View Full Version : How many 2nd gen camaros have survived?

Chief762x39
09-24-2010, 01:23:30 PM
It's probably impossible to get an accurate count, but I'm wondering how many 2nd generation camaros are still around? They made a huge number of them during the late 70's, but I rarely see them on the road anymore and the ones I do see are very dilapidated. When I was in college 12 years ago it seemed like they were much more common. Any idea how many might be left?

Ltguy
09-24-2010, 02:03:52 PM
I see more and more coming around than ever before, in town here we only have a few 2nd gens several years ago maybe a handfull when I got mine and I was 1 of 2 big bumper camaros in the 4 closest towns.... now Ive seen 7 just big bumper 'maros.... atleast im still the only yellow one, makes me feel special :)

badazz81z28
09-24-2010, 02:16:00 PM
I would say at least 50% of them are still around. Most of them live in garages like mine.

81camarosport
09-24-2010, 02:22:10 PM
Yea i see a lot of 2nd gens around the northeast ohio area, i seen some early 2nd gens and then there is about 5-8 2nd gens within a 4 mile radius of me. my 81 is in the backyard and hasnt been registered since 1991, then down the street lives my uncles 1976 Camaro.

1971CamaroGuy
09-24-2010, 02:23:39 PM
That's kinda wierd, because you would think there would be more on the road with the amount made.

I am just now noticing the 3rd generations dissipate more often lately than a few years ago. I still see them, but it might be one every month or so now.

Here's a pic I borrowed from another thread, the owner said it was 1989 when the picture was taken....look in the parking lot.

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/810/tmp8343wg2.jpg

81camarosport
09-24-2010, 02:33:08 PM
Hmmm 1976camaroguy i believe i spy 4 2nd gens in that photo

brooksman9
09-24-2010, 02:45:38 PM
I was just thinking this yesterday. On the way to work wednesday night I saw an early second gen followed by a 66-67 chevelle. Both beautiful cars. Had to have been coming from a cruise in or something. Then while I was out yesterday, I was thinking just that, that you don't see them out anymore. Then, less than a couple of minutes later a 78-79 drove by right in front of me while I was stopped at a light. It needed work but it was running!

hhott71
09-24-2010, 02:48:22 PM
I know where 2 are, about 10 feet from me.

Ltguy
09-24-2010, 03:01:29 PM
Dads got a '73...
Ive got the '76...

and pretty much all of our close friends have some sort of 2nd gen to accompany a 1st, 3rd, 4th, or 5th gen :) some nice, some parts cars behind the barn but none the less 75% of our friends do have beautiful 70-81s driven regularly

edit: no where near daily driven though ha

badazz81z28
09-24-2010, 03:05:00 PM
That's kinda wierd, because you would think there would be more on the road with the amount made.

I am just now noticing the 3rd generations dissipate more often lately than a few years ago. I still see them, but it might be one every month or so now.

Here's a pic I borrowed from another thread, the owner said it was 1989 when the picture was taken....look in the parking lot.

I dont think thats too surprising. Not too many people drive around a 35+ year old car as daily driver. They are locked away. I dont see too many first gens on the road either, but when I go to a local car show there is all of a sudden 20+ of them!!!

71flh
09-24-2010, 03:58:03 PM
Not to thread jack, but I was at a swap meet last weekend and saw exactly two 2nd gens. I know they're out there and fairly common on CL for example. Its just sort of interesting...

Ltguy
09-24-2010, 04:03:27 PM
I dont see too many first gens on the road either, but when I go to a local car show there is all of a sudden 20+ of them!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^ yup, and now that first gens are becoming to cost so much, more and more 2nd gens are coming out of the wood works :bowtie:

81camarosport
09-24-2010, 04:08:03 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^ yup, and now that first gens are becoming to cost so much, more and more 2nd gens are coming out of the wood works :bowtie:

Yea that must be the case with this local guy here in town, he has a 69 Camaro sitting in his yard and it needs restored. But its been sitting there for at least 4 yrs now and he hasnt touched it and he is not selling it either, i know plenty of people that have tried to buy it but he just isnt selling.

al8apex
09-24-2010, 05:12:39 PM

that car looks like the ones that Courtesy Chevrolet would do here in AZ.

Take a "plain" Camaro coupe and add stuff to it to make it look like a Z28 ...

called additional dealer profit

then 30 years later someone is disappointed to find out that their "Z28" is a dealer ADP car ...

adam78
09-24-2010, 05:22:30 PM
This might just be in good old Brick NJ, but in this town alone I'm one of 5 people I know that have a 78-81 as a daily driver, I'm also one of 3 that have more than one 2nd gen :-)

marley81z28
09-24-2010, 05:29:06 PM
Back in the early 90's my friends and I could account for at least four Second Gens.. Unfortunately I am the only one that was able to hold on to mine. I am sure that some of the ones my friends had are still around. But I am not sure cause I never seen them again except one and that was at least ten years ago.

