View Full Version : new jersey QQ plate question

zeek
01-20-2006, 10:49:32 PM
im looking at getting this 81 mustang 4banger to use as a daily driver if i were to register it as a classic and get the QQ plates so that i dont have to have it emissions tested how hard is it gona be for me to get insurance on it sense it will be my only car and basicly my daily driver ?

April81Z28
01-21-2006, 07:21:03 PM
If you are registering it as a classic, you can't use it as a daily driver. If you are looking for collector car coverage, they require you to send the declarations page of your daily driver insurance policy and I also had to send pictures of the garage where it was going to be kept. Check the MVA laws on your state, but usually classic or antique plates restrict what kind of driving you can do with the car and how many miles you can put on it in a year.

BonzoHansen
01-21-2006, 07:26:07 PM
Most collector car insurance also has restrictions, although you may not need QQ plates to get it.

Check the http://www.nj.gov/mvc/ site for info.

zeek
01-21-2006, 08:32:48 PM
dont really want collector car insurance or any of that kinds stuff just trying to figure away to put a big block in a 4banger with out having to deal with inspections sense i doubt it would pass

njblue81z28
01-21-2006, 08:56:57 PM
I"m insured with NJ Manufacturers. Regular registration - $400 a year with minimal insurance coverage (high deductable, etc.) Drive approx. 2,000 miles a year.

April81Z28
01-22-2006, 12:36:35 PM
Based on the info on the NJ Motor Vehicles website, I don't think you'd qualify for QQ plates.

This is from the website -
"Any motor vehicle at least 25 years old, owned as a collector's item and only used for exhibition and educational purposes by the owner qualify for this plate. Two (2) color photographs of the vehicle must be included with your application for historic vehicle registration."

Since you will be using this as your daily driver, it wouldn't qualify. And if you tried it, be prepared to be pulled over...

WildBillyT
01-22-2006, 12:57:10 PM
As April said, QQ plates are not for you.

If you get collector's insurance you can register for collector's status, which gives you some decent freedom. Inspection is nothing more than proving the odometer works, and you get a triangular inspection sticker.

BonzoHansen
01-23-2006, 11:28:33 AM
I didn't get any sticker with my QQ plates.

hardline_42
01-23-2006, 03:15:51 PM
im looking at getting this 81 mustang 4banger to use as a daily driver if i were to register it as a classic and get the QQ plates so that i dont have to have it emissions tested how hard is it gona be for me to get insurance on it sense it will be my only car and basicly my daily driver ?
I'm actually registering my '81 Camaro next month. Since I'm swapping the 229 out for a 400 and getting rid of the computer and cats and any other horsepower robbers, I wanted to get it registered as a Collector Vehicle. QQ plates only work if you are only taking it to shows, etc. Collector Vehicles you can drive up to 3k miles a year (I believe) and you are exempt from inspection. I called the DMV and I was told that you don't "need" collector car insurance to register it as a collector. Since I already have NJCURE (el cheapo) insurance, I have no problem keeping the insurance and just changing the registration.

zeek
01-23-2006, 07:28:04 PM
I'm actually registering my '81 Camaro next month. Since I'm swapping the 229 out for a 400 and getting rid of the computer and cats and any other horsepower robbers, I wanted to get it registered as a Collector Vehicle. QQ plates only work if you are only taking it to shows, etc. Collector Vehicles you can drive up to 3k miles a year (I believe) and you are exempt from inspection. I called the DMV and I was told that you don't "need" collector car insurance to register it as a collector. Since I already have NJCURE (el cheapo) insurance, I have no problem keeping the insurance and just changing the registration.

would i be able to do that even sense it would be my daily driver ? not like i have to worry about driving more then 3k a year iv owned my trans am for 4 years and iv only put 5k miles on it i think i eather drive my dads truck to much or ride my motorcycle a bit to much

BonzoHansen
01-23-2006, 10:12:10 PM
Since I already have NJCURE (el cheapo) insurance, I have no problem keeping the insurance and just changing the registration.
Just realize that they will pay you about $30 when it gets wrecked. If you even have comp & collision on it. Different collector car insurance has different rates. Check a few out.

With QQ plates, there are driving restrictions. You can't use it on your everyday car.

hardline_42
01-24-2006, 10:17:32 AM
Just realize that they will pay you about $30 when it gets wrecked. If you even have comp & collision on it. Different collector car insurance has different rates. Check a few out.

With QQ plates, there are driving restrictions. You can't use it on your everyday car.
I know what you mean, it's just such a hassle to shop for insurance again. And since my car isn't "finished" I doubt a collector car insurance would agree on a value much higher than $30. What's your experience with those types of insurance companies? Any suggestions? (sorry to hijack the thread!)

BonzoHansen
01-24-2006, 12:52:41 PM
You just have to call & ask them. They will insure a project, but (at least hagerty) wanted a timeline for completion, etc. A plan. And they told me 3 years as max they would go. I still have to revisit that because my 67 in not insured correctly (not on road)

hardline_42
01-24-2006, 03:49:57 PM
You just have to call & ask them. They will insure a project, but (at least hagerty) wanted a timeline for completion, etc. A plan. And they told me 3 years as max they would go. I still have to revisit that because my 67 in not insured correctly (not on road)
Well I just got a quote from Hagerty for $297 a year. Not too shabby and it was all done online. They ask pretty in depth questions about the vehicle and what mods you have done or are planning but it's all fairly simple to get through. They also ask you what type of driving you will be doing (Shows/Clubs, Pleasure, etc.) and how many miles a year of each you think you will be doing. I think I'm gonna go for it! Now I can spend more $$ on the car instead of insuring it!