View Full Version : correct carb linkage for 700R4 t.v. cable

need-for-speed
07-08-2004, 08:16:00 PM
I've had my t.v. cable hooked to the original detent cable spot on my Edelbrock carb and it drives pretty good but wonder if using the correct geometry might improve downshifts and delay the 3-4 upshift.

I see California Perfomance Transmissions (Art Carr) has an adapter for the Edelbrock carb but they want $38 for this piece of metal !! Do you guys know any other sources or a good drawing so I can make one?

thanks

------------------
2000 Corvette hardtop black, 6 speed, Halltech Tric cold air intake w/nylon MAF ends, Corsa Touring cat back exhaust w/pro tips, Taylor wires, 1/4 mile: 12.918 @ 111.29 mph on stock EMT's 330 rwhp, 342 rwt on MTI's dyno, 3075 lbs

79 Camaro 355 CID, Edelbrock intake, Edelbrock 600 cfm carb, Edelbrock performer 64 cc alum cyl heads, comp cams extreme energy 262 cam, erson roller rockers, hooker headers, Mallory Comp 9000, 3.42 posi, 700R4 rebuilt w/ B&M kit, 2400 stall converter w/ TCI lockup kit, energy suspension f.e. rebuild, 1-1/4 front sway bar, 5/8 rear bar

67 Camaro, 327 w/ a 'glide , waiting on "funding"

SpeedAddict02
07-08-2004, 08:41:00 PM
When I switched over to the 700r4, I was highly advised by a number of members on this board to get this right. The geometry of this hookup is very important to the operation of this transmission..

I got the kit from www.700r4.com (http://www.700r4.com) .. Check out the site.. And the tvmadeez article..I got their kit for my performer 750 carb.. Pricey. Yes. But it is correct. And easy to install.

------------------
1981 Z28
400c.i.SBC/Edelbrock 750/Performer Intake/1-5/8" headers/MSD 6A w/HEI/700R-4/3.42posi-trac/B&M QuickSilver/3rd Gen Steering Box/KYB's /28"rear tires & a real heavy foot!!

need-for-speed
07-08-2004, 09:49:00 PM
Yeah, I've always read the same thing. I did spend a lot of time getting mine adjusted right and it shifts good. But I think I may do the Bowtie O.D. set up. I'm gonna read through those volumes and volumes of info on their website. Thanks. How did it work for you ?

wayner
07-09-2004, 09:23:00 AM
Here is a link to a site that sells the correct geometry corrector for the edelbrock carb. for $27.30

http://www.powerglide.com/parts/parts/AS3-03K.htm

Correct geometry is very inportant, read what that site says about the correct geometry for an edelbrock carb.

------------------
70 Camaro Z/28 with 461cu.in. BBC & OD Auto, 3.31 12 bolt posi.

need-for-speed
07-09-2004, 07:27:00 PM
Thanks Wayner !!! That looks a lot better. I like the info and kit on bowtie overdrive, but really, my t.v. cable and cable mounting hardware works fine...I really didn't feel like spending $119.

I don't mind spending $27. Have you used this? Are there good instructions on the set-up? It looks like it just bolts on where the existing ball stud goes.

Aceshigh
07-09-2004, 07:51:00 PM
Yeah, I'm interested too. I just made the switchover as well a month ago. Does this thing really make a difference?? Any tranny guys in here that can vouch for it's necessity??

Jakeshoe, Chris ??

SpeedAddict02
07-09-2004, 11:12:00 PM
I'd also like to see what they have to say about that product.. I've seen it b4.. But with the BTO kit, they give you a bracket that attaches to the carb linkage, a special cable for that linkage, and a different spring for the valve in the va;vebody that must be used also..

I've been driving mine since March.. Took a few adjustments to get it right.. But now it shifts good in all gears.. Little soft for me, but its a stock trans.. I plan on rebuilding it and installing a trans go kit this summer.. As well as the H.D sun gear shell, better clutch packs, band, boost valves, vette servo & 10-vane pump..

I also run it with the stock converter.. Which I know is hurting my performance.. Car is like a dog off the line compared to the way it use to be.. But with the rebuild, I will probably add a B&M Holeshot 2400..