Z28PILOT
09-24-2010, 06:34:44 PM
Camaros have a bad rep for being rustbuckets with the general public , or at least rusting easy. It is very rare to see a 70-81 on the street anymore . I can't remember the last one I saw , not at some show. Between , rust , time, dirt track racing, hotroding and all the other reasons to destroy them and their fair share of wild driving owners and wrecks , the numbers have dwindled quite a bit. In the mid 70's when I owned my first. they were everywhere. You could see 10 T/As with the chicken on the hood in one day alone. I actually see more 1st generation camaros around here than 2 nd. Still alot of 3 rd gens running around, and they are getting the "TEEN" treatment the 2nd gens got for their first 20 years of abuse. The junk yards use to be full of 2nd Gen camaros, metal prices rose and junkers crushed a major part of them. This has helped drive parts prices though the roof. I get way more stares in the old Camaro than the Corvette

scot1074
09-24-2010, 06:54:06 PM
Back when I first started into cars at 15 I thought I was put on this earth to JUNK camaros and mustangs.... There were just soooo many around! I was building a 79 monte with ttops Lime Green, Then a 75 vega.. Then I fell in love! No not my wife: my 77 camaro. by the way I only junked 1 camaro and it was a 75 plain jane. Windows were open for 12 years but that 350 ran great. put it in the monte. NEVER WOULD I DO IT AGAIN (junk a camaro)

wayback
09-27-2010, 01:29:41 AM
Camaros have a bad rep for being rustbuckets with the general public, or at least rusting easy. It is very rare to see a 70-81 on the street anymore. Between rust, time, dirt track racing, hotrodding, and all the other reasons to destroy them--and their fair share of wild diving and wrecks--the numbers have dwindled quite a bit.

In the mid '70s, when I owned my first, they were everywhere. You could see 10 T/As with the chicken on the hood in one day alone. The junk yards used to be full of 2nd Gen camaros; metal prices rose and junkers crushed a major part of them. This has helped drive parts prices though the roof.

I think Z28PILOT has it nailed here.

Wild driving wrecks have probably put thousands of rusty Second Gens into boneyards, where they're becoming harder to find, which makes it harder to return others to the road.

David_56
09-27-2010, 02:05:48 AM
In my town there are 3 daily driven second gens! Me 75fbody and a local circle

track racer! Except mines a pos rustbucket, 75fbody's is pretty nice now.. and

the circle track racer's is a 71 fake rs 600+ horsepower, rock crusher trans, a

nine inch, and hugger orange with white stripes... go figure

Rene Melten
09-27-2010, 02:14:44 AM
See alot more first genies here in the rain forest but then we don't tan we rust.

earlysecond
09-27-2010, 08:26:31 AM
Ineresting topic to be sure.

In the last 5 years I owned one of only two early second generation Camaros in my localality. Ironically both cars were yellow with black stripes. The other guy has a '73 LTZ mine is a base coupe badged as such.

In the time since the transformers movie. . .add 2 MORE yellow and black early seconds. On the weekends that there are 1 of 2 major shows locally, I see MANY early seconds and tons of big and plastic bumper cars around. I own a '70 base coupe and, most recently, I have seen on 2 occasions a MINT '70 Z or clone in an outstanding gold color that is not factory. The car looks and sounds tight and I want to see it up close.

With that said, I ripped my running, driving car apart and almost feel it would be a mistake to paint it yellow/black this time around! Too common although it IS a favorite combination of mine. The "bumblebee" stage was fun, kids love it, I MEAN go nuts love it, but I am looking, this time for something just a bit different.

I hope to see more and more second gens running around. They are great cars and I honestly beleive that the market will improve once again.

Ltguy
09-27-2010, 12:13:19 PM
Ineresting topic to be sure.

In the last 5 years I owned one of only two early second generation Camaros in my localality. Ironically both cars were yellow with black stripes. The other guy has a '73 LTZ mine is a base coupe badged as such.

In the time since the transformers movie. . .add 2 MORE yellow and black early seconds. On the weekends that there are 1 of 2 major shows locally, I see MANY early seconds and tons of big and plastic bumper cars around. I own a '70 base coupe and, most recently, I have seen on 2 occasions a MINT '70 Z or clone in an outstanding gold color that is not factory. The car looks and sounds tight and I want to see it up close.

With that said, I ripped my running, driving car apart and almost feel it would be a mistake to paint it yellow/black this time around! Too common although it IS a favorite combination of mine. The "bumblebee" stage was fun, kids love it, I MEAN go nuts love it, but I am looking, this time for something just a bit different.

I hope to see more and more second gens running around. They are great cars and I honestly beleive that the market will improve once again.

Loved the movie however hated the comments I got about my car and the bumblebee... "your just trying to look like the movie blah blah blah..." amazing how a car thats been the same color for 35 years is then a copy lol i was just glad the whoplah over that 76 was over once the movie was out for a bit.

flowjoe
09-27-2010, 03:44:46 PM
In high school I worked at a retail store chain in Anchorage AK (Pay-n-Save, a lot like Long's Drugs if you know them...pharmacy, photo department, sundries - larger stores had hardware and such). Our's was a small store with about 12 people including managers. In 1982 we collectively owned a '71 Camaro, an '81 Z/28, a '79 Z/28, a '75 TA, a '79 TA, an '78 Firebird Esprit, an '81 Turbo TA and an '82 Z/28 (OK - that one's not a 2nd gen;) ). I guess you could say the 2nd gen Fbody was kinda popular:D.

