View Full Version : carb rebuild kits

kyle_pc_75
11-04-2006, 02:59:49 PM
I want to rebuild and properly tune my '80 Qjet this winter for the fun of it. Where to get a good rebuild/tune kit? It's going on a mostly stock '83 350truck motor with Vortec heads and Performer Intake. It tends to run rich and occasionally bogs down when I stomp it, which I'm sure is at least partially due to my living at 6500 feet (thin air). I've read through all of the great posts and carb tuning guides to be found around here, any additional tips? In the meantime, I'm going to get a replacement '80 QJet from Checker, as this one runs pretty well.

Thanks

craigblock
11-04-2006, 03:15:48 PM
I got my rebuild kit from NAPA. It didn't come with the diaphragm for the secondary air valve though, so I had to buy one from Carbs Unlimited.

I don't recommend playing with any of the butterfly valves found on the carb, as in, don't take them off. If you have a worn throttle shaft, find a baseplate from a donor carb that isn't worn out.

I read on Chevytalk that putting in brass bushings to fix a leaky throttle shaft is not a good idea. He said the best idea is to use Teflon strips.

Gary S
11-04-2006, 04:08:02 PM
I agree about the NAPA carb kits. I've used them, and I like them.

I don't know what the people on Chevytalk might have against putting brass bushings on the throttle shafts. I've personally done a number of carbs including my daily driver pickup. It totally solves the air leak problems permanently. The later 70s and early 80s quadrajets had a small bearing surface for the throttle shaft, and since it is aluminum, they wear out really fast. 60s and early 70s quadrajets have a wide bearing surface that lasted much longer. Drilling them out and putting brass bushings solves the air leak problem permanently because the brass is hard enough that you will never wear it out, yet it is softer than the steel shaft so the shaft doesn't wear out either.

camertom
11-04-2006, 04:10:44 PM
The primary throttle shafts seem to be the main issue. I rebush all mine with brass. Perhaps teflons better but I've never seen a parts kit with it up here. Just the primaries need it. Finding a good old baseplate is possible but rare these days. I've had about 4 good wreckers carbs and pieces from 6-8 others. Have a few downstairs now. I could move the throttle shaft on all of em so I just rebush them...with brass. Its a 60 buck kit and you can do 2 carbs on the primaries. All mine seem to run great and I've built a couple for friends that worked fine as well. It solves lots of issues with Rochesters.

There are two plugs at the bottom of the carb body that could be epoxied as well. I've only had 1 that leaked and it was minor.

The kits don't have jets or hangers with but are otherwise great. I'd get Delco's own. They are still readily availble though in your area I wouldn't know where. You can run the carbs PN at the Carb Shop website ( I think ) and it'll tell you if its also a "high altitude version". They did make them and put them on vehicles and I've come accross them myself. They are jetted and rodded differently.

Good luck with it.