View Full Version : Opinion/comments about L7 out the Z06 in a 2nd Gen?

tazzz2
11-25-2006, 09:43:37 AM
Hi gang, I'm doing a winter resto-mod 72 project and am second guessing the final engine choice (been all over the map on engine choice so far and still split on the decission)

I was currious if anyone has put a LS7 motor out of the new ZO6 vette in a second Gen car?????? If so how did the reto-fit go and are you happy with the swap out????? I'm currently running the original plain jane stock motor & block with a TKO 600 Tremec with a Lakewod scatter sheild in the car and would hope to re-utilize the scatter sheild to mate that to the LZ7 if possible?

Any thoughts or comments would appreciated as I'm split at this point on doing a LS7 swap or having an Aluminum block custom built 572 stroker pump gas motor built (appreciating that the BB would require updating the scatter sheild for a 572). The biggest problem I see is feeding the 572 (carb motor) under a 2" cowl for clearance......I really don't want to have more than a 2" hood on the car.
Thanks,
Al

schitzo
11-25-2006, 04:34:36 PM
ask the question over at Ls1tech.com as well . there are a few guys who have put LS7s in earlier cars. The only different thing from an ls1 swap is accomodating the dry sump oiling system and plumbing it.

I guess it boils down to what you want when done and. Both are potent engines and involve different custom work to get them running right.

BonzoHansen
11-25-2006, 04:46:09 PM
The only different thing from an ls1 swap is accomodating the dry sump oiling system and plumbing it.Don't forget the $$$$$ :) What is list on a crate LS7, almost $14k?

tazzz2
11-25-2006, 06:29:20 PM
Thanks Schitzo, I'll check it out over there too....
LOL Bonzo, your right the LS7 was quoted to me as $14,500CDN and it's the cheaper option so far LOL....

Seriously though, I like the thought of an old school big block cubic inches and a stroker in the car but have concerns about re-sale when I'm ready to part with the car.....Will the Aluminum 572 scare people off???? I've budgeted 17,000CDN for the motor purchase so I'm good either way....just wanted to canvass the board to see what motor would be most appealing to other 2nd Gen car owners......At this point, I'd assume the aluminum 572 would be the more unique setup as I haven't hear of anyone doing that combo in a sec gen resto mod car so far (not that I'm any kind of expert on this) and would be very interesting in the torque to weight ratios I'd imagine.....

schitzo
11-25-2006, 06:48:11 PM
Don't forget the $$$$$ :) What is list on a crate LS7, almost $14k?

I didn't. he is debating between a LS7 and 572...obviously cost must not be much of a factor.

as for which one would be more appealing for resale, I think a 2nd gen with a 572 would have better luck selling than one with a LS7. i.e at the moment....but might be different in the future.

also, the 572 has more power and involves less electrical work if you go carb.

tazzz2
11-25-2006, 08:10:19 PM
Thanks Schitzo, I'd agree with the interest in BB cars recently as well.....mind you the car handles so sweet with a small block setup.

I think it'd be a carb motor, however, we (my builder & I) have discussed an injected motor too. He did however cautioned me in saying all it takes is a $30 sensor to fail and there goes a big dollar motor in the case of the injected route. Hood clearence is also a big question mark on the 572 with a 2" cowl.....guess time will tell what the final choice is as I'm more partial to the aluminum 572 idea as it stands.

Anyone else care to toss in their thoughts on this one too?

duece-bigalo01
11-27-2006, 10:15:52 PM
I would have to say go with the LS7. it is kinda a no brainer. big block torque and small block weight, revability, and economy. If you intend to keep the LS7 stock then I'm going to say a $30 sensor wont kill that motor. If you dont want to rely on sensors to prevent the motor from being destroyed run guages and keep an eye on them. I'm thinking here LS7 is going to be best bet but its not my money.:)

tazzz2
11-27-2006, 11:07:55 PM
Duece......hear ya on the small block with big torque and the known factor on the LS7 motor are powerful reasons for it being consider between it and the 572...... Thanks for your imput.

Aceshigh
11-28-2006, 03:57:30 AM
This is a dream decision here.....hmmmm

572 vs LS7. Tough call. :)
Starting from scratch.....depends on what my purpose for the car was.
Daily driver , would go LS7 all day long.
Weekend strip toy, 572 all day long.

When you start looking at the 572 you have to seriously consider a pretty damn strong tranny to withstand the torque without blowing it up I'd think.

IIRC the LS7 gets only 13mpg in the city in the Z06.
Which is 3200lbs and change.
Throwing it in a 2nd gen probably decreases it a bit more.
If it was me looking for an LS7 , I'd be on Ebay buying from a reputable reseller.
Buying new is just too damn much money IMHO.

tazzz2
11-28-2006, 11:54:00 AM
Thanks for the imput Aces....I plan to use the car as a daily driver in the summer months and the 572 motor would be built to run on pump gas if built. The tranny in the car is a Tremec TKO 600 and I was told by Keisler industries that it should be plenty good in either application. I'm not much of a drag strip person, so I'm building more of general use/road course kinda car (very limited exposure there as well...A couple of charity fund raising days up at Mosport and thinking of maybe doing the Hotrod Power Tour ) . The rear end gear is a 342 I believe,,, and the car currently has a stock small block (original #'s motor thats coming out and being put away) that currently rev's 2,000rpm at 70mph in 5th. With the current gearing I think mpg should be fairly ok for doing things like the power tour, but heck you know it'll never be that great with either choice I'd assume.

