View Full Version : parts store brand vs trw/ moog

Camaro16
11-30-2010, 06:16:36 PM
For a street car dose it really matter between the two? Heard some people say they will only use moog but chances are that all the stuff is imported and all comes with a lifetime warranty. The thirty year old stuff hasn't failed so don't buy into that one is so much better. So am i right or wrong?
thank you

RC79camaro
11-30-2010, 06:26:32 PM
Personally I have Moog ball joints, tie rods and idler arm.

Still waiting to be installed: center link, upper and lower control arm bushings, and sway bar bushings. Also new shocks

I did notice a much better difference 30yr old vs new moog. Ill have a better info once the above is replaced.

As far as the moog vs store brand, I cant really say much, I opted for the moog simply for the brand (even tho they prob came from the same place across the pond lol)

frankz
11-30-2010, 06:37:48 PM
I can tell you that the majority of Moog's ball studs are made in the USA by Rockford Products here in Illinois.

The Champ
11-30-2010, 08:22:10 PM
There is a difference between a ball joint made out of Chinese steel and one made her in the states. Moog isn't even the best quality ball joint on the market - I wouldn't consider anything less than Moog on my car.

Personally, if I were replacing ball joints today, I'd buy AC Delco. Recently got to see the difference between Mood and ACD - and the ACD was a much better unit.

badazz81z28
11-30-2010, 08:24:59 PM
Is there really anyway to tell where they are made? Word on the street many suspension parts are reboxed. Including Moog.

Kamikaze
11-30-2010, 08:34:51 PM
It's true that many parts are reboxed or even assembled out of the country! Some of the Moog Boxes are stamped "Made in India".

The problem is compounded when you consider that Moog / TRW / Perfect Circle and other companies have been joined, taken over, sold out, whatever!

Another quality suspension component brand to look for is McQuay-Norris.

There are hardly any 100% Manufactured in the USA brands anymore. You just have to look for the quality name brands and what the retailer offers in warranty.

roysbb
12-01-2010, 11:26:28 AM
Buy the good stuff, if you buy the cheap you may be replacing it in five years.
Some of the cheap stuff may even be sealed (no grease fittings) insuring that they will have to be replaced soon. That is the game, ya know?

Several companies offer complete front end rebuild kits, TRW or Moog stuff, which can bring the cost down to what they want for that cheap disposable chinese junk.

PS. Ever notice the box may say "made in India" (where the box was made) and the actually part has "made in USA" cast into the metal ?

onebad71
12-01-2010, 11:30:11 AM
someone just read the latest issue of camaro performers huh..

Rich Schmidt
12-01-2010, 06:56:02 PM
Haha good thing I have all NOS front end parts sitting in boxes for my car:)

79T/Aman
12-01-2010, 08:18:37 PM
I've never seen a box say MADE in china and have made in usa on the part, I have seen PRINTED in usa with parts made in china but that is about it, many companies have gone to India to make parts.
Moog, TRW, PC, Clevite are all owned by Federal Moguel.

BondoSpecial
12-01-2010, 08:20:23 PM
Moog may be owned by FM but the Moog stuff is all US made or made in Mexico whereas FM stuff comes from all over the place including China, Romania, you name it. Also only Moog tie rod ends that I have bought are forged parts whereas even TRW are cast ends, from what I have purchased personally. You get what you pay for. Don't skimp on chassis parts.

tom3
12-01-2010, 09:22:08 PM
Went to Napa for new tie rods for the Iroc. Got all four boxed in NAPA boxes. Two were from Taiwan, one from China, one with no markings but looked like the old USA TRW piece. What a mess we're in nowadays.

79T/Aman
12-01-2010, 11:37:44 PM
Moog may be owned by FM but the Moog stuff is all US made or made in Mexico whereas FM stuff comes from all over the place including China, Romania, you name it. Also only Moog tie rod ends that I have bought are forged parts whereas even TRW are cast ends, from what I have purchased personally. You get what you pay for. Don't skimp on chassis parts.

I deal with this stuff everyday and I have seen more than one Moog part made in China as well as Turkey!
Moog is NOT the only ones to have forged tie rods, we use parts from Elgin, AFCO, Power Performance and all of them are forged!!!

falloutboy
12-02-2010, 05:21:54 AM
..... one Moog part made in China as well as Turkey!

Turkey is quite good in producing parts. And you can be sure to get good steel - cause they buy all of the German steel.
I got alot of tools from Turkish companies like Izeltas - quite good quality and economical price.

Another example. I have new hubs in my Olds Alero and went with Federal Mogul parts -cause they use bearing made in Palatinate (Rhineland-Palatinate) - and these bearings are pretty good.
(My Mother is from the same region :D )

But to be honest. As most US-Car drivers here in Germany found out, only if the parts are really made in the US, they fit and last and are still really cheap compared to German spare parts for Audi or VW, Mercedes and so on.