They were everywhere but we didn't see many 1st gens running around. Like stated above, people drove the living daylights out of the 2nd gens. An circle tracking definitely took it's toll (one to race and several for parts to keep the other car racing). At this point it's kinda of amazing that any of them are around.

I see some locally now and again and I know where a few are out of service being worked on. I myself can account for 5 - a '70, three '71s and a '73 I stripped and parted out.

david.rosol
09-27-2010, 11:57:14 PM
I drive my 77RS as a daily driver every day... sometimes it scares me - not the car itself, but the other crazies driving around me... One time I was rear ended by an Isuzu Rodeo... busted the heck out of the lady's front end to where her radiator was leaking - it did nothing to my car except put a gash in the rubber strip around the rear bumper. By the way, she was texting. One thing I really like about the big bumpers... they do a lot of front and rear protecting. I'd be telling a different story had it been my 80Z with the plastic bumpers. For a while though, my 77 sat in my garage for over a year for some resto work... until this past July, but now it's "still" a resto work in progress... One day it will look as good as new and shine again.:) I've seen maybe 4 2nd gens in my area on a regular basis... all 78 - 81's needing work... Only at car shows do I see the 70-73's come out, and those are few, and then I have the only big bumper in the area that I know of. Some people mistake my Camaro and ask me "what year my trans-am" is... I can only reply, "Are you serious???"

Rene Melten
09-28-2010, 01:36:16 AM
Can relate david, bought a '82 Z28 in March '82, that first week I had to stop at a crosswalk in front of a high school and was absolutely mobbed by teenagers when some asked if it was a "Ferrari". LOL.

Z28PILOT
09-28-2010, 01:55:07 AM
Can relate david, bought a '82 Z28 in March '82, that first week I had to stop at a crosswalk in front of a high school and was absolutely mobbed by teenagers when some asked if it was a "Ferrari". LOL.

LMAO.........great story thanks:)

hogg
09-28-2010, 02:14:27 AM
l am sorry to say i know of 6 i put to bed after parting out,and no telling how meney 1st and 2nd gen firebirds, back then where only good for parts for camaros.

Rene Melten
09-28-2010, 02:30:16 AM
Well I sold the '75, sold '82 Z, took off all the parts of the '74 Z that were needed, took all the parts off the '80 Z that were needed to build the '73 rs. Hope nobody holds it against me, but all were not crushed.

Z28SSRS
09-28-2010, 01:34:39 PM
I know of 3 2nd gen Camaros here in my local area. I have a 1978 Z28 that I bought new in July, 1978, that I still drive on a regular basis. My first Camaro, a 1975 Type LT that I bought new and sold to buy the '78 Z28, is owned by a local couple that love it. Lastly an older couple used to own a 1976 Rally Sport that they sold to a local dealer here. It is currently owned by someone who lives locally here as I do see it, although rarely.

joe-balls
09-28-2010, 01:58:43 PM
About 6-7 drive around here that i see, i own 4 and my cousin owns 2 but out of those 6 only one (my 81) is road worthy lol. but i do see some in peoples back yards. Allot of 3rd gens around though. Only 2 70-73's and i havent seen one 74-77 around here at all.

GOLF72
09-28-2010, 07:59:23 PM
When I read the original start of this thread, I thought to myself...you know, I really have not seen to many 2nd Gens out on the streets. Seems the 1st Gens are cruising the streets (ate least out here in Cali)

In fact, I was at the Barrett Jackson Auction in Vegas this past weekend. There were countless 1st Gens and three 1970 Camaros. There were just three 2nd Gens and not one Big Bumper.

The few car shows I have been to with my ride I am always the only BB Camaro. I never win but again, my car is not painted either. LOL

High Country Z
09-28-2010, 08:06:41 PM
With over 30,000 members on this forum, I think it's safe to assume that the majority of the members here own at least 1 second gen.

badazz81z28
09-28-2010, 08:12:54 PM
With over 30,000 members on this forum, I think it's safe to assume that the majority of the members here own at least 1 second gen.

In comparison to how many 2nd gens were made, this is not very many.

High Country Z
09-28-2010, 08:18:14 PM
In comparison to how many 2nd gens were made, this is not very many.
True, but not every 2nd gen owner is a member here either, although they should be.

Rich Schmidt
09-28-2010, 08:27:56 PM
I am a 2nd gen murderer. Thanks to me,all the cars you guys own are becomeing rare.

onelapduster
09-28-2010, 09:36:02 PM
Lets do some quick statistical guessing.
Of all the Camaros built between 1970 and 1981 there was a total of 1,936,869......Yes....1.9 million 2nd gens where built.
It has been 40 years since the introduction of the 2nd gen. Lets just say that 25% of each years total cars are lost to wrecks, nature, racing (crashed), junked (crushed). Which is 484,217 Camaros gone to the great junk yard in the sky.
Lets knock another 10% off for all of those cars out in fields never to be restored because some day it will be fixed...."Only if I can win the lottery...". And all of the cars built as dedicated drag cars that will never see the street. And all of the cars used in dirt track racing still slinging dirt around the tracks. This will also account for all of the cars sitting in junk yards never to be sold. And also account for any car exported because these cars are that cool! Which is 145,265.
Now lets take out all of the cars that are being worked on, not on the road, in collections, behind or in a barn, or in some way possible to be put back on the road if the right person found it or is in the process of putting it back together and are QQ registered as antiques only to be driven on the weekend. Lets say 20% (Due to the popularity of this style). Which is 261,477.
That leaves us a grand total of 1,045,909 Camaros. Lets take out 1% (10,459) for all the cars that could be in any of the US territories or with US service members overseas. Now lets divide evenly the rest between the lower 48 States and our northern brothers in Canada. That is 21,131 PER State and Canada which are out there roaming the streets.

