View Full Version : which drag shocks to get?

2x4
01-21-2002, 08:51:00 PM
are the competition engineering 3-ways any good? are all the 3-way shocks basically the same?
i have the comps for the front already, and i'm basically looking for rears (without spending major cash http://www.nastyz28.com/ubb/biggrin.gif )

Maliboost
01-21-2002, 10:21:00 PM
FWIW, I have a set of the CE Drag shocks & am not that impressed with them. Mind you I am not tearing up the track, but the wore out Monroes that I have work just as well. The thing is that the car does not hop or jump, so they work, BUT, There is no way to tell what setting you have them in. you push them all the way in & turn them until they click. Yea that works until you forget how many times you did the left one & now you are on the right side.

I suppose that if I was making real HP, they would make a difference.

BW

Marv D
01-21-2002, 11:32:00 PM
There are a lot of good shocks out there,, but I prefer Koni. They've always worked for me. I'd like to try a set of double adjustable Hals some day,,, heard lots of good comments about them.

73Beater
01-22-2002, 03:51:00 AM
My opinion on fronts as follows.

First off, I have never looked at a HAL.

I have a couple of friends down here that race 7~11 second cars. I have seen many dyno curves on many shocks. My advice is if you have the money buy Koni's SPA1's, otherwise buy Lakewood's.

CE, Summit and Doetsch Tech 3 ways really don't seem to be that great. They are all three made by Gabriel in Polaski Tenassee, and are all the same parts (any shock with a P at the beginning of the date code and a roll formed end where the piston rod comes out are pretty much built there.)
They all three have very little compression which usually means that the car is more likely to bottom as the front end settles. All of the shocks hove very little rebound and will rise the same. Only Koni's and Lakewoods are close to being true 90-10's, and have good compression curves. Lakewoods seem to work well on anything. From 12 second Chevelles to 8 second first gen Camaro's.

Oh yeah, if money is no object, a guy I know with a seven second twin turbo big block vette runs electrically adjustable Penske's (source of most of my drag shock knowledge) and swears by them. They tighten up after half track.

Morkai
01-22-2002, 12:13:00 PM
I have a set of 70/30 lakewoods myself, didn't want to run the 90/10 on the street. I'll let you know how they work whenever the car is back on the road. I've heard good things about them.

------------------
Eric aka(Morkai)
'79 Z28, Silver, T-Tops, 388-roller...laying in pieces all over my shop

"186,000 miles a second, it's not just a good idea... it's the law."

Racer1283
01-22-2002, 01:39:00 PM
As cheap as they may be, I've never had a problem with Summit drag shocks. I have them all the way around, and the car has gone as fast as 11.81@114.88 with them.

n2omichael
01-22-2002, 04:07:00 PM
Koni also make an electric shock, a small servo controls the piston inside and is hooked up to a timer, it allows you to control the valving, Strange also make a similiar set up which is a little cheaper, but, it uses air instead of electricity, I have used the electric Konis for awhile now and in my opinion unless you are trying to qualify for NHRA Pro Stock they offer more than enough shock adjustability for people like ourselves, if money was NO object look into the pneaumatic adjuster that guys like "Bickel" and "RJ" sell, its only another 2K ON TOP of the price of the Penske's or Koni's!!,LOL!, but, like I said if you are in the market for something that serious you are probably not spending your own money anyway.

Just my thoughts
Michael

2x4
01-23-2002, 09:35:00 PM
thanks!
i think i'm gonna start with the ce shocks all the way around & work up from there.

Mike N
01-24-2002, 12:47:00 PM
Ive got Alden-Eagle coilovers out back,and up front are 15 year old Sears shocks that were $9 each. Consistent 1.48 60', footbrake, 3600lbs.

------------------
Mike N.
1981 Camaro
10.30's@130mph

mikereese
02-09-2002, 09:35:00 AM
I have a set of front koni spa 1 and rear koni spa 1 for a 70-81 camaro. I will sell for 125.00 let me know.
miker104@pacbell.net