View Full Version : Quick Fuel Slayer carbs.

1BAD78
01-03-2012, 05:19:20 PM
Have any of you guys used one of these carbs? The price is great on the features that it come with it.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick+Fuel/793/SL600VS/10002/-1

bigbad79
01-03-2012, 05:37:20 PM
It does look like a great carb for the price, I've considered trying one out. Not a fan of my street avenger 670.

1BAD78
01-03-2012, 05:42:58 PM
Not a fan of my street avenger 670.
Really. I was considering a street avenger, but I think ill pick up this quick fuel. I'll wait and see what others say about it.

71RS/SS396
01-03-2012, 05:46:51 PM
I don't know anything about the Slayer series but I have 2 Hot Rod series carbs and I'm very satisfied with the way they perform.

GM72_SuperSport
01-03-2012, 05:57:33 PM
The only differences i see between the Slayer and the big brother Hot Rod series is that the Slayer does not have a secondary metering block. I would take any of these carbs over the street avenger. Much more versatile carbs. changeable idle air and high-speed air bleeds and quick adjustment secondaries. Perfect for a street car in my opinion

jpekarek
01-03-2012, 07:48:58 PM
It does look like a nice carb. Just another version of the old Holley though, which is a great carb. I tuned a guys '70 Chevelle 400SB two weeks ago with one of these Slayer carbs. Just like workng on a Holley, everything worked just the same. Car ran great after setting it up correctly. I wouldn't mind using one, price seems good.

The Street Avenger carb is not much different then the other Holley's. Just a slightly different outward appearence and different out of the box tuning mainly. They can really ALL be made to run the same. Even the Edelbrocks, they are infinetely adjustable on the primary and secondary circuits. I like the Edelbrocks mainly because you can make all adjustments and tune anything without removing the carb from the engine or even draining the bowls.

The biggest problem I run into is people assuming that when they buy a carb that it is "ready to run" out of the box. Nothing could be further from the truth. Your engine will "start" out of the box but in my experience 100% of carbs are NOT set up to run correctly on YOUR engine out of the box. The floats are always high and the idle circuit is always rich. This stuff needs to be set up before you run the car much.

All carbs of any manufacturer operate basically the same, they all have the same circuits and all operate on the same design principles. They just adjust differently. This is where the brand stigma comes from. Even the Quadrajet will perform just like a Holley when set up right. Not better or worse, just equall when the circuits are correctly set up for your car.

CamaroMan79
01-03-2012, 09:12:26 PM
Never heard of that series of carbs, but it seems like a pretty good deal. I might have to look into them more. I am looking for a carb for the 390 in my 62 F100. I rebuilt the vintage Holley that was on it but I'm still having problems

It does look like a great carb for the price, I've considered trying one out. Not a fan of my street avenger 670.
What don't you like about it? I have a 770 on my 383 and couldnt be happier with it except for that my carb stud broke off inside it when the carb fell off my workbench. So now I have it JB welded in there.

dragrace505
01-03-2012, 10:18:04 PM
I have the Quick Fuel Q-750-AN, and I really like it. I had a 670 street avenger, and was nothing but problems.

bigbad79
01-03-2012, 10:41:02 PM
Never heard of that series of carbs, but it seems like a pretty good deal. I might have to look into them more. I am looking for a carb for the 390 in my 62 F100. I rebuilt the vintage Holley that was on it but I'm still having problems

What don't you like about it? I have a 770 on my 383 and couldnt be happier with it except for that my carb stud broke off inside it when the carb fell off my workbench. So now I have it JB welded in there.

Well I expect a little lag with a vacuum secondary carb, but it's ridiculous with my street avenger. I have changed jets, accelerator pump cams, secondary springs....and I've adjusted the accelerator pump several times and it just bogs off the line NO MATTER WHAT. And I know it's the carb, because I took it off and put on a friend's old Holley 750 and it did great.

1980RS
01-04-2012, 07:51:44 AM
Well I expect a little lag with a vacuum secondary carb, but it's ridiculous with my street avenger. I have changed jets, accelerator pump cams, secondary springs....and I've adjusted the accelerator pump several times and it just bogs off the line NO MATTER WHAT. And I know it's the carb, because I took it off and put on a friend's old Holley 750 and it did great.

I bought a VS 750 here from a guy, ran great untill you stomped on it then mine had the same problem. I out my old 3310-1 on the same engine and did not have any hesitation. Makes me wonder what is different with the 2 carbs. As I remember from back in the 70's I never had any hesitation with holleys back then, a few bogs no and then but no hesitations. I sold the carb at a swap meet.

bigbad79
01-04-2012, 12:52:08 PM
I might just pick up a Quick Fuel 750....and get rid of the street avenger for good.

1BAD78
01-04-2012, 01:46:55 PM
The guy at the local speed shop said this quick fuel carb would be better for my motor.
http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/carburetors-hot-rod-series
He said it was more tunable with the four corner idle, but it cost $100 more.

CamaroMan79
01-11-2012, 06:44:05 PM
I went ahead and pulled the plug on one of these Slayer carbs. I got it today. It looks pretty nice. Ill get it put on tomorrow and report back.

br80z
02-28-2012, 04:22:23 PM
I went ahead and pulled the plug on one of these Slayer carbs. I got it today. It looks pretty nice. Ill get it put on tomorrow and report back.

any update on the quick fuel carb? I'm considering buying one myself

CamaroMan79
02-28-2012, 04:35:43 PM
any update on the quick fuel carb? I'm considering buying one myself

I got it on my Ford 390 and the motor fired right up. I cant drive the truck down the road right now because I don't have bumpers, bed or tabs for it yet. The truck is on the back burner till I can find a 64-66 shortbox bed for it (been looking for a year) with no luck. Once I drive the truck a little bit I can check the plugs and adjust from there.

The the finish reminds me of the Edelbrock carbs.

5spd540
02-28-2012, 06:00:38 PM
I have a q series carb great carbs

vegafish33
02-28-2012, 06:15:45 PM
I have a street avenger 670 on my 350 right now and it runs great. if you're trying to get that extra 2hp and a serious racer then i wouldn't recommend it, but for a daily i have no complaints.

HOWEVER... this is the second SA i've put on. The first one had a defect with the amount of lead in the material and it was flaking off in the fuel bowl but i dont think this occurred to only the SA line. My performance shop contacted Holley and i got a brand new one, no huffs and puffs, no problems or hassles. Since then cars been driving great... i may have a different opinion when i install it on my vortec 388 though, but im not worried. My 71 is a street car.

Ether way, $300 for a quick fuel is a good deal.

5spd540
02-28-2012, 06:19:52 PM
I have a street avenger 670 on my 350 right now and it runs great. if you're trying to get that extra 2hp and a serious racer then i wouldn't recommend it, but for a daily i have no complaints.

HOWEVER... this is the second SA i've put on. The first one had a defect with the amount of lead in the material and it was flaking off in the fuel bowl but i dont think this occurred to only the SA line. My performance shop contacted Holley and i got a brand new one, no huffs and puffs, no problems or hassles. Since then cars been driving great... i may have a different opinion when i install it on my vortec 388 though, but im not worried. My 71 is a street car.

Ether way, $300 for a quick fuel is a good deal.
Yea I payed 600 for my quick fuel

1980RS
02-28-2012, 09:27:53 PM
Funny, You go to order one and they don't even have one you can buy. Market first, sell later, Real good PR.

CamaroMan79
02-28-2012, 10:17:33 PM
Funny, You go to order one and they don't even have one you can buy. Market first, sell later, Real good PR.

Where did you try to order from? I got mine from JEGS a week after they came out.