Now depending on how big a state is obviously that number would increase and for smaller states it would decrease.

But also consider the number of people who own these cars who dont use the internet and just enjoy their car. These people also dont show their cars or consider them anything special because its just a car. Lets say 5%, or 51,772, which leaves you with just 20,075 per State and Canada.

So, really if you played with those numbers or made up other variables there are plenty out there. Dont let EBAYMOTORS be your only source for gauging how many Camaros are still out there up for grabs. There are too many little towns throughout North America that have small car lots or areas that still have plenty of old cars around on the roads. I was recently in Coose Bay Oregon, and there where so many older vehicles I was breaking my neck all the time.

chevy-stu
09-28-2010, 10:06:52 PM
Not sure how many ever came to the UK, but I'm sure the number would be well into the multiple thousands since 1970.. Add the rest of Europe, Japan and other countries and that accounts for a quite a few.
Doubt if many have survived, as they're very rare here now and I quite a few that are projects, Strip only cars or sitting as parts donors..

tropman
09-28-2010, 10:30:21 PM
Ive got a 78 and a 78 z woot woot the plain one is my daily driver though kickin it old school....... or just showin my age lol

rtanner
09-29-2010, 12:08:42 PM
My town has population of 4000, there's 4 second gens here running driving!!!

iceman
09-29-2010, 01:22:10 PM
I know I have one stored since 1978 hope to be on the road again this Spring :)

1BAD78
09-29-2010, 02:43:32 PM
i have three including mine in my neiborhood.

alot of them have probably rusted away. the second gens i hate to say this are rust buckets

Z28PILOT
09-29-2010, 03:36:57 PM
I am a 2nd gen murderer. Thanks to me,all the cars you guys own are becomeing rare.

... LMAO...GREAT QUOTE !!! :D

Z28PILOT
09-29-2010, 03:47:21 PM
Recently a friend told me of a 1980 black 4 psd Z for sale about 5 miles from house. ....located along a busy road side, not a car lot , private owner at a locate business where the car was parked.

He knew I liked 2 gens , so he stopped and looked along with several other folks also checking it out. Had a fair share of rust ( whoda thunk) , but was very original and a 4 spd. 4995.00

I went next day to see for my self , it was sold. :rolleyes:

It sat there ONE DAY . GONE !

Just don't see'em down here. Good to see car people still interested in them.

LOTS of NEW CAMARO SS zooming around everywhere.

Chief762x39
09-29-2010, 07:30:53 PM
I have only seen one other on the road in the entire county I live in. It's a big bumper car and in very rough shape. According to onelapduster's calculations though, it appears there must be a number of survivors still out there.

z28rod
09-30-2010, 12:44:01 AM
just search thru craigslist, they are getting rare ........

Rene Melten
09-30-2010, 12:44:37 AM
True, but not every 2nd gen owner is a member here either, although they should be. Constantly running into 2nd Genie owners up here and mention Nasty, long storey short, I feel like an ambassador for Nasty Z28. They are suprised when I say "30,000 MEMBERS, info is endless etc....."

iregret
10-01-2010, 12:58:29 AM
Whenever I see a second gen I leave a nastyz28 business card.

I don't see many second gens anymore. Especially 70-73.

asphaltburner
10-01-2010, 01:13:03 AM
Yo! We're still out here on the road in Northern Colorado,...me and my '76! We're in it for the duration!

Rarely see another on the road anymore. I do see a number of restored '70-'73 cars at shows.

Todd.

80WA7113
10-01-2010, 09:48:26 AM
Here's one more:

I just picked up a 1979 sport coupe---was planning on using it for parts until I gave it a good going over, then I changed my mind. It's an all original (including most of the paint) very solid low mile (52,xxx) survivor that's in unbelieveable original condition for it's age. I found the build sheet---this was a customer order car. Non A/C, clear glass, manual brakes, AM radio, but it DOES have posi! It came with RPO codes GM8 (2.56 gears) and G80 (limited slip)

I'm going to throw a "light" resto on this car (because that's all it needs!) The panels on the car are all original and have never had any repair work done---floors and frame rails are as solid as new...even the doors are clean on the bottm side along the seams! I'm also planning on keeping the original 250 L22 engine -- Although there were 21,913 straight 6's made in 1979, that was only 7.7% of the total production for 1979 (282,571 total). In addition, 1979 was the last year for the straight-6 in the Camaro---so in keeping with the "theme" of this thread, I wonder how many of the L22 cars have survived?