Aceshigh
11-28-2006, 05:57:51 PM
The rear end gear is a 342 I believe,,, and the car currently has a stock small block (original #'s motor thats coming out and being put away) that currently rev's 2,000rpm at 70mph in 5th. With the current gearing I think mpg should be fairly ok for doing things like the power tour, but heck you know it'll never be that great with either choice I'd assume.

If that is an all original differential 10 bolt 3.42 I think the 572 would murder it. ;)
That's what I was told anyways. Even with my LS1 gettin NOS, or a SC later on I have to upgrade mine I was told and that is STILL less than the torque range of the milder 572.

That would be one of my concerns if I was going to dump $14K on a motor, I'd spend the extra $2,000 on a new Strange Engineering 12 bolt axle with disc brakes. :)

protour73
11-28-2006, 10:50:29 PM
If that is an all original differential 10 bolt 3.42 I think the 572 would murder it. ;)
That's what I was told anyways. Even with my LS1 gettin NOS, or a SC later on I have to upgrade mine I was told and that is STILL less than the torque range of the milder 572.

That would be one of my concerns if I was going to dump $14K on a motor, I'd spend the extra $2,000 on a new Strange Engineering 12 bolt axle with disc brakes. :)

More like $2800 and change + shipping if outside IL, homeslice

Aceshigh
11-29-2006, 12:59:01 AM
More like $2800 and change + shipping if outside IL, homeslice

Ewwww.....gag.....that's a rape and a half. :eek:

Maybe I won't be buying a Strange Eng one then.
Have to price them out because this is next years tax return purchase. :D

29od1
11-29-2006, 08:50:19 AM
I'd go the LS7 route. If you have the money and patience it takes to setup an LSx engine, there's no other way to go. But in the cost build up of the LS7 engine, you have to think about fuel pump/tank options, dry/wet sump oil pan, accessories A/C, P/S, alt, electric water pump, headers, etc. Then you have wiring harness, ECM and tune if you don't buy a turnkey motor. It all adds up but, reliability, throttle response and drivability will be a lot better plus you're saving a LOT of weight that you could equate to HP. A stock LS7 with just a more aggressive tune can easily put out 550 HP.

Without a doubt, carb motor is much less work and planning, but an LS7 is just bad a$$! Plus your resale value on your car will be $10k more with a properly setup LS7 engine versus a 572. Thats with the same amount of cash invested in both motors.

Any way you go, good luck with your decision!

This was from a LS1Tech, New School vs Old Skool.2623

tazzz2
11-29-2006, 08:03:12 PM
The rear end selection will be addressed upon making the engine choice and your most likely 99.999% right about either motor guys...

"29od1"
Lmao great graphic.....The motor (LS7) would be brand new from a friend that owns a GM dealership and a complete/full setup. The tank,pump,dry sump, AC, etc are issues for both motors equally to me as they would likely be used in the custom build Aluminum 572 (block/heads/acc) and required in LS7...Wiring on the car is being completely re-done in either case...just don't trust 35 year old harnesses etc (Murphy's law)

What I find the most interesting is that you feel the LS7 would add 10k to potiental resale in the end......Honestly I thought it would be the reverse.....Guess thats just a case of looking at things through 47 year old school eyes....Your imput and comments are really appreciated as this is the exact sort of reason I posted this thread....I'd appreciate as much feedback from the board on the resale/desirability/ and impact of the engine choice as possible.
Thanks again...

Aceshigh
11-30-2006, 01:44:53 AM
What I find the most interesting is that you feel the LS7 would add 10k to potiental resale in the end......Honestly I thought it would be the reverse.....

It WILL add value.....depending on the condition of your car.
However IMHO $10,000 is honestly a bit far fetched to me.

Schitzo just put an LS1 into his car and sold it and he can tell ya what kind of price it commanded. ;)

29od1
11-30-2006, 08:36:34 AM
I think if you had an original BB car with motor/trans that came with the car, it would be worth more than making an LS7 out of it. But, currently, there aren't a lot of LS7 engines in Camaros right now. The engine's not that old and a lot of people would pay a lot for the chance to say they have a Z06 vette engine in an old Camaro. jmo. Everyone is going to see it differently.

I just felt that if both engines are options, and you're willing to take on the learning curve, you might as well take advantage of technology.

tazzz2
11-30-2006, 08:06:05 PM
Aces your right 10k-5k I guess it'd be subjective to who's looking at it for sure..As far as condition goes, the car will have a complete frame off restoration by spring with show quality prep and finish with one noteable exception,,,Im not dealing with the firewall back (underside) with factory paint markings on axles etc.....The whole under carriage will be stripped properly and finished in black chassis paint,,,,so no little yellow markings on the axles ect.

29od1.....Your point is well made...new technologies are great!!!! absolutly no doubt!!!

As far as the learning curve goes, sorry guys I'm not that mechanically inclined and I'm having this car restored by a pro. Hell we would not want to read on the board about some crazy ass Canuck that forgot to tighten some bolt and tookout a granny and her grand-kids by doing something thats over his head lol (gotta be able to take a poke at yourself in good jist right ;-)