View Full Version : double hump heads or vortech?

78camarob
08-11-2011, 12:34:29 AM
a friend of mine has core double hump heads that need to be machined and wants 50 for them, or should i get vortecs both would have all the stuff i could do to them, port and polish, shaved all that, with would be better for a 78 camaro original motor slight cam and has original heads with 5 angle valve job

retorq
08-11-2011, 01:22:14 AM
Your gonna need a new intake, intake gaskets and plugs at the very least if you are going to Vortecs from a std small block head ... I've been there a couple times.

Bikefixr
08-11-2011, 01:32:40 AM
Not even a contest. Those old fuelie heads were good...30 years ago! I can guarantee they've already been rebuilt a couple times, so the decks are probabally thin, the valve seats have been cut so they are receded into the head, not to mention cracks. By the time you fix and rebuild them, you could buy Vortec's, have some $ left to get the proper manifold. Have you actually PRICED out all the trick stuff you want done? Decent porting is EASILY $500+. Add in the rebuild, machining, springs/valves/retainers and you can have $1500 in a set of 35 yr old, heavy, castings...and they STILL won't flow as well or as cleanly as a good set of aluminum AFR's.

Vortecs are THE best bang for the buck around. With a 30 min ghetto grind, they are good to .550 lift. Add in some cheap Z/28 type springs, spend 2 hrs pinning the studs and you are good to go. They will easily support 500HP and last forever. If you have a stock short block, mill the Vortec heads a little to bump the compression to 9.75:1 and vastly improve quench. With the right cam, a Vortec head/Intake manifold will add 100+ HP and run reliably all day long for you. Vortecs need little work. A little backcut on the valves, a quickie blend where the seat meets the bowl will boost the HP by 20. They already outflow every stock GM head made including the famed Bowties and Corvette LT-1 heads. In additon to flow capacity, they have excelent flow quality. They can run more compression than most iron heads without knocking. They do need a special intake, but I see used Eddy's that fit for $75 all the time. The center-bolt valve covers don't leak and the intake gasket is reusable.

Lowend
08-11-2011, 03:08:12 AM
+1
Double Hump heads weren't that good to start with

ChevyD
08-11-2011, 12:21:54 PM
+1
Double Hump heads weren't that good to start with

Not sure about that, I made 500+ whith them on a 355. Having said that, I would go with the vortecs also. Mind you, if you keep your eyes open, you could probably find a good set of aluminum heads for what you will spend on the vortecs once all the work you want to do is done.

ProStreet383
08-11-2011, 05:34:31 PM
Not sure about that, I made 500+ whith them on a 355. Having said that, I would go with the vortecs also. Mind you, if you keep your eyes open, you could probably find a good set of aluminum heads for what you will spend on the vortecs once all the work you want to do is done.

I have to agree on all of the above. Double humps ported by somebody that knows HOW to port them are no joke. That being said vortecs are the better option and even better would be a good used set of aluminum heads.

Kamikaze
08-11-2011, 05:41:49 PM
It depends on your budget...which is the MAJOR LIMITATION!!!

As others have stated, Vortecs are the way to go! But will need a new intake and possibly some other items...

If you are limited in funds and have a decent intake, cam , carb, and the fuellies are in great shape, then they will be an improvement over a stock smogger head...

Led Zep
08-11-2011, 07:48:20 PM
Vortecs are light years ahead of the GM fuelie head.

trmnatr
08-11-2011, 08:08:08 PM
a friend of mine has core double hump heads that need to be machined and wants 50 for them, or should i get vortecs both would have all the stuff i could do to them, port and polish, shaved all that, with would be better for a 78 camaro original motor slight cam and has original heads with 5 angle valve job

Depends on how budget you want to be and whats done

With camel hump 291 heads, we proved they can make ~530hp on a 400 small block, which ran 10.13 to 10.22 at 131-133mph every pass with 1/8 times 6.41-6.60 @104-106mph every run all season long. 2850 pound car

trmnatr
08-11-2011, 08:11:09 PM
I have to agree on all of the above. Double humps ported by somebody that knows HOW to port them are no joke. That being said vortecs are the better option and even better would be a good used set of aluminum heads.

Our Camel Hump's have ZERO INTAKE RUNNER PORTING and ZERO CHAMBER PORTING

The exhaust runners are ported just to smooth them out so they could be polished and the bowls were ported due to the valve job for the larger 2.02"/1.6" valves

The pinch point in these heads are pretty big. We shifted at 6,000rpm and ran past the lights at 6,500rpm to 6,800rpm which was over .15 when we were geared to shift at 6,000rpm and ran 6,200rpm past the lights

People claim the chambers are so bad they need 38°+ to run, Our fastest ET's are at 34° timing, which tells you they are not as bad as some people believe

Rich Schmidt
08-11-2011, 08:35:27 PM
It depends on how expensive your machine shop is and how good you are at porting. Out of the box Vortecs flow well,but as others have said you need a new intake,and not many are available used,and if you have anything bigger then a really mild cam you can expect to need to have the Vortecs machined for new springs,and have the valve guides cut down. Paying $400 for a set of complete vortec heads,$175 for an intake,$250 for new valve springs and the related machine work,and $100 for special self aligning rocker arms,and the costs add up quick.

As for the camel humps,it depends on how washed out they are. Here is how I did mine. I had the heads from 20 years ago(I will say they cost $50 because thats what yours cost) I bought a set of Ebay $65 2.02/1.60 valves,a set of $60 Z/28 springs,retainers and locks from the same seller,then sent them to the machine shop. There they charged me $350 total to mill the heads,replace all the guides with bronze liners,do a 3 angle serdi valve job,machine for PC seals and supply the seals,and assemble the heads. Years ago I did a bowl blend job,polished the chambers,layed back the chamber into the quench,gasket matched them to a stock gasket,and widened the pushrod pinch as much as possible. I did it by eye with a die grinder and about 8 hours of my time.

In my case it allowed me to use a used intake that come with a parts car I bought along with some used roller tip rockers and hardened pushrods from the same car. My heads were already machined for screw in studs and guideplates,but to be honest it wasnt really needed. I had about $600 into the heads and the market value on the used intake and rockers would be about $125. After putting the car together I decided that I wanted air conditioning,and I had to drill and tap the holes on the driver's side head to mount the compressor. You dont really need the hole on the passenger side for the altenator bracket if you know how to set up the altenator mount.

I was insistant about using these heads,and I have them on a 408 small block with a high lift short duration hydraulic flat tappet cam and ported Torker 2 intake,my logic being that I can pass the engine of as a stock 327 with bolt on parts at the street races. Dollar for dollar I could have ran about the same or only a tick slower had I just bought the Vortec stuff,paid for the valvespring upgrade and olted it all togetherb,ut it wouldnt have looked "old school 60's cool"