I will post in the "PROJECT" section once the restor work begins

(PS: I landed this jewel for $800...I think I did ok!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/engine1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/engine2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/engine4.jpg

wayback
10-07-2010, 01:58:43 AM
^^^ I think you did better than "ok!"

vfw_1168
10-07-2010, 02:40:26 AM
i have an 81 in a 4 speed with a borg warner tranny , it is a Z/28 and t top and the build sheet was with it ... hard to believe but only 8% was a 4 speed in Z/28 out of around 40 k cars built in 81 total number in 81 was 126k mine came from the norwood ohio plant... i picked mine up this year from northern ohio where it was driven every day for 3400 and now it in a work in progress and a garage queen

Z28PILOT
10-07-2010, 11:27:04 AM
Inline 6's tend to be long lived engines. ;) Its just now broken in good. If you use a good high zinc motor oil . It might live another 30 years.

80WA7113
10-07-2010, 06:42:17 PM
^^^ I think you did better than "ok!"

Thank you, actually, I do too! :)

Inline 6's tend to be long lived engines. ;) Its just now broken in good. If you use a good high zinc motor oil . It might live another 30 years.

Very true! Regular maintenance, and NOT beating it will also help in it's continued longevity as well! ;)

Captain America
10-07-2010, 07:04:12 PM
Just saying, but how do you know theres not a 1 or a 2 in front of the 5? That happened with mine, and we just recently founr out it had 180k miles or so on it. All original to.

I was amazed at the fact that it only had "80"k miles haha.

But on a brighter note, you did way better than me, although mines still a beauty :D

80WA7113
10-07-2010, 09:01:18 PM
Just saying, but how do you know theres not a 1 or a 2 in front of the 5? That happened with mine, and we just recently founr out it had 180k miles or so on it. All original to.

I was amazed at the fact that it only had "80"k miles haha.

But on a brighter note, you did way better than me, although mines still a beauty :D

Thanks for the compliment! :)

To address the mileage, I have actaully noted a number of indicators that substantiate the low mileage shown on this cars odometer...for example:

There are no wear holes anywhere in the carpet, and the carpet is original

The dash pad is NOT cracked. In fact, it is still soft and pliable!!

The seat bolsters are not worn and torn from getting in and out---the seats are original as indicated by fade.

The seatbelts (particularly the driver side) are not worn fuzzy on the edges from use

The brake pedal dang near looks like new, with minimal wear slightly visible on the lower RH corner

The armrests show no physical wear, only fade

The steering wheel has extremely nice grain all the way around

The door panels don't show wear around the door pulls, or on top

The extremely nice condition of the dash bezel---note the silver trim

The paint on the car is original (you can tell this by the micro-checking in the paint, as well as areas where the paint has weathered off--common aging process signs for the lacquer paint that was used in 1979) I would imagine that a 31 year old 152,xxx or 252,xxx car would have been repainted at some point

In addition, the body on this car is in VERY good condition. This car was a northern Indiana car. It was sold in South Bend, (see the build sheet pic) and spent it's entire life in the South Bend / Mishawaka area. (Anyone familiar with this area of the state knows that every time the wind blows from the NW off the lake, 12" of snow falls---kinda like a mini-Buffalo) I don't believe this car could have seen much winter driving. The floors are solid and rear frame rails look like new--the only real rust I have to reapair is on the lower tail panel...not at all what you'd expect from a 31 year old salt belt car.

There are more "mileage indicators" I could mention, but I think you get the idea ;)

So, given the few things mentioned above (and others), I absolutely believe this to be an actual 52,431 mile car

THOMAS81Z
10-07-2010, 09:10:52 PM
did anybody get a 2nd gen with the 2 postion driver back seat??? i know they had the option but i have never seen one

Rich Schmidt
10-07-2010, 10:01:44 PM
Hey SS. I think my 79 was your car's twin. Same blue,same blue cloth interior. Mine was a 305 4 speed no console stripper with a 3.08 posi. I also found the build sheet for mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/79one.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/79two.jpg

But now it looks more like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/Car%20pics/black733.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/Car%20pics/black732.jpg

Apparently I am not the only guy sporting this look.This one is however a real 1970 camaro pro stocker that had later bumpers put on it over the years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/Car%20pics/prostock6.jpg

Rich Schmidt
10-07-2010, 10:22:25 PM
Not a survivor,but a lot of organs lived on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/scrapheap1.jpg

This one was DOA long before I got my hands on it:( Even it lives on is some small ways.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/Car%20pics/73Camaro.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/Car%20pics/project7399-1.jpg

Rich Schmidt
10-07-2010, 10:35:41 PM
Yeah, kind of like Chevy's version of the leaning tower of power:)

We had a guy with a slant six in an old truck that threw a rod out the side of the block. He used a big screwdriver thru the hole in the block to shove the piston up as far as it would go,then stuffed rags in the hole in the block and drove it like that every day for as long as I can remember. It would smoke the block out when he started it and banged like a jackhammer and kept running.

I had a 250 stovebolt in my 79 chevy pickup. 3 on the tree 10 series. I was building a super tow rig out of it. I started by adding a 4.56 geared dually rear and springs to it,then swapped in a granny gear 4 speed,and finally added a V8. With the granny gear 4 speed and 4.56's the little sewing machine 6 would throw my head against the back window at the tap of the gas. It lasted a long time,then I swapped in a handfull of V8's all of which died nearly instant death behind that gearing combo. That little 6 ran like a champ until the day I yanked it.

Straight 6's rock!

AEGIS43
10-08-2010, 12:41:06 AM
I can't believe I've finally seen someone who put an early 2nd gen back glass (and C-pillars) on a late 2nd gen body. Far out! I used to fantasize about that, thinking I'd never find a '70 - '73 car I could afford. Way cool.

