View Full Version : eastwood chassis paint

leafs_11
02-02-2011, 03:07:56 PM
just finished spraying a test piece over 2 days ago.
the 2 k was resanded with 320 degreased and sprayed with 2 coats of
eastwoods ceramic cjhassis black.
i put a heater in front of it for the whole time and pre heated the metal ,so it was warm the whole cure time.
aqfter 2 1/2 days it is hard but scratches and marks easily.
a simple penny with light pressure will scratch it.
doesnt take much pressure to make a scrach through
is this stuff over hyped or needs longer to cure???
they can put a man on the moon but cant make a paint that sticks?this is the fourth product that failed.
my rotissery was painted with tremclad at $12 a can right over the rusty metal and i cant chip or scratch it.
its tough as nails.its the best product ive tested and its dirt cheap.
the por 15 chassis paint was a joke.(not reg por 15)

BonzoHansen
02-02-2011, 03:40:48 PM
Nothing is unscratchable

I can only speak to standard POR15, but I found their product got tougher over time. My control arms were somewhat scratchable the 1st few weeks but are much tougher now. maybe that is the case here, it needs more cure time? I found rustoleum needs more cure time compared to regular spray paint as well.

banaro79
02-03-2011, 10:55:39 PM
i agree completely the first coat that i put on flashed gray in spots and scratches easier than there reg chassi black. could of just used krylon instead. im curious to see how long before i rip the front end apart to repaint. :mad:

77nomad
02-03-2011, 11:16:36 PM
My car isn't together and I want to tear t down and repaint the subframe.

DCR 1979 Z28
02-04-2011, 12:26:02 AM
just finished spraying a test piece over 2 days ago.
the 2 k was resanded with 320 degreased and sprayed with 2 coats of
eastwoods ceramic cjhassis black.
i put a heater in front of it for the whole time and pre heated the metal ,so it was warm the whole cure time.
aqfter 2 1/2 days it is hard but scratches and marks easily.
a simple penny with light pressure will scratch it.
doesnt take much pressure to make a scrach through
is this stuff over hyped or needs longer to cure???
they can put a man on the moon but cant make a paint that sticks?this is the fourth product that failed.
my rotissery was painted with tremclad at $12 a can right over the rusty metal and i cant chip or scratch it.
its tough as nails.its the best product ive tested and its dirt cheap.
the por 15 chassis paint was a joke.(not reg por 15)

I understand your frustration I did a frame off restoration on a '70 Cutlass back in the '80s. I used all of Duponts best products and it last as long as a fart in a whirl wind.

I have tried some of Rust-Oleums industrial coatings because a company I use to work with sprayed machine frames with Rust-Oleums enamel and it seemed indestructible, you could beat on it with a hammer and it still looked good, and they sprayed right over bare steel after only a wipe down with lacquer thinner, so I bought one of Rust-Oleums high end 9100 system epoxy for my frame and it seems very tough and scratch resistant, but it should be top coated with their 9400 urethane, because it becomes a little chalky.

How cold was it when you applied the paint?

BonzoHansen
02-04-2011, 12:31:53 AM
I did my frame with por15, hit it with etch primer when it was tacky and then when dry I coated with rustoleum semi gloss black. has been pretty tough.

leafs_11
02-04-2011, 01:06:41 AM
it was warm but i had a heater on the panel for 48 hours to keep it warm also i preheated the metal.and yes i mixed it right
why is the $8 can tremclad almost bulletproof and 300$ a can paint crap?
any other ideas for over 2k epoxy?i might use tremclad
painted over unclean rusty metal with a brush its bullet proof.u cant chip it or scratch it.
im goona try rustoleum too.
and eastwoods is gonna get this crap back.plus an earfull.but i will try one more test to make sure.
can anyone tell me why tremclad is tougher and will it last?
can tremclad be used over 2k?
this piece i painted with por 15 chassis saver has been sitting on my desk for 5 weeks now.its still soft and u can take it off like nothing.
the rattle can duplicolor over uncleaned unscuffed 2k is extremly chip and scratch resistance.
sherwin williams acrylic urethane enamel at $280 a gallon is good for painting garage sale signs or demo cars.
whats going on here? im new to painting cars and know nothing. but how the f#$% does $10 products completely outdo $300 products??????????
i poured brake fliud on the tremclad and duplicolor and it didnt hurt it,

id love a sherwinwilliams or a eastwood rep chip in here.

