View Full Version : Windshield Install : where to put the spacer rubber blocks?

Kamaro
04-14-2012, 04:21:52 PM
I'm now ready to install my brand new windshield and want to do it right from the 1st time (I really hope so), I will be using a 3M windo-weld urethane tube, I beieve I need to use some sort of rubber blocks to set the glass hight from the steel frame, whats the thickness and the best locations for these blocks?
also I'm wondering if I used these rubber blocks, will they prevent the urethane from reaching the areas that they cover? or do I need to put some urethane under and above them so the glass will be %100 sealed?

I appreciate all the helpful answers.

76 camaro car 1
04-14-2012, 05:20:57 PM
You don't need them on the windshield. It sits right on these.http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy51/tylerlayne/Picture352.jpg

earlysecond
04-14-2012, 06:26:46 PM
IF you are going to install you own glass (something I botched a couple of times, broke a windshield and now pay pros to do), get a high bead of urethane, make sure that it is in the right places and as soon as you are happy with where it is, put your window trim on right away.

The first time that pros came to install my second windshield, they said that I needed all the studs, clips and trim ready do go. Mine was not ready and needed some attention before they would warrantee the work.

The advantages that pros have, as I watched them install several pieces, they have a battery powered caulk gun, urethane is VERY high bodied (thick). They also use a special tip for the gun which lays the urethane down so that the install WILL seal. The tip intentionally builds a thin "ridge" of the goop which stands above the main bead, this ensures a seal.

Hope that helps. Do not get that crap on your hands, it is very sticky!
Brent

Kamaro
04-15-2012, 01:18:42 AM
So I won't need anything as spacer to set the glass height from the steel frame?

BondoSpecial
04-15-2012, 01:22:18 AM
If you lay the bead on really thick and know what you are doing, you don't need blocks. If you lay it on too thin without a spacer though you are screwed. I installed 2nd gen front and back glass and the windshield was close to the right depth, the back glass was way too deep though. If this is your first time installing glass you probably have a 50/50 chance of getting the depth right.

76 camaro car 1
04-15-2012, 08:33:18 AM
If your bead is thick at the top be sure you cover your dash just in case some is squeezed out and drips down.