Not to bag on '75 - '81 cars, though. They've grown on me a lot over the past couple years. All 2nd gens are sweet to me.

80WA7113
10-08-2010, 06:39:10 AM
Hey SS. I think my 79 was your car's twin. Same blue,same blue cloth interior. Mine was a 305 4 speed no console stripper with a 3.08 posi. I also found the build sheet for mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/79one.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/79two.jpg

But now it looks more like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/Car%20pics/black733.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/Car%20pics/black732.jpg

Apparently I am not the only guy sporting this look.This one is however a real 1970 camaro pro stocker that had later bumpers put on it over the years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/Car%20pics/prostock6.jpg

Ahhhh...a 4 speed car! Looks like you put a heck of a lot of work into the body. I like the custom look as much as I like all stock---very cool! Did you keep the dash 79 or did you go retro on it too?

Rich Schmidt
10-08-2010, 11:11:08 AM
I went with the interior including the dash out of my 74 Camaro parts car.

As for the rear glass job,I actually fabbed everything. The car originally had some small spots of rust right on the outside of the window channel to 1/4 panel edge. I decided to cut the existing 79 1/4 about 1/2" outside of where it turned into the wndow opening,as well as drill out the welds that held the window bed to the inner structure. I then pie cut it in a few places and bent it up to follow the curve of the old style glass. I then added a filler to the inner structure and a filler to the outer panel and blended it all with plastic. Belive it or not,the window molding is held in place by the original window trim studs and clips from the 79. All told it took me 1 full vacation day off work and about $25 in materials since I already owned the rear glass,molding and interior trim. The entre job is also GM born with steel. The car had a trunk lid on it that had a lot of rust on the inner structure,and a hood that I cut for a snorkle scoop. I used both of them as donors for the metal work. I didnt need an early car for any of the metal work.

AEGIS43
10-08-2010, 11:25:16 AM
Incredible! Never would have guessed that. Great job and very cool car. Are you going to leave the post- '73 tail panel for the "freak factor?" If I saw it on the road I would definitely be saying to myself, "What THE ... !"

CMitchell
10-08-2010, 12:23:55 PM
I was thinking about this last week. I was looking at all the pictures that my cousin and I had from all of our dirt track cars. He has trashed 11 camaro's over the years before he moved up to a tube built car. I would be scared to guess how many camaro's have died to become a dirt car.

Rich Schmidt
10-08-2010, 09:28:41 PM
Incredible! Never would have guessed that. Great job and very cool car. Are you going to leave the post- '73 tail panel for the "freak factor?" If I saw it on the road I would definitely be saying to myself, "What THE ... !"

This one is destined to die,or at least be stripped and sold as a shell. I am restoring my 73,and it needs a lot of metal work,such as full toe board to tail light floors,rear rails,full 1/4's roof skin ect. I want to save the car,but need years to do it. I threw the engine,trans,rear,suspention,dash,glass nose,doors and a ton of other stuff into this 79 and have been cruising it. The 79 is a non A/C car which turns me off too. I am throwing around a lot of ideas about what to do with my cars right now, and winter is coming which makes it a lot nicer to drive the 79 since the heat really cranks. It will be around a while and will eventually be offered as a rolling project when I finally take all the stuff back off it. Its not a bad car, the outside is super solid,the floors had some holes,but are now all patched solid but mostly with home made patches. Not a good candidate for a serious resto,but a great project for a driver. I have a brand new tail panel,rear lights,bumper,brackets and all that stuff. I could easily just graft it all together,but I would rather have a real 73.

Its sportin the interior and dash out of my 74 parts car

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/Car%20pics/interior1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/racer7391/Car%20pics/interior3.jpg

AEGIS43
10-08-2010, 09:51:09 PM
Any way you can keep both, Rich? You have put so much time into this "early 2nd gen '79" and so radically changed what it is. It's definitely like a Frankenstein. It all seems so cool to me. Plus, you can bomb drive the thing during New Jersey winters. After all you've done to it, it seems like rigging up AC would be one of the easier adds you could do.

Rich Schmidt
10-09-2010, 12:29:22 AM
If I could afford to have 3 cars I might. The fact is that EVERYTHING in the way of front end sheet metal and doors ect has to go to the other car. Thats all real GM rust free,dent free steel and trim from the firewall foward. On fenderbender now and I am screwed. There is an entire pump gas 12 second drivetrain with less the 1000 miles from radiator to diff cover in there too. I still am throwing a few ideas around though.

Right now,my race car is a 56,000 original mile rust free 73 Firebird that runs low 10's and weighs 3500# with a bone stock chassis. I really need a lighter race car,and preferably one with bigger tires. I own a complete backhalf kit and roll cage brand new in boxes,but cant bring myself to hack up the virgin floor and frame. I should really just put all the daily driver stuff into the Firebird,and maybe even hang the sheet metal on it and make it a Camaro,then take the 73 Camaro which needs everything underneath anyway,and make it a backhalf race car with a glass nose and doors ect,and put my race car drivetrain in that. I was actually thinking that I could build 2 identical cars,one street car,and one race car,both with the same wheels and all. The up side to this,is that the Firebird has an A/C firewall, doesnt need any metal work underneath, and I could sell the Firebird specific sheet metal from the doors foward and walk away with enough money to buy all new Camaro sheet metal for the back end of the car. After I swap over all the rear 1/4's,tail panel,wheel houses ect. I can just add the doors and nose from the frankenstien car. As for the 73 Camaro race car,if I make it a race car I wouldnt be as fussy about the body anyway. I would fix the rust around the window beds with weld in patches and cover it with filler and just throw lower skins on it. That would save me a ton of money right there. No drop offs,no wheel houses,or trunk floor,just lower 1/4's,tubs and a fabbed up floor.

