02-08-2012, 11:05:23 AM
I am having trouble locating the correct wires to hook up
to a B&M shifter.I would like to use the wire at the ignition
switch but am not sure which wire feeds the solenoid
when the key is turned to the start position.Also does that
wire from switch to solenoid power the starter solenoid
or ground it?I have wiring diagrams but nothing matches
in color for what I have.This wiring has never been changed
after it left the factory .It is a console style automatic.
I could break in at the starter but I have installed a
heat shield with straps and don't want to cut the straps
Any Ideas?Thanks for your time. JB

Twisted_Metal
02-08-2012, 11:14:49 AM
I'm pretty sure the neutral safety switch wires are purple on your 79.

This diagram is for a 78. ---> http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/78w-ip1.jpg

I can check my Haynes manual tonight to be sure of the colors for a 79.

Johns79Z28
02-08-2012, 11:21:37 AM
Twisted Metal,
I see a 12 ga. purple on the ign. switch.I will try that one and see
what happens.Thanks John

Twisted_Metal
02-08-2012, 11:49:01 AM
There's two wires.
They are both purple but one has white stripes on it.

IIRC, The micro-switch on the B&M shifter will have two connections for neutral safety.
You will need to patch both wires into the switch to complete the circuit in neutral.

The switch should look like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/B-M-Neutral-Reverse-Safety-Switch-80629-/00/s/MzczWDQwMA==/$(KGrHqZ,!ogE8VgwsrK6BPH2GMmPMw~~60_12.JPG

It will not matter which wire goes to each of the two connections as it's a DC switch.

Good Luck!

Johns79Z28
02-08-2012, 12:24:45 PM
Twisted Metal,
Looking at the steering wheel end of the ignition switch
there is 1 pink,1 purple,1 red,1 black all 12 or 10 ga.
the lower plug for the switch is 1 red,1 orn. 12 or 10 ga
and 2 in 1 hole brown/white stripe,1 black/white stripe 16 or 18 ga.
I see no double purple .This does not match wiring diagrams. John

Leonards78LT
02-08-2012, 12:34:33 PM
Twisted Metal,
Looking at the steering wheel end of the ignition switch
there is 1 pink,1 purple,1 red,1 black all 12 or 10 ga.
the lower plug for the switch is 1 red,1 orn. 12 or 10 ga
and 2 in 1 hole brown/white stripe,1 black/white stripe 16 or 18 ga.
I see no double purple .This does not match wiring diagrams. John

The purple wire is the one you want to splice your switch on your new gear shift. You will need to cut this wire and splice in each side of the new switch into it.
This wire is only hot while cranking the engine.

Johns79Z28
02-08-2012, 12:58:59 PM
Leonards 78 LT,
I thought that might be the one.I think I was confused by
2 purple/white stripe shown in the wiring diagrams
Thanks for the help.John

azkeebler
02-08-2012, 01:06:59 PM
Why not utilize the factory wiring from the neutral safety switch off the the bottom end of the column? Just run extensions from the two purple wires at the bottom of the column to the B&M shifter's micro switch. That way, it is easily reversible and no hacking of wires to create problems later.

Leonards78LT
02-08-2012, 01:10:22 PM
Leonards 78 LT,
I thought that might be the one.I think I was confused by
2 purple/white stripe shown in the wiring diagrams
Thanks for the help.John

Maybe they ran out of purple with white stripe that day. :D
Glad I was able to assist.

Johns79Z28
02-08-2012, 01:26:45 PM
Azkeebler,
This car has been sitting for about 12 years and the column
was replaced by a friend and I see no wires like that after
looking with the column dropped so I will use the one at the
ignition switch but thanks for the help. John

grzewnicki
02-08-2012, 03:06:18 PM
Azkeebler,
This car has been sitting for about 12 years and the column
was replaced by a friend and I see no wires like that after
looking with the column dropped so I will use the one at the
ignition switch but thanks for the help. John

Doesn't matter if the column was changed, they are part of the car's harness, has nothing to do with the column. Llook around they are somewhere down there....because if you leave them disconnected no power is going to get through because splicing in at the ignition switch end is before those terminals. There is also two wires over where the clutch safety switch would be at (I believe the harness had connections for both auto and stick and it was wired so if either pair was hooked up to a switch the starter would work. )

79ZED
02-08-2012, 03:49:31 PM
If the car was an original auto trans, it will only have the purple wire. The purple wire will run directly from the neutral start switch on the column to the bulkhead connector at the firewall, and then to the starter.

Manual trans vehicles had the purple/ white stripe to the clutch switch and the purple feed from the reverse lockout switch on the column.

John

grzewnicki
02-08-2012, 04:10:09 PM
If the car was an original auto trans, it will only have the purple wire. The purple wire will run directly from the neutral start switch on the column to the bulkhead connector at the firewall, and then to the starter.