Rick WI
02-04-2011, 01:55:27 AM
Its not a miracle paint! Your spray conditions are not ideal from the sounds of the post for one thing and say to me it is not fully cured. I have used the Chassis Black since the mid 90's with month issues. My advise is fix your blemishes by feathering out, reshoot the areas and let it fully cure. Which will likely be sometime this coming spring.

leafs_11
02-04-2011, 02:11:05 AM
Its not a miracle paint! Your spray conditions are not ideal from the sounds of the post for one thing and say to me it is not fully cured. I have used the Chassis Black since the mid 90's with month issues. My advise is fix your blemishes by feathering out, reshoot the areas and let it fully cure. Which will likely be sometime this coming spring.
i only did 10 inch square spot on my firewall.my shop was room temerature and i used the heater to keep the test spot warm.so the heat didnt have to run full blast for one test spot.
im going to try another test on a loose part and take it in the house.
i just checked my test spot three days with heat its better but still a disappointment if thats the best it gets.
using a penny marks easy but getting harder to scrarch right through.
im shutting the heat off now its gonna have to cold cure now lol.
maybe im jumping the gun a bit as its better than yesterday,but eastwoods says 24 hours to cure.does it take 3-5 days in not so perfect enviroments?

gramps
02-04-2011, 05:25:33 AM
i agree, i have been using krylon rust-tough paint (like rustolium and tremclad) right out of the rattle can. spray it cold, spray it with the metal warm, it doesnt seem to care and within a day its hard as nails. and a hell of nice finish. i painted my 76 chevy truck with white tremclad i bought 2 gallons at canadian tire, mixed in a little thinner so i could shoot it through the paint gun and trust me the paint booth was FAR from ideal. that halfassed paintjob turned out so nice its unreal. better finish and qualities than the 300 dollar paint i used on my oldsmobile 3 years before. i do like eastwoods rust converting primer however, and have been using that on some spots.

just for thought, heres the tremclad painted truck 2 months after i painted it

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2139/4761/5347380027_large.jpg

77RS
02-04-2011, 06:52:09 AM
I used Eastwood's regular chassis black on the Camaro. It was sprayed in the spring/summer and still took nearly a week to cure. In my case that wasn't a problem. The overall end result turned out great. I'll be using it on the TA as well.

5spd540
02-04-2011, 06:54:29 AM
I por-15 my frame on mine

DCR 1979 Z28
02-04-2011, 01:11:51 PM
I hope this thread continues and we get this figured out, because I still need to paint all my chassis parts, and I have spent considerable time researching what to do.

This is what I know so far.

Automotive paint dose not hold up at all.

The Rust-Oleum 9100 epoxy is about the toughest paint I have seen. You can not scratch with a screw driver, but I can not comment about the 9400 urethane top coat. This system from what I am hearing here and my experience is probably the best. Its a little hard to find, limited colors, and about $100 a gallon.

I wire brushed a rusty rear end cover on my 'burb sprayed it with a galvanizing primer and top coated it with Duplicolor engine paint and so far it is holding up well.

One other note from my experience with the automotive paint I think a thinner finish is more chip resistant.

gramps
02-04-2011, 02:02:49 PM
also on the frame of my camaro i am using black truck bed liner from a spray can napa p/n TR250 it is a duplicolor product sells for about 8 bucks a can. gets rock hard, wont chip off, depending how you spray it will get you either a textured 'bedliner' look or a fairly smooth finish. can be applied with no primer and over bare, clean metal.

been using it on the insides of my fenders, and going to spray the underside of the car when i get that far with it.