Anyways, I'll check back to find out about that bracket.. lol

need-for-speed
07-10-2004, 04:34:00 PM
Sounds like you're skeptical based on the "lol" . I understand. There's a big difference in the 2 prices and approaches. I'm going to do more research before I buy but: there is nothing special about their t.v. cable . I also don't understand why the spring in the tranny needs to be changed. As I recall, it's just a return spring. It's not like it's part of a regulator. I think I'll look in the service manual I have for the 700R4. I got my 700R4 (4L60) transmission out of a '92 Camaro w/ a 305 so it already had the extra clutch plates and 10 vane pump. I got the O.E.M. t.v. cable w/ the tranny and it works just fine. We rebuilt mine w/ the B&M rebuild kit and we added the corvette servo and the W.O.T. kit. I also used a t.c. w/ a stall about 200 rpm higher than stock and my transmission shifts nicely. With the old tires (215 70R 14) is would do a burnout at the 1-2 shift (not just a chirp) and get a 3rd gear scratch too. So it shifts good, although it shifts at a lower rpm than I would like (unless I shift manually). That's what I'm hoping to cure. So, my dilema is which solution to buy. I'll keep researching it.
Does anyone have any pics of their new and improved bracket? Please post here or email to me at mmugnier@gt.rr.com My t.v.cable connection on the carb is already very close to the A/C compressor bracket.

SpeedAddict02
07-10-2004, 09:02:00 PM
I didnt mean the "lol" in a sarcastic way or anything like that.. But I am curious as to whether or not the other kit will perform properly..

The cable that comes with the BTO kit isnt special per-say, but you cant use a stock-type cable with their kit.. The difference is on the end. Their cable has a ball-end, like a bicycle brake cable does. That ball goes into the bracket and allows it to pivot with the bracket as the throttle is moved..

The spring, i dont remember exactly why. But I may double-check their site and my instructions, I can find them, to find out why you gotta change the spring.. But I do remember them saying you gotta use it.. Think it may be a tad shorter or longer..

But if you find anything out about the other kit, please pass on the info.. I'd appreciate it.. Might wanna drop an email to one of the pro-trans shop/builders that frequent this site.. Like Chris @ CKPerformance, or Steve @ Oldani Motorsports.. I may do the same b/c its got me very curious..

------------------
1981 Z28
400c.i.SBC/Edelbrock 750/Performer Intake/1-5/8" headers/MSD 6A w/HEI/700R-4/3.42posi-trac/B&M QuickSilver/3rd Gen Steering Box/KYB's /28"rear tires & a real heavy foot!!

need-for-speed
07-11-2004, 11:10:00 AM
I'm curious if the $27 bracket will do the trick as well. I will let you know what I find out.

Hey speedadict, what is involved in replacing the steering box with a 3rd gen steering box? I'm interested in that one. Was it difficult?

[This message has been edited by need-for-speed (edited July 11, 2004).]

wayner
07-12-2004, 08:49:00 AM
I got a bracket from a wrecking yard off a Pontiac carbed 305 cu. in. with a 200 4R, I used that to hold the cable, I then used the geometry corrector on my edelbrock carb. Everything lines up and I had no problem setting the TV cable.
Th edelbrock geometry corrector gives a more aggressive pull on the TV cable initially, then it balances out as you get past half throttle, this works really well with a BBC or any hi perf motor with lots of torque right at the start of the throttle movement.
My TV is set so any movement of the TV cable produces instant pressure rise on my gauge.
I have no experiance with the Bowtie throttle/Tv brackets so I can't comment. But it did seem expensive compared to other ways of accomplishing the same thing. Just my .02 worth!

------------------

need-for-speed
07-12-2004, 10:56:00 PM
Thanks Wayner. Would it be possible for you to email me a picture of this area of your carb linkage? mmugnier@gt.rr.com. I'll even post it here for inquiring minds. I'm curious as to how much my A/C bracket may interfere? Did you hold the donor carb bracket next to the Edelbrock bracket or just take measurements? I happen to own a '86 Silverado w/ a 305, a Quadrajet, and a 700R4. Thanks.

Mike

wayner
07-13-2004, 09:20:00 AM
I saw the brackets that are being sold by TCI and others to hold the cable, they appeared to be the exact same bracket I saw at the wrecking yards on almost all carbed OD trans. GM cars, I had to modify it slightly to mount it to the carb studs, but it positions the TV cable parallel to the base of the carb.
I'll try and get a pic. but I am not that computer savy, and had a heck of a time posting a pic previously. LOL!

------------------

need-for-speed
07-13-2004, 07:04:00 PM
Thanks Wayner. If you have trouble posting it here, you may find that it is much easier to email pics. I will post it for others to see.

need-for-speed
07-20-2004, 09:58:00 PM
nobody's got any pics ? http://www.nastyz28.com/ubb/frown.gif