Manual trans vehicles had the purple/ white stripe to the clutch switch and the purple feed from the reverse lockout switch on the column.

John

not what the wiring diagrams are showing. And when I look at wiring harness' in parts catalog, there is no call out for auto or manual trans (meaning no diff in harness') From what I see, it is wired so either neatral safety switch or the clutch safety switch completes the circuit (wired in parallel). And there is no purple wire to the reverse switch on the column, that is only power for reverse lights that is your light green and pink wires. Easiest way to do this is plug the wires at the base of the column into a relay, then run a light guage power wire from the BM shifter to the relay to close it.

wiring diagram is here, neatral safety and clutch switch are on left side, one third wasy down page: http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/78w-ip1.jpg

Johns79Z28
02-08-2012, 04:17:18 PM
This car starts and runs fine as is.I am only adding the neutral safety
switch from the new B&M console shifter.It will now start and run in any
gear which is not a good idea,thus the neutral switch. John

Twisted_Metal
02-08-2012, 08:50:56 PM
Well... I'll be damned!!!!
They changed the neutral safety switch wiring in 79!:confused:

Maybe that's why they labeled the circuit "SOL".
(You ARE S-O-L without a Haynes/Chiltons manual on this one! ;) )

http://i39.tinypic.com/15wcdoy.jpg

There is no purple/white wire in an automatic.
(Just like 79ZED said.)

My son has a 79 with a B&M shifter but it was there when he bought it so I didn't get the pleasure of figuring this one out.

Follow Leonard's instructions in post #6 and you should be good. :D

azkeebler
02-08-2012, 10:11:43 PM
Wow, yep, 79ZED and Leonard is right, '79 didn't have the switch at the column. Just confirmed on my '79. I apologize for the misleading info. I saw the purple/white wires on my '78(easier to see as dash is out) and immediately assumed they would be the same for '79.

I had tapped into the harness as Leonard described years ago for starter interrupt for the alarm, just didn't realize I splice the harness to do so.

Learn something everyday.:o

nasstzz
02-09-2012, 09:07:10 AM

John
my 80 z was an auto but now 4speed it has the purple /purple with white wire in the harness!! the purple wire has a connector to the purple/white,I just disconnected them and added a clutch switch useing these wires,hope this helps:)

Johns79Z28
02-09-2012, 09:39:23 AM
Thank you all for the help.Now if I can figure out how to
post pictures from photobucket (I do have pictures on Photobucket)but am not sure what to do next.I have looked at whats posted on this site
but I am still lost.Being an old guy with little experience on a computer
its all new to me.Thanks again John

Rene Melten
02-09-2012, 10:43:24 AM
In Photobucket view the picture you want to download. On the right there is a link heading, under it there are three choices, click on "IMAGE CODE" it will glow "Copied" in yellow, briefly. Then come back here and right click the mouse and paste it in your post. Hope this helps.

Johns79Z28
02-09-2012, 05:05:22 PM
Rene,
When I look at my pictures in photobucket there is nothing to the right of the
photo.If you would send me an e-mail address to My e-mail I can send a
picture of what I see on photobucket.Thanks for your time John
e-mail : burkhaltej@sbcglobal.net

Rene Melten
02-09-2012, 06:17:58 PM
Well I found this on you tube, it should explain for you...

JvvxraciwvI

Rene Melten
02-11-2012, 04:42:49 PM
Here is a picture of John's car. Once we get through the Photobucket issue maybe we can fix the problem...

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad142/73rs/BC%2073RS/e14a695b.jpg

Johns79Z28
02-12-2012, 10:39:51 PM
Rene,
Thanks for posting the picture.I am watching the link you sent
and will try to post more photos. John

ZZTOP
05-31-2014, 09:30:46 AM
There's two wires.

IIRC, The micro-switch on the B&M shifter will have two connections for neutral safety.
You will need to patch both wires into the switch to complete the circuit in neutral.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/B-M-Neutral-Reverse-Safety-Switch-80629-/00/s/MzczWDQwMA==/$(KGrHqZ,!ogE8VgwsrK6BPH2GMmPMw~~60_12.JPG

It will not matter which wire goes to each of the two connections as it's a DC switch.

Good Luck!

ok so this is what I have/73 AAW CLASSIC update kit dash is out all new wires I have two prongs after reading through the thread I'm probably:confused: // more/ where would the reverse light wire go??

ZZTOP
05-31-2014, 09:45:28 AM
There's two wires.

Good Luck!

And how dose the reverse light wire hook up??

Scott51
05-31-2014, 07:54:02 PM
There should be a pink and light green wire for the reverse light, works the same way as the neutral safety switch so doesn't matter which way around you connect them.

ZZTOP
06-01-2014, 09:16:52 AM
yes sir got it yesterday thanks for the reply... kinda hard to get the switches adjusted as now they are good
:)