View Full Version : Benefits of MSD

th3assass1n
04-07-2010, 01:23:11 AM
i was considering switching over to MSD but i wanted to know why its such a big difference alot of friends n such are saying to switch but i wanted to get some info about the advantages of it

mjoc
04-07-2010, 01:39:42 AM
multiple spark, stronger spark, allows use of a bit of inferior gas. And many more.

Mike

Kamikaze
04-07-2010, 01:52:00 AM
Higher efficiency through more consistent and complete combustion will yield more performance and can provide better fuel mileage if the vehicle is driven properly!

mrdragster1970
04-07-2010, 02:10:21 AM
Higher efficiency through more consistent and complete combustion will yield more performance and can provide better fuel mileage if the vehicle is driven properly!

Well put, it's all in the efficiency. It allows you to get to your max potential.
It wouldn't give you any power, but it will allow you to utilize what you have.

hhott71
04-07-2010, 06:11:24 AM
The MSD works below 3,000 RPM so the cylinder has a 2nd etc chance to fire and make some power vs losing that whole cycle in that hole.
Also it helps keep the plug from fuel fouling and continuing to misfire.

See how capitalization makes it easier to read.

kenny77
04-07-2010, 04:06:58 PM
Does it help clean up a stinky idle out of the exhaust?

Can you get it to work with HEI ?

383CamaroZ28
04-07-2010, 04:18:45 PM
could clean up the stinky idle, depending what it is

and yes works well with hei. if you do, i recommend buying the msd remote cap. this removes the coil from top of distributor, preventing it from prematurley burning out.

that and run a blaster ss coil that are like 30$

NYH1
04-07-2010, 04:42:55 PM
could clean up the stinky idle, depending what it is

and yes works well with hei. if you do, i recommend buying the msd remote cap. this removes the coil from top of distributor, preventing it from prematurley burning out.

that and run a blaster ss coil that are like 30$
Why not run the MSD coil that they make to run in the HEI cap?

74RAT
04-07-2010, 05:44:44 PM
they're hitting it perfectly. was designed during the early to mid 70's for lean burn applications. seems that it was so much better at lighting the lean mixtures and increased the efficiency of the burn at low engine speeds for everyday drivers.

i'm using the cap adapt on an HEI housing. coil and MSD6AL box are inside the car on a trans tunnel plate to isolate from engine compartment heat.

The HEI distributor design has a decent terminal spacing in the cap design to help eliminate crossfiring within the cap.

if you go this route,, don't forget the better designed carbon button that contacts the rotor. the stock ones don't last very long.
andy

74RAT
04-07-2010, 05:53:54 PM
Why not run the MSD coil that they make to run in the HEI cap?

you could,, but over the long run,, the electronics will last longer if kept away from the heat,, like within the car vs underhood. jmo.
andy

Rick WI
04-07-2010, 05:57:08 PM
If you have a perfectly adequate ignition system now you most likely won't notice a difference after the conversion.

If you have an ignition system that works fine until you hit the 200 shot of nitrous and it backfires and blows holes in your pistons, the MSD upgrade might be worth looking into.

If you have points ignition, an MSD will keep a tune better.

slimlynn1
04-07-2010, 06:28:13 PM
If you go with the MSD 6AL you also get the rev limiter for added safety!

my24ktrat
04-07-2010, 06:35:55 PM
...Also if your lazy and your carb is not tuned or spot on ,it will help with that and provide a cleaner burn. Like others have said ,don't forget the low resistance bushing under the coil , the stock ones will burn flat in no time. I'm also using a hypertech ign.coil in 1 car and an accel super coil in the other , with the MSD 6AL, no problems in the past 10 years, just my. 02, DC:bowtie:

th3assass1n
04-07-2010, 07:13:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the help im definately looking forward to puting it in. Better gas milage n power works for me:bowtie:

hhott71
04-07-2010, 07:29:18 PM
The Coil-less cap for the HEI and using the $30 Blaster Coil is a good idea too.

