View Full Version : Rear Axles

BLKnBad71Z
07-13-2011, 12:44:56 PM
Whats a good replacement axle for a street performance 8.5" 10-bolt rearend? Going to be changing my gears so i thought i'd go through everything while its apart. Just looking for a regular c-clip axle. I was looking through summit and they have a few different ones to chose from. Anyone use the summit brand? Or are they some hong kong ones?? Thanks

woody80z28
07-13-2011, 12:51:05 PM
I'm using the Moser c-clip axles with screw-in studs and have no complaints.

fbody_mike
07-13-2011, 12:55:54 PM
I am running Alloy USA axles and have been happy with them. They came machined for both screw in and pressed in studs.

old zeder
07-13-2011, 04:38:40 PM
I went with Superior brand axles made in USA 4340 chromemoly, listed in the Summit catalog # SAG-EV10-2C+, GM 8.5, 10 bolt, 28-spline they have been in the rear end for five years now and have given me no concerns.
They were an up-grade from the reg. 1541 carbon steel axles so the cost was higher. They also come with larger holes for screw in studs, I think most of the after market axles are good quality and will last untill you push their limits

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/398/2430/25993714551_large.jpg

BLKnBad71Z
07-13-2011, 04:59:03 PM
Yea not looking to push the limits of any parts. I just want a dependable car to drive now. Is there any advantage over the different metals in the axles? Thanks

DevelsDaughter
07-13-2011, 05:08:00 PM
I have superiors 1 peice axles in an old cj of mine..The spider gears are welded with 33'' boggers..Beat the snot out of it never broke an axle..

BondoSpecial
07-13-2011, 05:11:07 PM
How much power are you making? I am going to run stock axles until I break one, which hasn't happened yet.

old zeder
07-13-2011, 09:46:51 PM
I think the axles will twist before they break, last rear that I pushed with the 454and a power shift just broke the side axle gears in pieces, and crunched up inside it was a non posi unit so everything went into the garbage anyway, axles had no marks on them
I think that with better material the axle bearings will last longer with less noise

Yea not looking to push the limits of any parts. I just want a dependable car to drive now. Is there any advantage over the different metals in the axles? Thanks

theflash
07-14-2011, 09:24:53 AM
Moser axles here too.

Cardinal
07-14-2011, 11:18:47 AM
IF you use your stock axles (which BTW are perfeclty fine axles for a slightly modified engine) be sure to put them back in the side that they came from.

Why you may ask? ALL rotating parts have a "set" to them = they get mostly twisted in one direction. IF you swapped the axles from one side to the other, the alxes will try to move the set from one direction to the other = failed axle(s).

You can't go wrong with either Superior or Moser axles.

C-clip eliminators on the street: ALL of the manufacturers of C-eliminator kits DO NOT advise using them on the street. Yes, people do and claim that they've never had a problem. I called Moser and asked them why and was told that the seals in the bearing will leak oil if the car is driven more than a 1/4 mile at a time because of heat buildup in the bearings. They advised using Ford housing ends and buying axles with the Ford bearing size on them (along with the bearing/axle retaining plates).

night rider
07-15-2011, 02:36:52 AM
All of the name brand ones are pretty good.

I ran Yukon axles in my old 7.625" 10 bolt in a third gen, now run Moser axles in my ford 9"

Superior, dutchman and mark willams are also great. Strange is pretty good as well

Rich Schmidt
07-15-2011, 09:33:19 AM
I ran stock 12 bolt axles in my 3200# car into the low 10's with C-clip eliminators on them,and made hundreds of passes. I tried shooting the car into the 9's a few times,and the C clip eliminator bearing on one side failed a short time later. I put a new bearing in and it failed too. I took the axle out and found that it was both twisted and bent. I took out my stock 3's series posi unit(which had a ring gear spacer and 5.13's on it) and put in Moser 33 spline axles and spool. My axles dont leak bad from street driving,but I have noticed that the brake dust isnt real light and orange like usual,it is dask and clumped together a bit,but not wet. The shoes also have a bit more shine to them. The brakes still work,but I do take a file to the shoes whenever I have the drums off,typically only when changing gears every few years, to take the shine off them.

Louich
07-15-2011, 07:22:58 PM
unless your getting a whole lot of hook or theirs something wrong with your stock ones i wouldn't waste your time changing them.

V8TEC
07-15-2011, 08:11:42 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Mark Williams Masterline axles?

cali cruzer
07-16-2011, 01:42:06 AM
Street driven 70 with 4.10 gears. I've been running Superior axles with zero issues.