View Full Version : single stage or base clear that is the question?

banaro79
04-21-2011, 11:41:27 AM
trying to decide what have u guys used

rusacarr
04-21-2011, 11:46:13 AM
Mine's still original paint, so it's the old single-stage.

Everyone I know that's repainted, though, has gone with the base/clear setup. For my $.02, t's a WAY better paint system; easier to take care of, longer lasting, deeper shine, etc.

I'd say if you're demanding to keep your car "original", go with a single-stage. Otherwise I'd go with base/clear.

Chevrolaine
04-21-2011, 12:16:11 PM
What he said. ^ :cool:

351maverick
04-21-2011, 12:18:35 PM
do you want to paint your car once (single stage) or twice? (base/clear)

daniel76309
04-21-2011, 12:29:12 PM
I think if you are going with more than one color (e.g. stripes), or if you want a color with any flakes, pearl, etc., in it, you definitely should do base/clear, because otherwise you can't color sand and buff.

If you are doing a single "solid" color, a catalyzed urethane type would probably be fine without clear coat. I have no experience with this type of paint though...not sure how easy it is to sand and buff.

earlysecond
04-21-2011, 09:06:34 PM
What color that is the big decision for me. Maverick, I am not sure the quick response you posted can be considered fair or accurate. Did you mean it to be that oversimplified intentionally?

70-SS/RS-L78
04-21-2011, 09:13:21 PM
Just as long as it is NOT BLACK Clear it. I base clear every color Execpt Black. Putting Clear over Black is a No-No!!!

vfw_1168
04-21-2011, 09:22:35 PM
I used a base/clear on mine

nagrom28
04-21-2011, 10:35:11 PM
why would you say putting clear coat over black is a no-no? they do make black base coat that is intended to have a clear coat applied to it. that boggles my mind.....

olstyle
04-21-2011, 10:51:27 PM
I used base/clear

JR454
04-21-2011, 11:08:46 PM
Im not sure why anyone would say putting clear on "black" is a no-no.. That makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE AT ALL.!!

To answer your question. yes color is a big factor. If your doing a solid color, s.s. is a simple way to get a good looking color on your car. It is cheaper to do a solid color in ss. and if done correctly it will last and look good.

Base/clear. All around great product. you can mix clear and ss together 50/50 in your last coat on a single stage job. It will help give it more uv. protection and also helps it flow out great.. If you want to base/clear any color- even black, you cant go wrong.. There are some great clears out there today that will last a long time, easy to buff, and flow out great. I prefer ppg. been using it for a LONG time. others will have there opinion- but thats just my choice and it works for me..

70-SS/RS-L78
04-21-2011, 11:22:44 PM
You can clear black but if I am doing a black paint job I wont clear it.. I have had this discussion on many occasions so I proved my point with a junk hood.. One side black with clear the other side straight black urethane. We let it sit for a day, blocked and rubbed the whole hood and showed it to the customer. He picked the uncleared side. The clear side looked cloudy compared to the straight black urethane. Don’t get me wrong you can do a car with black CC and it will look great cleared... BUT…. it looks Sooooo much better with out the clear.

tims78camaro
04-22-2011, 12:13:26 PM
i heard with single stage if you get a run in it most of the time you cant get it out without re painting it but im not sure but i base cleared mine

Kamikaze
04-22-2011, 12:37:36 PM
I'm curious as to what paint brand system 70-SS/RS-78 uses.
I do agree that straight black paint in single stage looks super initially, but it shows swirls and scratches much quicker too.

For the ultimate in protection and durability of nearly any color, modern basecoat / clearcoat Urethanes will protect better and help keep the color longer.

If I were to do a dark color car or one with graphics, I would do a basecoat / clearcoat.

If I were doing a silver or red or metallic, I would definitely do a basecoat / clearcoat.

If you are going to drive your car, I would do a basecoat / clearcoat.

If the car was just going to sit inside on display, under special lighting, than a single stage paint would be fine.

The thing I have seen on cars that are driven is that the clearcoat will add a layer of protection from UV as well as the normal elements and allow you to polish out scratches, imperfections and minor inclusions over a longer period of time.

Custom colors will require a clearcoat and in some cases, are part of the final color achieved.

My experience is with DuPont, PPG, Spies-Hecker, BASF, Planet Color, House of Kolor, AlSA, and Martin Senour.

I would suggest you contact Wookie and discuss your desired finish with him and get his opinion.

70-SS/RS-L78
04-22-2011, 08:47:57 PM
I'm curious as to what paint brand system 70-SS/RS-78 uses.
I do agree that straight black paint in single stage looks super initially, but it shows swirls and scratches much quicker too. .

It depends on the job. I am a Sikkens fan but not everybody can afford the price so I work within the customers budget. They all work, Sikkens,PPG,DuPont,BASF.... Its all good. I also disagree with your scratch theory, You will be chasing fine scratches in black as long as you own the car. I dont care if it has clear or not.

tims78camaro, That is true. It is called pigment float. I can tell you from Experience. I have had more then my share of runs through the years. Depending on how bad the run is you will usually see it when you cut and buff the run out.

Kamikaze
04-22-2011, 09:38:02 PM
Well, I guess we should agree to disagree on the single stage versus basecoat / clearcoat with black.

No matter what type of paint system is utilized, when black or darker colors are used, it really is a combination of the finished, (cut & polished), surface, a regular upkeep of cleaning & waxing and for the ultimate swirl-free, wet-look show car finish, it is usually the application of a good, high quality glaze applied properly.