MSD gives instructions on how it is all wired.

Rick WI
04-07-2010, 07:44:06 PM
What makes you think you will get better mileage and more power? Are you running on 7 cylinders with the old distributor?

ZS10
04-07-2010, 09:53:58 PM
If you have a perfectly adequate ignition system now you most likely won't notice a difference after the conversion.

+1.
If you're engine and ignition system is set up and tuned the only thing you'll notice is easier starting.

mrdragster1970
04-07-2010, 09:56:19 PM

Ditto, you probably won't gain any power. That's what we all have been saying.

383CamaroZ28
04-08-2010, 09:58:52 AM
The Coil-less cap for the HEI and using the $30 Blaster Coil is a good idea too.

MSD gives instructions on how it is all wired.

exactly what i was stating!!!

with a good coil sitting on top of your distributor and a 6al box, there tends to be lots of heat which leads to everything heating and frying up

that kit is a good set up

74RAT
04-08-2010, 10:50:20 AM
agree with above^^ about the power. i've ran HEI up to 10.5:1 compression naturally aspirated without problems. but like rick stated,, if you're gonna make some serious cylinder pressures with higher compression or nitrous, or forced induction,, that is probably where you'd see some differences,, being that it either fires it or it doesn't. more cylinder pressure = more voltage needed.

basically,, on any given firing of a plug,, a coil will only put out what it takes/needs to jump the plug gap against the cylinder pressure/wiring resistance. if you create more cylinder pressure than the coil/ignition system can over come,, then it won't fire properly. excessive primary or secondary wiring resistance within the ignition system creates a similar problem as well.
andy

Rick WI
04-08-2010, 11:21:38 AM
Ding, ding. It also won't make a rich idle leaner. It may fire the plug longer before it fouls but it doesn't change the fuel ratio...no matter how many sparks.

agree with above^^ about the power. i've ran HEI up to 10.5:1 compression naturally aspirated without problems. but like rick stated,, if you're gonna make some serious cylinder pressures with higher compression or nitrous, or forced induction,, that is probably where you'd see some differences,, being that it either fires it or it doesn't. more cylinder pressure = more voltage needed.

basically,, on any given firing of a plug,, a coil will only put out what it takes/needs to jump the plug gap against the cylinder pressure/wiring resistance. if you create more cylinder pressure than the coil/ignition system can over come,, then it won't fire properly. excessive primary or secondary wiring resistance within the ignition system creates a similar problem as well.
andy

74RAT
04-08-2010, 01:44:09 PM
a few pics of how i did mine this go round with the MSD cap adapt and a firewall bulkhead connector. there's really nothing wrong with a bushing type g.m. hei housing,, if the shaft bushing is tight. they can be re-bushed when needed. hard to use with some tunnel ram and roots blower apps though.
andy

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/superfly_64_fly/74camaro/DSC01203.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/superfly_64_fly/74camaro/DSC01196.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/superfly_64_fly/74camaro/DSC01220.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/superfly_64_fly/74camaro/DSC01188.jpg

gregh
04-10-2010, 11:32:14 AM
I installed a Digital 6-Plus last year & noticed absolutely no change in the car, at idle or on the power. I'm still glad I did it because the main reason for buying the box was the auto timing retard as soon as my nitrous is activated.
No I can run my car at 40 degrees all the time & it's happy but it pulls 8 degrees as soon as the N20 system comes on.

Lowend
04-10-2010, 12:04:37 PM
The MSD system has a few benefits.
On their old display bench, I could make a 6A box cold-fire a spark 3 inches. That's a lotta power.

The best description I've been given for why the multi-spark is a good thing is:
When your intake charge goes into the combustion chamber, it isn't coming in straight, its swirling around. As the mixture "rotates" in the chamber. a multi spark will start multiple flame fronts, which makes the burn efficiency much better