View Full Version : Gauge cluster

Mousehouse
02-19-2004, 03:08:00 PM
I just finished my tach and gauge install. The only problem I have is that the back lighting and turn signals don't work now.

How does the wiring schematic thing on the back of the gauge cluster work? Is it a positive and negative thing or is everything linked together? When I installed the tach I had to remove 2 of the bulbs/retainers. I figure that is why it isn't wanting to work properly.

I am thinking about making my own wiring harness to operate the turn signals and back lighting. Has anyone done this and spliced into the factory harness?

You can look in the interior section of my web site to see what I am talking about.

Suggestions???????

RS_SS350
02-19-2004, 05:05:00 PM
did you follow the directions for swapping wires in the harness on this page: http://www.nastyz28.com/2gcog/tech/u14swap.html

ajpatterson
02-19-2004, 10:21:00 PM
The turn signals don't work at all or the indicator don't work?? Two completly different circuits so it makes a differece. The backlighting lights are all in parallel, that means the others will still work even if some are removed or burned out. The blinkers share the ground side of a circuit with backlights. Since neither of them work I am guessing that is most likely your problem. When you installed tach yhou said you had to take out two lights, but on the back of the cluster behing the tach there are three studes that stick out and have nuts on them, these nuts hold the circuit board to the large metal plate behind the tach, this is you common ground for just about everything back there, I am guessing that you either didn't hook one up or it is dirty underneath and not making good contact, or maybe in the process one of the runs on the circuit got broke, look at the back close and follow the lines around, look for any breaks, if it has any I can tell you how to repair pretty easy.

Mousehouse
02-20-2004, 12:00:00 AM
The main plug wasn't in all of the way and the headlight switch was messed up. I got that fixed and the backlighting works and so does the blinkers. But the blinkers both come on at the same time.

I forgot all about those grounds. I will bolt the circuit board down with those three nuts. That explains why the blinkers are working at the same time.

Thanks for your help RS_SS350 & ajpatterson.