View Full Version : vortec engine

eliotz28
06-12-2006, 10:06:55 PM
i recently got a 1979 z28 and im in the planning stage of building the engine i planning on using vortec heads froom scogin dickey a comp 274xe cam performer rpm intake holley 750 carb a 350 short block .040 over with 4cc valve relifs and hypertunic pistons i need to know what kind of power this will make. i ran it throught desktop dyno and it said 383 hp and 400 lb ft of tourque also i need to know how well this will run on pump gas ibelive the compression will be around 10.50 this engine will be for a daily drivin street car any input is apreciated much thanks i aplogize for my typing my right arm and hand are broken

hardline_42
06-13-2006, 10:17:49 AM
i recently got a 1979 z28 and im in the planning stage of building the engine i planning on using vortec heads froom scogin dickey a comp 274xe cam performer rpm intake holley 750 carb a 350 short block .040 over with 4cc valve relifs and hypertunic pistons i need to know what kind of power this will make. i ran it throught desktop dyno and it said 383 hp and 400 lb ft of tourque also i need to know how well this will run on pump gas ibelive the compression will be around 10.50 this engine will be for a daily drivin street car any input is apreciated much thanks i aplogize for my typing my right arm and hand are broken
Welcome to the forum Eliot! I'm sure you'll find plenty of info here. I won't ask how you broke your right arm and hand, but your typing is fine (although I think you mean "hypereutectic" pistons. A "hypertunic" sounds like a really fast ancient garment :D ) Not sure about the accuracy of the DD but, my first impression is that your carb might be a little big for your application. The 10.5:1 CR shouldn't be a problem on pump gas as long as you have a decent quench height. I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

flyguy
06-14-2006, 02:00:02 AM
Eliot,
You may do even a little better than that, even with a 357 or whatever .040 over makes. Check this article:
http://carcraft.com/techarticles/81998/index1.html
Actually that is what I am building pretty much right now. Just have to stick the manifold and heads on. Am using Dart stock replacement heads just to be different, but the results should be similar.
DC

eliotz28
06-14-2006, 01:31:26 PM
tell me how it works out