Who knows. At this point I have a lot of good ideas,but the thought of going from 2 running cars and 1 pile of parts to 3 piles of parts isnt very inviting.

73 Z
10-09-2010, 01:30:45 AM
I can account for 1 73 Z.

AEGIS43
10-09-2010, 12:29:43 PM
Oh, a NICE '73 Firebird ... Well, that puts a whole new paintjob on things. Dang Rich, you are in a bit of a quandry. What to do with two bitchin' 2nd gens and one frankenstein ....

I too have fantasized about having visually identical rods - one race car and one street car (I'm a road race fan, i.e. Trans Am, but not so much tall wheels and rubberband tires). There's a line there where your street car isn't so much fun on the street anymore and your race car is REALLY not ok on the street. You know, you have the need for speed, but home and work aren't connected by a drag strip.

I definitely agree with prioritizing the cars that are more corrosion and damage free. If anything, make frankenstein the race car. If you can bring yourself to pony-ing up to keeping three F-bodies, that is.

'70 - '73 Firebirds, Trans Ams, Formulas are WAY special. When I'm looking at one of them I'm not thinking "too bad it's not a Camaro ..." And vice-versa.

Rich Schmidt
10-09-2010, 01:37:31 PM
Oh, a NICE '73 Firebird ... Well, that puts a whole new paintjob on things. Dang Rich, you are in a bit of a quandry. What to do with two bitchin' 2nd gens and one frankenstein ....

I too have fantasized about having visually identical rods - one race car and one street car (I'm a road race fan, i.e. Trans Am, but not so much tall wheels and rubberband tires). There's a line there where your street car isn't so much fun on the street anymore and your race car is REALLY not ok on the street. You know, you have the need for speed, but home and work aren't connected by a drag strip.

I definitely agree with prioritizing the cars that are more corrosion and damage free. If anything, make frankenstein the race car. If you can bring yourself to pony-ing up to keeping three F-bodies, that is.

'70 - '73 Firebirds, Trans Ams, Formulas are WAY special. When I'm looking at one of them I'm not thinking "too bad it's not a Camaro ..." And vice-versa.

The frankenstien is actually way nicer then the 73 Camaro. Since I would only be basically using the subframe and about 10 square feet of the body from the real 73 camaro when building a new race car especially if I were to go with a new roof and 1/4's it makes more sense to cut that one up. The race car project would have the firewall removed and relocated back to the base of the windsheild,all the inner structure cut out of the roof and 1/4's, ect. I would end up keeping the inner and outer rockers, front section of the door jams and A pilars from whatever car I use. In the back I would probably just weld a new roof skin to new 1/4's and a new filler panel and tail panel with nothing else inside them,just tabs hold them all to the roll bar.

As far as identical rods,the irony is that back in the early 80's a previous owner had my car as a 10 second street race car and flat towed it behind an identical Firebird. When I bought the car it still had the tow tabs on it. The scary part is that when he owned my car,it was all steel even the hood,and still had the heavy front bumpr,had all the A/C stuff in it and the full stock interior along with an iron headed LS6 bigblock and th400. The car weighed 4100# and he was towing it with a Firebird.

AEGIS43
10-09-2010, 08:07:06 PM
Well, whatever you decide to do, please photo document it and post. The whole deal you've got going there is just bad ass.

That guy flat towing a 10-second 2-ton Firebird with an identical street Firebird is CRAZY! So awesome! Damn, those were the days when men were men and Hondas were for queers.

And I, for one, would encourage you to keep Firebirds Firebirds and Camaros Camaros. In my opinion, neither takes a back seat to the other. And this means from the beginning in 1967, all the way to the end in 2002.

brooksman9
10-11-2010, 12:23:29 PM
Saw this one in the Kroger parking lot when we went out yesterday. Looked like an older resto. Never did see the owner. Need to get me some of those SGCOG cards printed out.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/brooksman9/car%20show/RallySportatKroger.jpg

BigBen
10-11-2010, 07:19:40 PM
did anybody get a 2nd gen with the 2 postion driver back seat??? i know they had the option but i have never seen one

I got that on mine,kind of useless but I have it.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj235/bigben_036/Z28/DSCN0043.jpg

Captain America
10-13-2010, 12:13:26 AM
Thanks for the compliment! :)

To address the mileage, I have actaully noted a number of indicators that substantiate the low mileage shown on this cars odometer...for example:

There are no wear holes anywhere in the carpet, and the carpet is original

The dash pad is NOT cracked. In fact, it is still soft and pliable!!

The seat bolsters are not worn and torn from getting in and out---the seats are original as indicated by fade.