For the O.P. it really depends on the color you are deciding to paint the car, your budget, as well as how much driving you are going to be doing as well as in what conditions...

banaro79
04-23-2011, 03:17:31 AM
ok glad to see the thread has brought up some good points. now i am paiting it 76 corvette yellow base/clear. i would like to do it myself but have never shot it before. is there a suggested tip size can i use one gun for both. pressures guys are praying. i just got a quote from a guy to just spray and buff out and he came in around 3000.00 including paint. this of course was a top of the line paint. 700.00 in paint cost alone. the car is already primered and wet sanded using 2k primer. my garage is big enuff to do the job. im just not sure how i want to go about doing it. also things like dry times,how many coats of each and what to use to buff it out. for three grand im very willing to screw it up myself.

vfw_1168
04-23-2011, 07:44:51 AM
if you decide to paint yourself you can save some coin if you order paint online.... if you look at TCP global website write down their price then go to amazon then look at their price .... for me i used house of kolor paint and it was cheaper from amazon....and it came from TCP global when it shipped .... for the kirker silver paint and clear i went to pivco.net

Simon@London
04-23-2011, 10:00:49 AM
Over the last few years I have did a lot of photography of old cars and between two paints I find this. Base/ Clear paints don't shoot as well for what ever reason with the new camera's. The single stage paints come out much nicer on photo and I found this by accident. Got me looking closer at this phenom and wondering what pigment the camera may be picking up or not picking up in glazed paints. Single stage painted cars on a sunny afternoon sitting on grass yard at car show always look better than clear coated cars. I don't know why and don't profess to be any type of body man but notice single staged painted cars look sharper and crisper. My new Terrain SLT-2 is black metal flake and very sharp looker, until you get into bright sun. In late day the metal flake looks awesome with sun angles but when I park beside a black vehicle it looks lighter. ( flake paint )

The BC/ CC paint jobs are much costlier and many are very nice looking, but for the money I don't think you can go wrong with a single coat urethane when it's 1/3 the cost.

To each his own and depending on what vehicle you own. I painted my Z single Corvette White in a cheapo paint job. Decals where costly but honestly it looks awesome in any light. ( and cheap ) When I get around one day to frame off job on Z I may get into a costly BC/ CC paint job but not at this stage.

But that phenom of camera's and CC paints is wild, single staged vehicles sitting next to them look much better in photo's....( sharper, richer , deeper paints. )

The Camera must be picking up Clears and making the pain more dull a little bit.

Jcdubs
04-23-2011, 12:26:23 PM
Dupont Chrome one factory package black, single stage.

It's been 6 years, holding up real nice.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3761/4301/21902150153_large.jpg

79 Z28 project
04-23-2011, 12:34:10 PM
A car magazine article I read not long ago was talking about a resto project they painted with single stage urathane and their comments were that it took much more upkeep and scratched much more easily...comments please

Bamaro
04-23-2011, 02:03:55 PM
A car magazine article I read not long ago was talking about a resto project they painted with single stage urathane and their comments were that it took much more upkeep and scratched much more easily...comments please
Mine was painted MANY years ago with Ditzler (Deltron/Starthane?) polyurethane enamel and the finish is nearly perfect (note: garage kept)

70-SS/RS-L78
04-23-2011, 03:08:12 PM
Over the last few years I have did a lot of photography of old cars and between two paints I find this. Base/ Clear paints don't shoot as well for what ever reason with the new camera's. The single stage paints come out much nicer on photo and I found this by accident. Got me looking closer at this phenom and wondering what pigment the camera may be picking up or not picking up in glazed paints. Single stage painted cars on a sunny afternoon sitting on grass yard at car show always look better than clear coated cars. I don't know why and don't profess to be any type of body man but notice single staged painted cars look sharper and crisper. My new Terrain SLT-2 is black metal flake and very sharp looker, until you get into bright sun. In late day the metal flake looks awesome with sun angles but when I park beside a black vehicle it looks lighter. ( flake paint )

The BC/ CC paint jobs are much costlier and many are very nice looking, but for the money I don't think you can go wrong with a single coat urethane when it's 1/3 the cost.

To each his own and depending on what vehicle you own. I painted my Z single Corvette White in a cheapo paint job. Decals where costly but honestly it looks awesome in any light. ( and cheap ) When I get around one day to frame off job on Z I may get into a costly BC/ CC paint job but not at this stage.

But that phenom of camera's and CC paints is wild, single staged vehicles sitting next to them look much better in photo's....( sharper, richer , deeper paints. )

The Camera must be picking up Clears and making the pain more dull a little bit.

Interesting, But it makes sense… Color is nothing more then the reflection of light off of the color pigments and pearl or metallic flakes. Anything that changes the way the light reflects off of them will affect the way you perceive the colors. When you sand and buff orange peel it lightens the color slightly on base clear paint so if there is no clear to change the way the light reflects on a single stage color you will see the difference in the picture…. You learn something new every day….

vfw_1168
04-23-2011, 03:16:39 PM
wookie is the paint guy to go to .... he wont steer you wrong

jasong
04-28-2011, 02:02:51 PM
I based/cleared mine too... The stuff is so expensive anyways, mine as well :)

Mikey18
04-28-2011, 04:28:23 PM
So... Two stage, or not two stage? THAT is the question.

banaro79
04-28-2011, 05:12:42 PM
base clear i jammed he car yesturday hung doors and fenders today paint saturday

hhott71
04-28-2011, 06:02:11 PM
I BC/CC'd mine in #43 71 Citrus Green with true fire flames out of the front fenderwells and the front of the hood.