View Full Version : Will TH350 still work with broken bell housing bolt hole?

jayfire
07-16-2012, 11:59:34 AM
I pulled the 305 out of my 76 parts car and noticed that one of the top bell housing bolt holes is completely gone. Like someone forgot a bolt when they pulled the original motor and tore a chunk out of it. Will it still work if one bolt is not there? Thanks

Twisted_Metal
07-16-2012, 12:48:18 PM
Behind a 305.... It would probably survive forever without further damage.

If the transmission is getting bolted to something more stout and you plan on some hard launches with sticky tires..... I wouldn't take the chance.

IMO... Have it repaired by someone who can MIG/drill a new mounting point while it is out of the car.

351maverick
07-16-2012, 12:49:28 PM
I'd run it as-is

black_aerocoupe
07-17-2012, 12:02:48 AM
If you're going to skip fixing it run new bolts with lock washers and use your torque wrench. Ones that back out ruin converters and pumps.

muscl car
07-17-2012, 12:37:39 AM
stock yes but anything over that i would mill /cut the bell housing off and install an ultra bell bell hsg

JW transmissions ultra bell safety bell hsg for turbo 350 ..

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/564/564-92452.jpg

muscl car
07-17-2012, 12:48:49 AM
Behind a 305.... It would probably survive forever without further damage.

If the transmission is getting bolted to something more stout and you plan on some hard launches with sticky tires..... I wouldn't take the chance.

IMO... Have it repaired by someone who can MIG/drill a new mounting point while it is out of the car.

$300 for an jw transmissions ultra bell safety bell hsg would be better alternative

joeEZ
07-20-2012, 08:49:44 AM
Under 400 hp, I would run it as is. As long as the dowels are in the block and the dowel holes in the transmission are not broken. Those are what keeps everything lined up. Get new bolts and lock washers as was mentioned above.

But if you're going for a drag race thing, you'll need to work that transmission anyway.

If you had the piece, it'd be different.

Twisted_Metal
07-20-2012, 10:58:41 AM
$300 for an jw transmissions ultra bell safety bell hsg would be better alternative

Unless you have the tools to make a neat chop of the old bell housing... Someone needs to get paid for that work on top of the cost of the ultra bell.

Budget and intended use are the big factors in the final decision.

muscl car
07-20-2012, 01:18:33 PM
Unless you have the tools to make a neat chop of the old bell housing... Someone needs to get paid for that work on top of the cost of the ultra bell.

Budget and intended use are the big factors in the final decision.

sawzall,grinder with cut off wheels and a a couple of the sanding cartridge rolls is all you need . you don't need a machine shop to do this .the instructions give you a template so you know exactly were to cut . quite a few members here have installed ultra bells themselves

CorkyE
07-20-2012, 01:31:01 PM
sawzall,grinder with cut off wheels and a a couple of the sanding cartridge rolls is all you need . you don't need a machine shop to do this .the instructions give you a template so you know exactly were to cut . quite a few members here have installed ultra bells themselves

Me thinks that a bit over kill for intended application... :D