have my choice between Kelly-Springfield @ the low end, Gates & Dayco in the middle @ Goodyear @ the high end. Any advice?

TRQJNKY
01-05-2005, 08:34:00 PM
there is if you read riceburners weakly, not if you read hot rod. i worked at oriellys auto parts for over a year, never had a problem with store brand hoses. sold omre of them than gates, never had problems with gates hoses either. name brand is just a piece of mind mostly. some will say that the rubber on high priced hoses is better that that of lesser priced, but feel em' theyre the same.

Joekool
01-06-2005, 01:59:00 AM
I will have to disagree here, the rubber is not the only thing that the hose is made from, there is a mesh/net of nylon or some other material between the layers of rubber. If this nylon is thinner or less is used then the hose will tend to develope bad spots faster and it will not be as strong, which means product life can and usually will be shorter. As long as the hose doesnt have made in mexico/ hecho en mexico or made in "some other forgien land" stamped on it then you should be OK.

night rider
01-06-2005, 03:52:00 AM
Don't know if theres in diff in the two, but Kelly-Springfield and good year is the same company

Goodyear makes kelly tires, belts, hoses, etc

Goat
01-06-2005, 07:33:00 AM
<font face="Arial,Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by night rider:
Don't know if theres in diff in the two, but Kelly-Springfield and good year is the same company

Goodyear makes kelly tires, belts, hoses, etc </font>

That may be true, but it doesn't neccesarily mean that the rubber being used in those products are of equal quality. There is a wide range of rubber compounding variables that go into making an elastomer (rubber) product. There is a reason why some hoses cost $20.00 and others half as much. Same thing goes for tires, belts, and even windshield wipers.

It's all according to an individuals needs. You may not need a radiator hose that lasts 10 years as opposed to 3 or 4. To me, buying the better quality is just added insurance it won't leave me on the side of the road.

Gary S
01-06-2005, 10:03:00 AM
Last time I checked, Goodyear still gave a liftime warranty on their hoses and belts, and they seem to last accordingly. I haven't had any of the Goodyear or GM factory hoses turn soft like balloons yet, and many of the other brands seem to do that when they get old.

1974TypeLT
01-09-2005, 08:59:00 PM
Had I known, I would have sought out Goodyears. I know the blue Hi-Milers have a lifetime warranty, but not the conventional black hoses.

pdq67
01-09-2005, 11:56:00 PM
Glad this came up b/c I just bought a 4' piece each of 5/8" and 3/4" heater hose today!!

The young guy said, "WOW", the 3/4" is high priced and I didn't pay him much mind until he wanted almost $16 for it vs the regular priced 5/8" hose at about 84 cents a foot!!

Needless ta say, I got another piece of the cheap old-fashioned kind, and my money back!!

I figure the high priced 3/4" heater hose is actually, 125 psi rated industrial water/steam hose b/c it felt just like what we used to install refractories with when we gunnited.. Tough, stiff high pressure water hose to the nozzle's water-body sorta hose!!

GHREAT heater hose IF you want to pay that much for it??

pdq67

mjoc
01-10-2005, 06:39:00 PM
the best radiator hoses are the copper flex hoses that are either chrome or anodized. THe look cool as hell too...

Joekool
01-10-2005, 07:53:00 PM
Never use chrome or coated metal hoses, they actually hold heat in and can make the engine run hotter. I laugh at people who install those lame steel braided hose covers, they act like blankets for your hoses. You be surprised at how much heat is disipated by the hoses.

Goat
01-11-2005, 07:39:00 AM
<font face="Arial,Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Joekool:
Never use chrome or coated metal hoses, they actually hold heat in and can make the engine run hotter. I laugh at people who install those lame steel braided hose covers, they act like blankets for your hoses. You be surprised at how much heat is disipated by the hoses.</font>

Why would you laugh? Maybe they're just misinformed.

1974TypeLT
01-12-2005, 08:22:00 PM
A co-worker claims that Gates, radiator hoses also have a lifetime warranty, although I thought O'Reilly's said it was but 1 yr.