The seatbelts (particularly the driver side) are not worn fuzzy on the edges from use

The brake pedal dang near looks like new, with minimal wear slightly visible on the lower RH corner

The armrests show no physical wear, only fade

The steering wheel has extremely nice grain all the way around

The door panels don't show wear around the door pulls, or on top

The extremely nice condition of the dash bezel---note the silver trim

The paint on the car is original (you can tell this by the micro-checking in the paint, as well as areas where the paint has weathered off--common aging process signs for the lacquer paint that was used in 1979) I would imagine that a 31 year old 152,xxx or 252,xxx car would have been repainted at some point

In addition, the body on this car is in VERY good condition. This car was a northern Indiana car. It was sold in South Bend, (see the build sheet pic) and spent it's entire life in the South Bend / Mishawaka area. (Anyone familiar with this area of the state knows that every time the wind blows from the NW off the lake, 12" of snow falls---kinda like a mini-Buffalo) I don't believe this car could have seen much winter driving. The floors are solid and rear frame rails look like new--the only real rust I have to reapair is on the lower tail panel...not at all what you'd expect from a 31 year old salt belt car.

There are more "mileage indicators" I could mention, but I think you get the idea ;)

So, given the few things mentioned above (and others), I absolutely believe this to be an actual 52,431 mile car

Thats amazing. Almost everything you said is the opposite in my car :D
Except the snow, i live in texas so we dont get that very often.

Only noticeable body damage on mine is some sort of dent? on the driver side rear fender, and some paint smudges on the hood. But its definetley in the 100ks. When i got mine, the radio was held up in a cardboard box, it had a CB radio mounted on the center console, glasspacks underneath the doors, and so forth. We had to drive 3 hours south of dallas to pick it up, so im not all that surprised though

x Wild Bill x
10-15-2010, 04:44:02 PM
I just picked up a 79 Camaro in pretty good shape. Out of all the cars that go to a cruise night on either Mondays or Tuesdays around here with 200+ cars, I usually see one 2nd gen, if that. Same for 4th gens, it's weird...

Bill

BOYMECHANIC
03-01-2011, 05:14:02 PM
Here's one more:

I just picked up a 1979 sport coupe---was planning on using it for parts until I gave it a good going over, then I changed my mind. It's an all original (including most of the paint) very solid low mile (52,xxx) survivor that's in unbelieveable original condition for it's age. I found the build sheet---this was a customer order car. Non A/C, clear glass, manual brakes, AM radio, but it DOES have posi! It came with RPO codes GM8 (2.56 gears) and G80 (limited slip)

I'm going to throw a "light" resto on this car (because that's all it needs!) The panels on the car are all original and have never had any repair work done---floors and frame rails are as solid as new...even the doors are clean on the bottm side along the seams! I'm also planning on keeping the original 250 L22 engine -- Although there were 21,913 straight 6's made in 1979, that was only 7.7% of the total production for 1979 (282,571 total). In addition, 1979 was the last year for the straight-6 in the Camaro---so in keeping with the "theme" of this thread, I wonder how many of the L22 cars have survived?

I will post in the "PROJECT" section once the restor work begins

(PS: I landed this jewel for $800...I think I did ok!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/engine1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/engine2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/camaro8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/73L48Dave/1979%20Camaro/engine4.jpg

wow that is the niceist camaro interior ive ever seen looks like you need carpet and thats it nice score $800 man i got mine for $300 and it was a pos rusted frame rails and all but i love it 2nd gens are going to more rare the 1st gens just wait and see

jroach
03-01-2011, 05:38:00 PM
man i would love to get my hands on a nice 6cyl. sport coupe. there can't be many of those left.

Rene Melten
03-01-2011, 07:44:23 PM
That's a rare find, didn't even really think they existed, untill now.

ProStreet78z28
03-01-2011, 07:56:51 PM
wow that is the niceist camaro interior ive ever seen looks like you need carpet and thats it nice score $800 man i got mine for $300 and it was a pos rusted frame rails and all but i love it 2nd gens are going to more rare the 1st gens just wait and see

How do you all know its really a 52K miles survivor? I have a few cars with 50K miles and they still look new. My guess is really 154K since there was no 6th digit to prove it.

jroach
03-01-2011, 11:50:39 PM
4th gens are everywhere around here. theres probly a dozen of em just on campus ath the community college. thirds are getting more rare,but i still see em. i knowof several 2nd gens around here but i rarely see them on the road.

Domobomb
03-02-2011, 02:28:34 AM
I've seen a '78 Trans Am last year, but other than that I don't really see 2nd gens on the road in my city. My '79 Z28 is a daily. I drive it to the college every day except in the rain. It gets stored for winter.

There's also my Dad's '74 formula. He wants to sell it though. I'd sell my Z28 for it, but the car's a bit too powerful to be my daily, with the '69 YS 400, and 4.10 gears.

Domobomb
03-02-2011, 04:05:14 AM
Last summer we had a Tornado roll through the area. There was an article in the news about it and this is the header picture they used.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/Domobomb/w-leamington-storm-damage-pedler-100606.jpg

Death by tree!

Rene Melten
03-02-2011, 04:57:36 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/Domobomb/w-leamington-storm-damage-pedler-100606.jpg

Death by tree!

Poor Camaro died in it's sleep. Usually it's the other way around.