View Full Version : Brake lines bent by hand?

badazz81z28
10-16-2005, 06:23:00 PM
Im deciding if I should buy a new pre-bent disc rear line or buy a straignt and bend it my self.
Origonal looks to be bent by hand. Was it?

GetMore
10-16-2005, 07:51:00 PM
When you say "by hand" if you mean actually taking the tubing in both hands and just bending it, then no. You need a die of sorts to keep the line from kinking when you bend it. My brother has used a glass bottle, but I've kinked them that way. Even the spring type of bender didn't work for me.
A tubing bender is a must, IMHO.
If you've got the patience, and the bender. then go for it.

Jet
10-16-2005, 09:16:00 PM
Benders are fairly cheap, but if you don't plan on bending tubing at any other point in time other than this, just buy the line pre-bent and go from there.

Trainman
10-16-2005, 10:21:00 PM
Having made a few attempts to bend brake lines by hand with a couple different types of benders my advice would be buy the pre-bent. I don't know what type of machine brake lines are made on but I guarantee they don't use the cheap crap brake line benders that are sold most places. If you want a 90deg bend you are pretty much stuck with a series of 4 or 5 20deg bends because the benders will not make a clean bend.

Skaal-tel 79
10-17-2005, 04:39:00 PM
Pfff brake line isn't that hard to bend. Just put a rag in a vise, and gently turn the line around the edge with your hands.

For myself, that was definetely much easier than mucking around with benders.

Brake line is such small diameter, it's really not that hard to bend just by hand. Try bending fuel line by hand >.< Now that was hard.

John Wright
10-17-2005, 05:20:00 PM
Try bending some SS lines by hand. You'll wish for the tubing bender before you make very many bends by hand. Even with a good quality tubing bender, it is pretty stiff stuff. Mild steel lines form pretty easy with your hands if you take your time and you make a gentle bend and you don't try to form a really tight radius<insert "kink" here>.

BlownBigBlock
10-17-2005, 07:07:00 PM
Bending stainless is easy, try having to do this. I think I went thru about 90ft of 3/16" line before I got it done. Now flaring it is a PITA.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/BlownBigBlock447/carbs.jpg

driftwood
10-18-2005, 08:02:00 PM
BRake line can be bent by hand,without kinking.
The key is to hold it with one hand and bend it with the other.For extremely tight 90's,you can put a socket in a vise and bend around that,or any round device.
I did a couple C/K series trucks this summer and couple sevilles.Trucks are much harder as they use 1/4 inch,that was not so fun.

tom3
10-18-2005, 08:38:00 PM
Alternator pulley grove makes a decent bender if you can use the radius. Steel lines bend pretty good, don't know about stainless, way out of my budget.